which pet food companies manufacture their foods themselves?

Old April 29th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rona Y.

Default which pet food companies manufacture their foods themselves?

I've been reading a lot about the food recalls. My vet, without
naming names of companies, suggests not to buy brands of pet food
which are a) manufactured by large multi-product companies (why would
you buy pet food from a company that makes laundry detergent, she
says), or b) from companies which merely rebrand the food, while not
actually manufacturing it themselves. We should be buying foods which
the company manufactures itself, so it has full control over the
process.

I know a lot of companies which meet her "do not buy" criteria, but I
don't know of many which would fall under the "buy this" criteria.

So which companies manufacture their own foods? Hill's used to, do
they still? Royal Canin? I know they were affected by the recall,
but do they manufacture their own foods? How about Waltham?

I feed my cat Hill's CD because she has problems with crystals. I
know Hill's had one food affected by the recall, but all their other
foods are so far safe from both the gluten and rice protein recall. I
feel relatively safe so far, but I still worry, so am looking for
other foods, too.

Old April 29th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

Rona Y. wote:

http://tinyurl.com/ywhb3c

Old April 29th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rona Y.

On Apr 29, 11:28 am, Barry wrote:
Rona Y. wote:

I feed my cat Hill's CD because she has problems with crystals. I
know Hill's had one food affected by the recall, but all their other
foods are so far safe from both the gluten and rice protein recall. I
feel relatively safe so far, but I still worry, so am looking for
other foods, too.

http://tinyurl.com/ywhb3c

Thanks, but unfortunately most of the links that are produced by that
search have nothing to do with the topic.

Of all those links, only one gave any pertinent information.
Apparently Bench&Field manufactures their own food, but from what I
can tell, it's only available in the US, and it's only available as a
dry food (not sure about that, but the guaranteed analysis max. for
moisture is only 10% --my cat *has* to have wet food to help prevent
crystals. Nonetheless, I will write to them to find out the dry
matter analysis or as fed analysis of their food. They only offer
guaranteed analysis on their website, which always makes me wary (plus
they have a lot of "healthful" crap listed as ingredients--last I
checked, my cat didn't like beets.

Old April 29th 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Apr 29, 2:23 am, "Rona Y." wrote:
On Apr 29, 11:28 am, Barry wrote:

Rona Y. wote:

[...]

bloe it outcha ass

Old April 29th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

Rona Y. wrote:
On Apr 29, 11:28 am, Barry wrote:
Rona Y. wote:

[...]

Modify the search parameters from what was provided in that link to
include quotes like this "cat food"

Leave the rest of the search string alone. That modification
significantly cuts down on the links you need to wade through.

The original search parameters will include anything that has EITHER the
words 'cat' and/or 'food', but not the phrase 'cat food'.

Old April 29th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Rona Y." wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my ferals
is Purina.

I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they use
fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
"least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
varies with market prices.

Phil

Old April 29th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Apr 29, 5:10 am, Joe Canuck wrote:
Rona Y. wrote:
On Apr 29, 11:28 am, Barry wrote:
Rona Y. wote:

[...]

psss psss, you've got a pussy hair right there! between your teeth.
it LOOKS like a pussy hair anyway.

Old April 29th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rona Y.

On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Phil P." wrote:

The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my ferals
is Purina.

I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they use
fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
"least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
varies with market prices.

Phil-

What happened to make you think they're using "least cost formulation"
now? Not being combative, just wondering. I haven't read anything
recently, but I've not been looking, either...

Why do you feel Purina is the most trustworthy company? Are there any
particular Purina foods (wet) that you favour? Ones that would be
particularly good for cats with histories of struvite crystals?

Thanks!

Old April 29th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Apr 29, 7:21 am, "Rona Y." wrote:
On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Phil P." wrote:

The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my ferals
is Purina.

I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they use
fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
"least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
varies with market prices.

Phil-

What happened to make you think they're using "least cost formulation"
now? Not being combative, just wondering. I haven't read anything
recently, but I've not been looking, either...

Why do you feel Purina is the most trustworthy company? Are there any
particular Purina foods (wet) that you favour? Ones that would be
particularly good for cats with histories of struvite crystals?

Thanks!

he's not going to answer you because you was bitchy with me

Phil is my best friend AND neighbor.

Old April 29th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rona Y." wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Phil P." wrote:

The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my
ferals
is Purina.

I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they
use
fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
"least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
varies with market prices.

Phil-

What happened to make you think they're using "least cost formulation"
now? Not being combative, just wondering. I haven't read anything
recently, but I've not been looking, either...

Um, the fact that the cheapest wheat gluten around, the tainted
Chinese wheat gluten? That was a dead giveaway.