Cat's ears--how far down can I go?

Old May 18th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
New cat owner

Default Cat's ears--how far down can I go?

I am a new cat owner--I adopted a stray young cat dropped off at my
cousin's house Thanksgiving.

He has been having a problem with one of his ears. Vet said it was a
yeast infection and gave me some drops to use for two weeks. I came
up north for the summer and wanted to make sure the ear was cleared up
and took him to a vet. Drops did not take care of the problem and I
had the new vet pull a culture and he is on some new drops for a week.

In the office, she put a swab down and got the debris out.

My Question: Exactly how far down a cat's ear can you go? It
looked like they went pretty far down. I am wondering if I didn't get
the first round of drops down far enough.

Whenever I have gone to the vet, I always make her examine the ears to
make sure they are okay. Flurry is on Revolution, so I don't have to
worry about ear mites.

Old May 18th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On May 18, 7:58 am, New cat owner wrote:
I am a new cat owner--I adopted a stray young cat dropped off at my
cousin's house Thanksgiving.

He has been having a problem with one of his ears. Vet said it was a
yeast infection and gave me some drops to use for two weeks. I came
up north for the summer and wanted to make sure the ear was cleared up
and took him to a vet. Drops did not take care of the problem and I
had the new vet pull a culture and he is on some new drops for a week.

In the office, she put a swab down and got the debris out.

My Question: Exactly how far down a cat's ear can you go? It
looked like they went pretty far down. I am wondering if I didn't get
the first round of drops down far enough.

I'd personally *not* use a swab in a cat's ear. If I need to wipe out
a cat's ear, I use a Kleenex and wipe out the outermost part (what you
can see when looking into their ears). I don't go deep inside for fear
of damaging/hurting their hearing.

It's possible the infection your cat has just didn't respond to the
first round of drops you used. What did the culture show?

Rene

Old May 19th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
New cat owner

It's possible the infection your cat has just didn't respond to the
first round of drops you used. What did the culture show?

Rene

The first vet did a swab and looked at it right away and said it was
yeast. The culture done up here in the north was sent to the State
University. They told me it could take two weeks to get the results
back.

Old May 21st 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On May 18, 10:49 pm, New cat owner wrote:
It's possible the infection your cat has just didn't respond to the
first round of drops you used. What did the culture show?

Rene

The first vet did a swab and looked at it right away and said it was
yeast. The culture done up here in the north was sent to the State
University. They told me it could take two weeks to get the results
back.

Wow, two weeks! I guess all you can do is finish out the second round
of drops, get the results, and see what the next step is.

Old May 21st 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lisa C

Yes, I was shocked also. At a hospital you get results in 2 days. He
seems not to be shaking and scratching at his ear so much, so maybe
these drops are working---Transaderm (? spelling).