Cat sprayed in floor registers

Old May 24th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JulieF.

Default Cat sprayed in floor registers

Greetings, I have a 12-year old tom cat who was neutered at a young
age but has recently started spraying around the house. He has
actually sprayed inside our floor registers, so that when the heat
comes one, the foul odor of cat pee is all through our house . I'm not
sure what to do to get rid of the odor, and was hoping someone in this
group would have suggestions.

Thanks very much,
Julie

Old May 24th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 23 May 2007 10:09:43p, JulieF. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

Greetings, I have a 12-year old tom cat who was neutered at a
young age but has recently started spraying around the house. He
has actually sprayed inside our floor registers, so that when
the heat comes one, the foul odor of cat pee is all through our
house . I'm not sure what to do to get rid of the odor, and was
hoping someone in this group would have suggestions.

Thanks very much,
Julie

Icky problem! If this were me, I'd have kitty checked out by the
vet since this is a new behavior, so it is probably health-related.
Then I'd add another litter box or two depending on the size of
your house, and for the odor, I'd call a professional heating duct
cleaner company and tell them what happened and they'd have the
appropriate cleaning/deodorizing treatment for it. For other pee
"targets" clean thoroughly with enzymic liquid cleaners (sold in
pet stores like Petco) by thoroughly saturating the areas, letting
it dry, then repeat if necessary.

--
Cheryl

Old May 24th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

JulieF. wrote:

Greetings, I have a 12-year old tom cat who was neutered at a young
age but has recently started spraying around the house. He has
actually sprayed inside our floor registers, so that when the heat
comes one, the foul odor of cat pee is all through our house . I'm not
sure what to do to get rid of the odor, and was hoping someone in this
group would have suggestions.

Thanks very much,
Julie

You need to go to a pet supply store (Petco, PetSmart, et al.) and buy
an enzymatic cleaner. Be aware that these cleansers vary widely in
effectiveness. A proper enzymatic cleaner will actually eat the uric
acid crystals. There are also special black lights sold in pet stores
that, in a darkened room, will detect urine deposits that you ordinarily
wouldn't be able to see or smell; this helps ensure that everything is
cleaned up. Clean down into the ducts, and clean the gratings as well.
Note that it might take more than one cleaning to get rid of the smell
entirely. Also make sure your cat is confined to a different area of the
house while you're doing the cleaning. If the urine has gone so far
into the ducts that it's impossible to reach, contact a heating and
cooling professional and ask for his help; if it's down that far, he'll
have to come over and take care of cleaning the ducts from that point on.

Once that's finished, put the grates back on, and spray them and the
area around them with a cat repellent sp that your cat won't want to
come back there. Otherwise he might decide to make a repeat performance
in your air registers.

HTH.
Old May 24th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Julie

On May 23, 9:29 pm, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:
JulieF. wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.
Julie

What's worse than getting sprayed by a cat? Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 9 April 30th 07 10:41 PM
Eli sprayed in the shower stall Pat Cat anecdotes 14 December 21st 06 05:20 AM
What to put on floor? Bill Cats - misc 3 July 19th 06 02:19 PM
don't even try to like a floor [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 04:18 PM
new floor David Yehudah Cat anecdotes 8 September 19th 03 01:48 AM