TIGGY HAS BAD BREATH

Old May 10th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default TIGGY HAS BAD BREATH

In the last 2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.

Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
I'm stumped.

We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(

S;o)

Old May 10th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

sheelagh wrote:

In the last 2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.

Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
I'm stumped.

We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(

S;o)

It could be a gastrointestinal situation. Halitosis in cats often comes
from the stomach and esophagus. Food isn't being digested adequately,
and is moving too slowly through the digestive tract, causing abnormal
bacteria populations to populate the system.

Tiggy might have also eaten something unusual. If she scavenged through
garbage somewhere, ate certain plants, or consumed something
indigestible, any of those could also cause odoriferous breath.

HTH.
Old May 10th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Hairballs. They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
year she could have a stomach full of them.

Old May 10th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On 10 May 2007 06:03:52 -0700, sheelagh
wrote:

In the last 2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.

Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
I'm stumped.

We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(

S;o)

My guess?

Go to your supermarket and get some acidophilus/Bifidobacterium/etc
capsules. Include a little at feeding time once a month( ¼ capsule
with food) This should get your cats intestinal tract working
efficiently (good for you too). Not a laxative just gets their/your
number two's shiny and regular
These are naturally occurring intestinal bacteria (Flora) often killed
off by modern food preservatives medicines etc
***
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs...1005#search=%2...
or http://tinyurl.com/ktpe3

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance-Probiotic strain L acidophilus
DSM13241 fed at 2 × 108 CFU/d can alter the balance of
gastrointestinal microflora in healthy cats. Furthermore,
administration of this probiotic results in beneficial systemic and
immunomodulatory effects in cats.
***

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml
Old May 10th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 10 May, 16:01, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:
sheelagh wrote:
[...]

HTH.- Hide quoted text -

I haven't changed her food recently..she is eating Iams Kitten dry
with 2 pouches of whiskers kitten food too (wet meat) currently,
because she needed to gain a little weight after her kittens were born
& she had her pyorectamy was performed. However, I did catch her
nibbling @ a square of toilet paper the other day. I wonder if that
has anything to do with it? Perhaps she is asking for a good dose of
grass to eat? She does need some occasionally. Thanks for the
suggestion NCN. I think it is something to do with what she is eating,
but I can't put my finger on what...?

She is a 3 year old female spayed cat (quite recently!!) & other than
the pyometra & a nasty does of ring worm, very kindly supplied from
her breeder, we have never had any other difficulties with her.
Strange, isn't it?
S;o)

Old May 10th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 10 May, 19:47, Buddy's Mom wrote:
[...]

S;o)- Hide quoted text -

I think this might be the problem you know.
She does produce some wonderful ones
Yeeeuucky

She very often sits there retching to get one up. Whenever this
happens, we normally allow her out for a quick nibble of grass to help
the process along a little, because it seems to do the trick..& yes,
they do stink too!!
I think you might have put your finger on this one for me between
you.
Thanks BM!

Other than grass, is there anything that I can give her to help out
with this problem?
All of the others have Hair- balls, but no where near to the extent
that Tiggy does.. I feel for her with this problem. It can't be all
that much fun, poor thing!?
S;o)

Old May 11th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On 10 May 2007 15:49:10 -0700, sheelagh
wrote:

[...]

Brushing will help remove loose fur and stop cause of hairball's
Meantime a (laxative) teaspoon of "Flaxseed Oil" will purge system

Again occasional feeding of acidophilus from Supermarket health
department/shelf get cats intestinal system back on/in gear

Australian example
http://www.alternativehealth.com.au/Product/innerhealth.htm

Yogurt full cream (no sugar) contains this if a cat will eat
desertspoon full of it? Mine don't

Petzl
--
SECURE YOUR WINDOWS COMPUTER NOW!!
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp Keep Windows UPDATED

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 AVG 7.0 Free Edition" Anti-Virus

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx Check your computer for "SpyWare" (free MS Product)

http://www.zonelabs.com/ a good firewall for windows(free version available)

http://www.password-depot.com/index.htm Use a Password Saver on USB removable drive to store passwords
Old May 11th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 10 May, 23:49, sheelagh wrote:
[...]

there are foods specifically for cats with hairball problems aren't
there? royal canin and those companies make them, never had recourse
to try them so don't know how effective they are, never had a cat with
bad hairballs problems as never had a long haired cat I suppose, or
maybe our shorthaired ones had hairball issues but chose to deal with
them outside where we couldn't see all the retching.

if it is hairballs then give those a go, or you can get stuff liek a
white paraffin jelly fromthe evts which can help stuff liek fluff hair
and toilet paper go through her more easily if that is causing a
blockage and the smell. I know this as when tegan used to eat people's
jumpers and anything fluffy (before she learnt her lesson with the
pyjama cord and a long stay in the vets surgery) the vet gave us this
stuff to help ease through any odd stuff she had decided to munch, on
the few occaisons when we were not vigilant and left out a towel or
sweater that is.

have you not asked your vet? I am sure they won't mind if you just
ring them up and quickly ask? you are on their books now.
how are things proceeding with reporting the other vets who nearly
murdered lilly?

bookie

Old May 11th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I use Temptations for Hairballs - about 10 per day seem to keep them
cleaned out - and brushing or combing them as mcuh as possible helps
too. But no one really understands the smell and problems that
hairballs cause - not even the vets! Good luck!

Old May 11th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

wrote:
[...]

http://www.password-depot.com/index.htm Use a Password Saver on USB removable drive to store passwords- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that one mate. she has just had a desert spoon full of full
fat yogurt. Now she has one foot on the spoon looking @ me as if to
see.." & just how long have y'all been hiding this & depriving me...."
I hope it does the trick @ the right end, lol!!
S;o) Ta for that