A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cats - misc
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

likes 'toy' way too much?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 21st 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Tom+Gracie+Jenny
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default likes 'toy' way too much?

We have a year old calico, and about a half year ago I got one of
these "wavy" toys. It looks like an actual squirrel tail or raccon
tail, tied to the end of the stick. The cat loved chasing it around.

Actually, it really just loved 'catching' the thing, then trying to
trot off someplace with it in its mouth. Plainly, it would absolutely
love to chance to just settle in and gnaw and gnaw on it.

I'm okay with that. It looks like it is an actual piece of a dead
animal, and this is a cat, of course.

* * * * *

The problem is that for the last two or three weeks, the cat is
pathetically active in asking to play with it, much more than before.
I do try to take it out and play with her at least five times a week
or so, but now if I even walk over near the closet where we keep it
(on the top shelf), she comes over and whines and cries and cries to
play with it. It's just too reminiscent of the way junkies feel about
heroin.

(It's on the top shelf because the cat has even done the acrobatics of
pulling the door open, then doing whatever it had to to climb up to
the toy and get it. I was there when the toy came falling down and
the cat appeared dragging it out of the closet.)

I wonder if there is some substance on the thing that the cat is
physically addicted to. She's worn out the old one, but I am
concerned about buying a new one if there's something like that on it.

Any ideas or comments? Why act 'strung out' now, after six months?

Tom

  #2  
Old April 21st 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Ketzl's Dad
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 527
Default likes 'toy' way too much?

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:42:23 -0400, Tom+Gracie+Jenny wrote:

We have a year old calico, and about a half year ago I got one of
these "wavy" toys. It looks like an actual squirrel tail or raccon
tail, tied to the end of the stick. The cat loved chasing it around.

Actually, it really just loved 'catching' the thing, then trying to
trot off someplace with it in its mouth. Plainly, it would absolutely
love to chance to just settle in and gnaw and gnaw on it.

I'm okay with that. It looks like it is an actual piece of a dead
animal, and this is a cat, of course.

* * * * *

The problem is that for the last two or three weeks, the cat is
pathetically active in asking to play with it, much more than before.
I do try to take it out and play with her at least five times a week
or so, but now if I even walk over near the closet where we keep it
(on the top shelf), she comes over and whines and cries and cries to
play with it. It's just too reminiscent of the way junkies feel about
heroin.

(It's on the top shelf because the cat has even done the acrobatics of
pulling the door open, then doing whatever it had to to climb up to
the toy and get it. I was there when the toy came falling down and
the cat appeared dragging it out of the closet.)

I wonder if there is some substance on the thing that the cat is
physically addicted to. She's worn out the old one, but I am
concerned about buying a new one if there's something like that on it.

Any ideas or comments? Why act 'strung out' now, after six months?

Tom


Ketzl has a similar "mouse on string attached to stick" toy and he's wild
about it. I leave it out all the time. He carries it to bed, or to his bowl
or to where he's sleeping on the couch. Why not just leave it out?

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

  #3  
Old April 21st 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Ted Davis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default likes 'toy' way too much?

On 21 Apr 2007 09:42:23 -0700, Tom+Gracie+Jenny
wrote:

We have a year old calico, and about a half year ago I got one of
these "wavy" toys. It looks like an actual squirrel tail or raccon
tail, tied to the end of the stick. The cat loved chasing it around.

Actually, it really just loved 'catching' the thing, then trying to
trot off someplace with it in its mouth. Plainly, it would absolutely
love to chance to just settle in and gnaw and gnaw on it.

I'm okay with that. It looks like it is an actual piece of a dead
animal, and this is a cat, of course.

* * * * *

The problem is that for the last two or three weeks, the cat is
pathetically active in asking to play with it, much more than before.
I do try to take it out and play with her at least five times a week
or so, but now if I even walk over near the closet where we keep it
(on the top shelf), she comes over and whines and cries and cries to
play with it. It's just too reminiscent of the way junkies feel about
heroin.

(It's on the top shelf because the cat has even done the acrobatics of
pulling the door open, then doing whatever it had to to climb up to
the toy and get it. I was there when the toy came falling down and
the cat appeared dragging it out of the closet.)

I wonder if there is some substance on the thing that the cat is
physically addicted to. She's worn out the old one, but I am
concerned about buying a new one if there's something like that on it.

Any ideas or comments? Why act 'strung out' now, after six months?


Your cat desperately wants to hunt and the toy is as close to a mouse
as she can find. I have seen cats treat a rabbit's foot like that,
though since my hunters can go out and actually hunt, they never got
as bad about it as your's did. She's probably also bored - get her a
companion.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead
  #4  
Old April 22nd 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Veloise
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default likes 'toy' way too much?

Tom wrote:
....
The problem is that for the last two or three weeks, the cat is
pathetically active in asking to play with it, much more than before.
I do try to take it out and play with her at least five times a week
or so, but now if I even walk over near the closet where we keep it
(on the top shelf), she comes over and whines and cries and cries to
play with it. It's just too reminiscent of the way junkies feel about
heroin.

....

Mine does that if I approach the shelf where Spot (the laser pointer)
lives when not in my hand. And he goes wild when he hears the keychain
parts rattle against each other.

Someone else said get your kittie a companion. Second!

--Karen D.

  #5  
Old April 22nd 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Noon Cat Nick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 145
Default likes 'toy' way too much?

Veloise wrote:

Tom wrote:
...


The problem is that for the last two or three weeks, the cat is
pathetically active in asking to play with it, much more than before.
I do try to take it out and play with her at least five times a week
or so, but now if I even walk over near the closet where we keep it
(on the top shelf), she comes over and whines and cries and cries to
play with it. It's just too reminiscent of the way junkies feel about
heroin.


...

Mine does that if I approach the shelf where Spot (the laser pointer)
lives when not in my hand. And he goes wild when he hears the keychain
parts rattle against each other.

Someone else said get your kittie a companion. Second!

--Karen D.



Second...or/and acquire a wider variety of cat toys.
  #6  
Old April 22nd 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Tom+Gracie+Jenny
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default likes 'toy' way too much?

Thanks to all for the interesting feedback.

"Jenny" is the one who -craves- the squirrel tail thing. Her sister
"Gracie" wasn't mentioned because, strange to say, she doesn't care a
bit about all the exercise stuff we have. Gracie just sits there and
watches Jenny do her chasing and craving.

The idea of just going with the flow, and letting Jenny sit and gnaw
on the thing all she wants -- thanks for that one, I am thinking about
it.

They've got lots of toys, but we are always ready to go out and buy
more if we hear of a good one. I may go shopping in a minute.

And thanks for the info on your cat whining about the Laser Spot --
it's good to know that cats don't have to have some sort of substance
abuse problem to act that way.

To update you on the situation Jenny is still acting wierd. Usually
she's aristocratic and standoffish, today she's coming up to me on the
couch and rubbing rubbing rubbing me like there's something she
wants. ... The two of them were neutered, but maybe there's still
something in the spring air that is disturbing her, making her a
little crazy.

Thanks again to everyone.

tom tac

  #7  
Old April 22nd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc
Ketzl's Dad
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 527
Default likes 'toy' way too much?

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:03:09 -0400, Tom+Gracie+Jenny wrote:

The idea of just going with the flow, and letting Jenny sit and gnaw
on the thing all she wants -- thanks for that one, I am thinking about
it.

They've got lots of toys, but we are always ready to go out and buy
more if we hear of a good one. I may go shopping in a minute.


I should add that I'm on the third mouse-on-string for Ketzl, but three in
five years isn't so bad! He's worth it.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my cat REALLY likes me Paul Cat health & behaviour 10 October 5th 06 01:35 AM
now he likes to make out w/ me ensoul Cat health & behaviour 12 April 23rd 06 12:30 AM
Nikki likes the box too Marina Cat anecdotes 7 April 3rd 05 11:26 PM
Really likes his scratches Ken Anderson Cat health & behaviour 13 March 25th 05 08:49 AM
cat likes the fridge Cathy Friedmann Cat health & behaviour 10 August 14th 04 12:41 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.