Afraid to have my cats teeth cleaned

Old May 23rd 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

Default Afraid to have my cats teeth cleaned

On May 23, 9:00 am, Running Scissors wrote:
Tara Legale wrote:
I am so afraid to have my cats teeth cleaned. I'm petrified of losing her
during the sedation. She is going on nine, means the world to me, I'd be
devastated if I took her in and she died. I've already lost two pets in my
lifetime to anesthesia. I know her back teeth are very heavy with tartar
and plaque and I know when she gets older without the cleaning theres the
increased chance of heart disease. I'm besides myself here.

Pay extra for the blood test they do beforehand to make sure the
sedative is given correctly. I felt the same way about my cat's teeth
cleaning but he had gum disease and had to have it done in order to
eliminate the threat of heart problems.

Best of luck - be strong.

I'm going to be judgmental here, and say that no vet should be
anesthetizing an animal without doing a pre-anesthesia blood
screening. A lot of owners won't know enough to insist if the vet
doesn't suggest it, but it's really, really important.

Lis