Vomiting cat question

Old May 13th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Adilah

Default Vomiting cat question

Hello members of r.p.c.h+v,

I am hoping you will help settle an argument that my partner and I
have been having about our 17-year old Burmese.

Ozzie, like just about every cat I have ever known, vomits sometimes.
Usually on the floor, but occasionally on the new sofa. I usually
just sigh and clean up the puke, but my partner seems to think he can
"train" Ozzie not to vomit on the sofa by rubbing his nose in it and
saying "NO" very loudly. He has also dealt with the occasional litter
box accident by rubbing his nose in it, screaming "NO," and then
shoving the cat into his litter box where he is "supposed to go."

Now, I am aware that the "rubbing the nose in it" method is useful for
dogs, but I feel that this is not only useless for cats, but is even
traumatizing. My partner, however, claims that he has previously
"trained" cats not to vomit on beds/sofas by doing the rubbing-the-
nose-in-it thing. I get very angry at him when he does this to Ozzie,
and he then accuses me of coddling and spoiling the cat.

I would be very interested to hear the opinions of any cat lovers on
this newsgroup. Thank you in advance for your replies!

Cheers,

Adilah

Old May 13th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

Adilah wrote:
[...]

Your partner is wrong.
Old May 13th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

No, this will NOT work and will only make the cat afraid of your partner.
Vomiting is usually a symptom associated with a physical problem and cannot
be helped. You need to find the source of the problem.
Gail
ups.com...

Old May 13th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Adilah" wrote in message
[...]

--------
Rubbing an animal's nose in something (cat or dog of any age) is cruel and
useless. All it does is frighten the animal. You don't even do that when
you're housebreaking a puppy. And it's particularly cruel when it is being
perpetrated on an elderly animal (a 17-year-old cat is a senior citizen). If
your partner had an incontinent grandfather, would he rub grandpa's nose in
his underwear? If grandpa threw up in his bed, would your partner rub his
nose in it? Your cat is vomiting because he has a tummy ache or a furball or
is feeling ill. He is having litterbox accidents because he is OLD and can't
always make it to the bathroom (litterbox) in time. The situation is likely
to continue to deteriorate because Ozzie is getting older not younger, and
being cruel to him and scaring him is only going to make the situation
worse. Ozzie is going to continue to vomit on the couch and sometimes miss
the litter box. You should coddle and spoil Ozzie because he has been your
friend all these years and he is OLD and needs your understanding. Ask your
partner if he would like his nose rubbed in his vomit or urine when he gets
old and incontinent.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old May 13th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Adilah wrote:

[...]

What your partner is doing is wholly ineffective, and also borders on
the abusive. Animals respond much better to positive reinforcement than
to negative. The only reazon Ozzie would ever stop vomiting on the sofa
is out of fear of your partner, which is bad. It might have worked for
him in the past, but not for the proper reasons.

You need to take Ozzie to the vet to find out the physical cause. And it
also sounds as if your partner could use some lessons in how to treat
companion animals...and perhaps some anger management therapy as well.
Old May 13th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

Mine sometimes licks her vomit so it might not work.

Old May 13th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Running Scissors

Joe Canuck wrote:

Adilah wrote:

[...]

Not to mention a little demented. Shoving a cat is abusive.
Old May 13th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sun, 13 May 2007 07:37:01 -0700, Adilah wrote:

[...]

He sounds sadistic and rather stupid. Maybe you would get better results
if he rubbed his own nose in it. But he was probably treated that way
when he was a child. Does he ever read a book?

Old May 13th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 13 May, 16:44, "cindys" wrote:
"Adilah" wrote in message

[...]

---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

I agree in full with this statement.
How sad.
Sheelagh

Old May 13th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On 13 May 2007 11:51:38 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

On 13 May, 16:44, "cindys" wrote:
"Adilah" wrote in message

[...]

I agree too. When my Grady was sick and vomiting, I would never have
dreamed of pushing his nose in it. I knew it wasn't his fault. And, when
he began not quite making it to the litter box, I never said anything, I
just cleaned it up. He was sick and I knew his days were limited and I
just spent all the time I could loving him in the short time that he had
left.

Patty

cat vomiting [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 13 September 15th 06 02:35 AM
Vomiting Cat Monica via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 7 July 16th 05 05:13 AM
Vomiting cat bookbug2005 Cat health & behaviour 69 April 10th 05 09:42 PM
Vomiting cat bookbug2005 Cats - misc 57 April 10th 05 09:42 PM
Please Help Cat Vomiting.. Pelusa Cat health & behaviour 14 October 8th 04 12:47 AM