Tommy - Words for my soul-mate

Old April 22nd 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
EJ

Default Tommy - Words for my soul-mate

TOMMY
Words for my soul-mate.

http://rrp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/images/tommy.jpg

May you be at peace and enjoying the after-life, reunited with your big
brother and beloved friend, Alex. For many years has he waited for you to
once again be with him.

Tommy was my life.

My reason for waking in the morning. My reason for racing home from work in
the evening. Forever dreaded, was the day I would no longer feel the warmth
of his soul, his undying affection.

Tommy was no simple 'pet', or simple domesticated animal for casual
amusement, or modern day necessity to 'make' a home. He was as part of my
family as flesh and blood, and when immediate family die, a part of you dies
with them.

Tommy's love was unwavering. Tommy's love was unconditional. Tommy's love
was unbound. Free from the doubts, uncertainty or complications of a human
relationship, Tommy's affection came true and unquestionable.

I am under no illusion, or fabricating a more appealing memory to convince
myself of something which never was. I do not pretend that my experience
with Tommy was better than that of the reality. I am proud to write straight
from the heart, with full sincerity, because what I had was perfection.

Daily, I looked into Tommy's eyes as he gazed at me. As he purred, bursting
with contentment, and absolute happiness. His very stare filled my being
with reciprocal love.

He touched my soul and claimed a part of it forever. With every day that
passed with Tommy our bond grew stronger, our connection more perfect, this
I never doubted. There was no living being I felt more loved by, more happy
to be with, more alive to be around. In the final years of his life, I truly
believe he made more and more effort to demonstrate his affection, as if he
knew with each day that passed, the time of our inevitable separation crept
ever closer.

It felt like we were meant to be a part of each other's life on this planet,
and we both mutually understood the importance of making the most of the
time we had. Like two soul-mates, within his company, the worries of the
world and the burdens of everyday living were irrelevant and forgotten.

It is long remarked of the accomplishment that is to earn a cat's trust and
affection. With Tommy, it ran deeper. As we grew together, I couldn't bear
to be away from him, every moment apart I would miss his companionship, his
love, reinforced with every moment that I spent with him. He was like a drug
I couldn't live without.

When I would return from work he would already be expectantly running
towards the end of the drive. Either he knew the sound of my car or a sixth
sense was in play.

When on my computer he would either settle atop the tower or nestle onto my
lap. Even though he was a stocky, well built cat and was little room to
comfortably nap. He was content to just sit, leaning into me, constantly
purring as he repeatedly tilted his head upwards, assuring me of his
devotion with those adoring eyes.

When in the bathroom, I could guarantee he would be waiting behind the
closed door, regularly he would rest at the top of the stairs, keeping watch
of all entering the house, and when it was time for bed he would express
excitement at the prospect of snuggling up for the night. Even if his
estranged, non-biological sibling had beaten him onto the bed, he would
tentatively creep into the room and grab a spot at the bottom.

Wherever his spirit has travelled to, whichever level of existence there may
or may not be after this fragile, cruel mortal life, Tommy carries a part of
me with him, which remains his forever.

Gone are the days I will awake in the morning and feel him there. To cuddle
and hold him, happy that whatever life throws at me, Tommy will be there to
make it all bearable.

My world has been torn apart since his passing. At 13 years of age, yet
still full of life and affection, I was convinced he would live and enjoy a
full life with me, for many more years to come.

As I lie beside his broken, lifeless body, here in the very garden he would
play and relax, the very reality of his tragic death is still unfolding.

With each moment that passes now, he is dragging my soul into a dark, cold
void of hatred for life, for the metaphysical existence we are all
involuntarily born into. Where loved ones must die, where innocent beings
have their lives stolen from them, where pain is all too common.

Tommy came to us in 1994 from a litter, all needing homes. Tommy was the
last, and in pity of such an adorable kitten, my brother brought him home to
us. Here he quickly settled in and established himself as my beloved friend.

On Thursday 19th of April, 2007, around 10:00am he was taken from me, at the
mercy of road traffic.

It seems all so typically cruel of life, that I recently declined a job and
great career opportunity, partially because it would reduce my time
expenditure with Tommy. Now this reason no longer exists, yet it is too late
to change my decision.

Many would disagree and mock the level of emotion I felt for Tommy, frown
upon me as weird, that my priorities are misplaced, and that I should commit
the devotion put into my furry friends into people instead.

I can not help feeling this way, I have no control over it. It is who I am,
what I am. I have been this way since the start and will be until the end.

People are selfish, deceptive, materialistic, unnecessarily cruel, evil,
manipulative and never fail to disappoint. If a cat decides to let you
become part of its life, there will be no mystery, or misunderstanding. They
will simply love you for who and what you are, and be a comfort to you for
all of their days.

"Time spent with cats is never wasted", Sigmund Freud

Time spent with Tommy was never time wasted. And even when I had no reason
to believe Tommy would be leaving me, I still constantly thanked fate for
bringing us together, while bathing in the joy of holding him close to my
face and deeply inhaling, to taste and smell the warmth of his being.

FINAL WORDS
I commit these words to paper to remind myself in the years to come, just
how strongly I felt for my best, most beloved friend. That he truly was my
everything, that he truly did break my heart, that life lived during his was
an honour, and joy and to be forever cherished.

I loved him to the point that I could love no more.

Old April 22nd 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 15:48:43 +0000, EJ wrote:

[...]

A beautiful tribute!
" ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences. MLB

Old April 22nd 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 22 Apr, 16:48, "EJ" wrote:
[...]

What a wonderful tribute.

I am so sorry that he was taken from you so unexpectedly & share your
grief for a beloved pet who meant your reason for life. At this stage
in grief, words don't mean very much. but I assure you that he will be
there waiting to meet you @ the other side of the Rainbow Bridge when
your time comes to join him....

Accept our sincere condolences....
Sheelagh

Old April 22nd 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"mlbriggs" wrote
" ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences. MLB

I always know you are going to say that, and I always
like it when you do. Every time.

Old April 22nd 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"EJ" wrote in message
. uk...
TOMMY
Words for my soul-mate.

http://rrp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/images/tommy.jpg

May you be at peace and enjoying the after-life, reunited with your big
brother and beloved friend, Alex. For many years has he waited for you to
once again be with him.

Tommy was my life.

What a beautiful, loving tribute to Tommy. When you feel able, I hope you
will adopt another cat. There is never a way to replace those we loved, but
you can love another -- and that will also be a special tribute to your love
for Tommy and your knowledge that our cats are part of our family.

MaryL

Old April 22nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:34:02 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote
" ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences. MLB

I always know you are going to say that, and I always
like it when you do. Every time.

It says everything IMHO. Have you ever read the whole poem?
You can find it on the web just by typing in that line. MLB
Old April 22nd 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:34:02 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote
" ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences. MLB

I always know you are going to say that, and I always
like it when you do. Every time.

It says everything IMHO. Have you ever read the whole poem?
You can find it on the web just by typing in that line. MLB

I remember those words (or very similar) from many years ago, and they are
haunting. However, I have not been able to find the poem. I have pasted
those words into google on several occasions and even tried to search by the
name of the person I "thought" might be the author. No luck! So, can you
supply more information? -- a title or author?

Thanks,
MaryL

Old April 22nd 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:56:27 -0500, MaryL wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:34:02 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote
" ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences. MLB

I always know you are going to say that, and I always
like it when you do. Every time.

It says everything IMHO. Have you ever read the whole poem?
You can find it on the web just by typing in that line. MLB

I remember those words (or very similar) from many years ago, and they are
haunting. However, I have not been able to find the poem. I have pasted
those words into google on several occasions and even tried to search by the
name of the person I "thought" might be the author. No luck! So, can you
supply more information? -- a title or author?

Thanks,
MaryL

I just now typed it on Yahoo and it came up. The author is Diane
Robertson. The poem was published in Bereavement Magazine March/April
1992. Here is the URL:

http://www.thecompasionatefriendsmpl...gel_page_m.htm

I hope it works. MLB

Old April 22nd 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:56:27 -0500, MaryL wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks. I haven't been able to open that page but will try again later.
The interesting thing is that I now have another link with a different
author:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Emm...?tstamp=200611. And I
seem to remember those words from a much older source (that I haven't
located). I wonder if this is one of those poems with various attributions?
Whoever it is, the words are beautiful and haunting.

MaryL

Old April 23rd 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

Hi,
That link is no good, here's what seems to be the link you were trying to
give but this version is an exerpt & not quite the same, still very beautiful
though.
M.

http://www.bereavementmag.com/riseupslowly.asp

Rise Up Slowly, Angel (excerpt)
Rise Up Slowly, Angel
by Diane Robertson
Foxboro, Massachusetts

Rise up slowly, Angel.
I cannot let you go.
Just drift softly 'midst the faces,
In sorrow now bent low.

Ease the searing anger,
Born in harsh, unyielding truth
That Death could steal my loved one
From the glowing blush of youth.

Rise up slowly, Angel.
Do not leave me here, alone,
Where the warmth of mortal essence
Lies replaced by cold, hard stone.

mlbriggs wrote:
" ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences. MLB

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]