Old Cat Sneezing...update

Old April 22nd 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Old Cat Sneezing...update

I have called the after hours clinic. A vet was supposed to call me
back, but hasn't.
I am going to call again.
D.C. doesn't seem to be getting any worse.
He's still acting like his old self...but he's very mucousy.
Thanks for all of the responses.
Off to call the vet again.

Ann

Old April 22nd 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have called the after hours clinic. A vet was supposed to call me
back, but hasn't.
I am going to call again.
D.C. doesn't seem to be getting any worse.
He's still acting like his old self...but he's very mucousy.
Thanks for all of the responses.
Off to call the vet again.

----------
You sound like a great cat mom. Please keep updating us.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 22nd 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:05:15 GMT, " astewart7
@cogeco.ca wrote:

I have called the after hours clinic. A vet was supposed to call me
back, but hasn't.
I am going to call again.
D.C. doesn't seem to be getting any worse.
He's still acting like his old self...but he's very mucousy.
Thanks for all of the responses.
Off to call the vet again.

One thing you can do while you wait for the vet to call is steam up the
bathroom, with as much steam as you can generate. After you turn off the
shower, take him in there with you for as long as you can stand it,
perhaps with a bowl of fresh water. Do this every few hours and that
will help ease his congestion.

If he isn't drinking, he is at risk for becoming dehydrated. If he likes
to drink from the sink, perhaps you could turn on the tap in the sink
while he is getting his steam in the bathroom. If his appetite has been
off, which it may be because of the congestion (most cats won't eat if
they can't smell), you can try a few tricks. If he eats wet food, heat
it in the microwave briefly (make sure there are no hot spots). That
will make the smell stronger and may entice him. He will also get some
hydration from the wet food. If he is uninterested, you could try
rubbing a little on his paws and he may lick it off. If he only eats
dry, you can try adding a bit of water to it, put it down and stir it
while he watches. He may find that novel and it may entice him to at
least lick the water off his kibble.

Do you have an emergency vet hospital anywhere in your area? You
probably do, and now would be a good time to make sure you have their
number and know how to get there, just in case. Hopefully you won't need
them. FYI, the green mucous is a sign of infection. Senior cats have a
tough time with infection and he's very likely to need antibiotics.

Let us know how he does!!

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
Old April 23rd 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Ok, so the vet called me back. The answering service got my number
wrong.
We don't have an emergency vet in our area. We call our regular vet
and then who ever is on call from the area vet clinics takes the
call....
So, I explained the situation...15 year old indoor cat, thick, green
mucous, sneezing, runny eyes.....
He agreed that it was likely an upper resp. infection and suggested
that I take D.C. to my regular vet tomorrow.
I explained that I am going to be out of the city tomorrow. If this
wasn't important I would reschedule, but this is an appointment for my
son 3 hours away and we've been waiting for this appointment for close
to three months....
So, I explain to him that I'm out of the city.
He says to take the cat in on Tuesday.
I explain that I also have 3 other cats and that I'd prefer that they
not get this....nope...Tuesday.
My other cats are not young ones either, however he is the eldest.
Two of them are 10 and the youngest is 8.
So far D.C. is acting like his normal self.
He's 15, he sleeps a lot at the best of times....however, he is a real
food mooch and tonight was no exception.
Tonight we were having pork chops...which he loves...so he got a tiny
bit.
He's been drinking and I saw him using the litter box.
Because none of my cats go outdoors and we haven't had any cats in he
thinks this may just be an age related thing.
Keep your fingers crossed for my old guy.
He's a real survivor and I'd hate to see him go this way.

Thanks for all the support and advice.
I am going to take him into the bathroom to "steam" him.

Ann

Old April 23rd 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Please keep us updated.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 23rd 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 23 Apr 2007 00:53:56 GMT, " astewart7
@cogeco.ca wrote:

So far D.C. is acting like his normal self.
He's 15, he sleeps a lot at the best of times....however, he is a real
food mooch and tonight was no exception.
Tonight we were having pork chops...which he loves...so he got a tiny
bit.
He's been drinking and I saw him using the litter box.

He sounds like he is fine for now, so try not to worry. I understand
about waiting months and months for appointments, and honestly, since
he's eating, drinking, using the litter tray and acting normal, I don't
think you need to drop everything. Since your vet agrees, I hope you are
comfortable with waiting until Tuesday.

Because none of my cats go outdoors and we haven't had any cats in he
thinks this may just be an age related thing.
Keep your fingers crossed for my old guy.
He's a real survivor and I'd hate to see him go this way.

Thanks for all the support and advice.
I am going to take him into the bathroom to "steam" him.

The steam really helps my little one who gets frequent URI's due to FHV.
You sound like a wonderful cat owner, and I really hope you won't be
fretting tomorrow about him. I also hope that when you get home he will
be feeling better. I'd still take him in on Tuesday to make sure his
lungs are clear and get him on antibiotics if your vet thinks he needs
them. Will you let us know how he fares?

Old April 23rd 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:53:56 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Sending purrs for the cold to clear up fast. MLB

Old April 23rd 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On 22 Apr 2007 17:53:56 -0700, "
wrote:

I explain that I also have 3 other cats and that I'd prefer that they
not get this....nope...Tuesday.

I would keep him separated.

Last month, my mom's cat was sick. Runny nose, sneezing, breathing
sounded horrible. She was acting and eating normally. She was treated
and got better.

Just as she got better, my cat got it. His breathing was fine, and he
wasn't as snotty, but he was dehydrated, got a fever, stopped eating,
and was truly miserable, just sleeping all day. His treatment cost
twice as much as the first cat because he needed a shot of antibiotics
to get his fever down faster than the pills could do it. He needed
fluids. And because he is larger, he needed a larger dosage of pills.

As he got over it, my nephew's cat got it. Thankfully, he only sneezed
for 2 days and got over it without medication. We really thought we
would be going back to the vet with him too.

Definitely keep them separated if you can. And clean their common
areas. Clean the food bowls, water bowls, cat trees, sleeping areas,
etc.

Old cat sneezing [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 April 22nd 07 06:26 PM
cat sneezing Maxine G Cat health & behaviour 0 October 20th 06 03:14 AM
cat sneezing Laila Cat health & behaviour 2 June 26th 06 05:09 PM
Cat Sneezing Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 7 January 10th 06 07:05 AM
sneezing Karen Cat health & behaviour 40 July 3rd 04 11:54 PM