soft food for tooth extraction recovery?

Old May 15th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
whirlygirly

Default soft food for tooth extraction recovery?

Gobo had to have an abscessed tooth removed over the weekend. Her
appetite's ok but she's having trouble eating her normal dry food. I
softened some with some warm water but she didn't seem too interested in
that, she just licked off the liquid and left the food alone. Can't say
I blame her- yuck! But, I don't trust any of the commercial wet foods
right now. So I bought some ground turkey and cooked it for her and she
ate some of that, and I gave her a couple spoonfuls of plain yogurt for
a treat. Any other suggestions, or anything else I should be adding to
that?

TIA~
becca
--
"I like that people say it's harder to quit smoking than to kick heroin.
This makes me feel really good because now I know I can develop a heroin
Old May 15th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Sherry

On May 14, 11:41 pm, whirlygirly
wrote:
Gobo had to have an abscessed tooth removed over the weekend. Her
appetite's ok but she's having trouble eating her normal dry food. I
softened some with some warm water but she didn't seem too interested in
that, she just licked off the liquid and left the food alone. Can't say
I blame her- yuck! But, I don't trust any of the commercial wet foods
right now. So I bought some ground turkey and cooked it for her and she
ate some of that, and I gave her a couple spoonfuls of plain yogurt for
a treat. Any other suggestions, or anything else I should be adding to
that?

TIA~

Cats generally like turkey or chicken baby food when they're not
feeling well. (be sure there's
no onion in it). Ground turkey is good, or you could run most any kind
of meat through
a foodchopper and puree it, but don't get her spoiled! She needs the
nutrients in her
cat food.
We've discussed this to death on here, but I see no reason to distrust
all canned foods. Just use common sense in choosing one.
You'll be surprised how quickly her mouth heals and she's back eating
regularly. Hope it all goes well with her.

Sherry

Old May 15th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Yugo

whirlygirly wrote:

I don't trust any of the commercial wet foods
right now.

Why? Most are OK. Only those with sauce thickened with wheat gluten
containing melamine is dangerous. Check the FDA list. Of course, now
it also seems Royal Canin has problems with dry food containing tarces
of melamin. And well, search, search.... the story is more complicated
than it seemed through the FDA first reports. See:

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia9929.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/business/worldbusiness/30food.html?ex=1335672000&en=b143bd4a5d0684b6& ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Now, I begin to understand why IAMS' and Maxi's 1st Nutrition (I
believe it is called, manufactured by IAMS) were recalled.

Old May 16th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
whirlygirly

Yugo wrote:
whirlygirly wrote:

I don't trust any of the commercial wet foods right now.

Why? Most are OK. Only those with sauce thickened with wheat gluten
containing melamine is dangerous. Check the FDA list.

Oh, I *know* that the ones still on the shelves are probably OK, and I
would check ingredients for sure, and the FDA list.. but there's still
that little voice in the back of my head, you know?

When the recall was first announced, I had 4 packets of a food that was
on the list. The dates on the packets weren't on the list and my cats
had eaten a few other packets from that same batch without incident, but
I threw the rest of them away. Just don't want to take any chances when
it comes to my kitties. So for now, I'd rather cook her a bit of turkey
myself.

becca
Old May 16th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
whirlygirly

wrote:
[...]

Thanks! Baby food without onion powder in it is surprisingly hard to
find, as it turns out (at least at my usual grocery store). So I threw
some of the turkey I'd cooked for her into the blender and made her a
turkey smoothie.. yum! The hub got her to eat some crunchy treats
today, so I think she's about ready for the dry food again. It seems
like the trouble is not so much eating it, but figuring out how to pick
it up with that tooth missing.

Other than that, she seems to be back to her old self!

becca