How do other cat's & Humans cope with the summer heat & climates

Old May 24th 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default How do other cat's & Humans cope with the summer heat & climates

We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
again..
I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
summer........

(we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
too.

How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...

This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about £100, so might
well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*

I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
and heat?
TIA
S;o)

Old May 24th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

sheelagh wrote:
[...]

My longhaired Ragdoll does the flop on the floor in the heat... no
panting but obviously not enjoying the temperatures.

Fire up the A/C and within an hour I notice a difference in her behavior
*and* mine. :-D

Old May 24th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"sheelagh" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Window screens so you can open the windows and A/C, not at the same time of
course

Old May 24th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"sheelagh" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I live in East Texas and cannot imagine living here without air
conditioning. In fact, I keep it fairly cool and also leave the air
conditioner on when I take my summer vacation and leave the cats at home (in
the care of a pet sitter who comes in twice a day).

Concerning how they feel about air conditioning: Years ago, the air
conditioner broke down in an apartment I was renting at the time -- and, of
course, it was the hottest time of the year. I had a big box fan that I
would carry from room to room with me during that time (in the living room
when I was going to be there, in the bedroom at night). I soon noticed that
my cat followed the fan, and he would plop down in front of it as soon as I
set it down. So, he definitely approved of cooler air!

MaryL

Old May 24th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On May 24, 6:41 am, sheelagh wrote:
[...]

Portable units generally aren't as effective as window units. Look at
window units, see if you can swing one or two of them.

I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
and heat?
TIA
S;o)

My cats have access to my basement, which averages 15F cooler than the
ground floor. They spend a fair amount of time there during the day in
the summer, but they also spend some time lying in the sun.

I have window A/C units in my bedroom and office, and the cats are
happy to be in the air-conditioned rooms on hot days. Sometimes, when
I've been in the office and haven't turned on the bedroom A/C, my
Maine Coon, Aquavit, has come in and made a racket until I got up and
followed her--to the bedroom A/C. There's no mistaking her intentions--
she wanted to be in the bedroom, and she knew perfectly well the noisy
window thing had the power to make it comfortable in there!

Lis

Old May 24th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 24 May, 12:57, "Wendy" wrote:
"sheelagh" wrote in message

ups.com...
[...]

Funny/Ironic you should mention the window screens, because that is
exactly what prompted me to write this post.

The night before last, I got up at around 4 am to to let Biffy Birman
into the extension because it is slightly cooler in there. I had to
bring him indoors from his pen, because the silly old Fa*t started
tunneling out of it underneath the bars. I felt it was better to bring
him indoors, than take my chances on him not getting all of the way
out. I thought he would be far safer indoors! Just goes to show how
wrong you can be...

Thinking that he was as safe as he could be anywhere, I let him
through the door, then bleary eyed Sheelagh went back to bed again.
At 8am, I got the alarm call from my son, Luke, to say that everything
had been knocked off the window ledge, & also that Biffy was missing
too...
headless chicken act, Arghhhh#@?!!

I went flying around the block to see if I could find him, but there
was nothing. I tried once more and included the meadow for good
measure because that is where we take him when he is on reins, with
the other cats.. but No Biffy to be found anywhere.
I packed the kids off to school, then decided to have a mini cup of
Tea break ..

(us Brit's tut tut!!)

I figured if he had been gone 4 hours, another 10 minutes wasn't going
to make too much difference..Whilst drinking my cuppa, I called him
from the patio doors, for the sheer hell of it, in the non existent
hope that he might hear me....& blow me if he didn't start shouting
back @ me;o) It was more than music to my ears, Lol....

I could hear him, but not quite place him, so I decided to go outside
in the garden to see if I could hear better, & there he was..All 15lb
of him trying to do a balancing act on the top of the dividing
fence(Shhhhhh! He might hear, me, & I don't want to hurt his feelings,
but he did look rather like a hippo doing Ballet on the fence,
ROFLOL)....
This is my ultimate fear. I have been ever so lucky until now, by
constantly saying "shut that door, before the cats get out"... even
next door's parrot can say it now. I just feel that I had a very
narrow lucky escape yesterday, & the very thought of loosing one of
them is enough to make me break out in a cold sweat!!?.....

We have central heating for the winter & they all live on radiator
beds during the winter, so I was thinking that possibly a mobile air
conditioner might be the answer to our problem. I can't say that I'm
not worride about the electric bill, because I am. However, if it
makes every ones life easier then it has to be worth it. Since I gave
up smoking, it is amazing what I can afford to do these days...I can't
figure out why the hell I started in the 1st place really....(still
we all do silly things, don't we?)

I have Big fat Ragdolly's too Joe, as well as Big Birmans and other
chunky cats who all seem to be flagging in the hot weather, & I am all
too aware that it is simply going to get worse, not better until @
least October time.....

I have looked around for screens Wendy, but I must be looking in the
wrong places, because I can't find any around that will make them to
size, to allow us to be able to open the windows when they are
indoors, & it is like living in an oven. I let the kids open their
upstairs, but not any of the ones downstairs apart from the huge patio
one in the living room because that one does have screen cut to size &
flush with the window. I couldn't bare the thought of loosing any of
them, aside from the fact that none of them are really road savvy &
would either be stolen, run over, or hurt like the others have been

Oh Mary, I really do feel for you too. It must be a cracking type of
heat that you must endure? I was brought up in Africa, but it doesn't
mean that I love the heat!!!
I prefer a cold frosty morning any day.....!!

All ideas & 2cents worth appreciated v. much indeed.
Thanks,
S;o)

Old May 24th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 24 May, 14:21, Lis wrote:
[...]

Lis- Hide quoted text -

A/C is still a very new thing over here in the UK. I don't mean that
there isn't any; I mean that I don't know any person who actually has
A/C fitted in their house. The only places that I can think of that
does have it, are shops and shopping centers ect.(Mall's?)......

As a child, we had it fitted in Africa, so I can remember what a
difference it made, but I don't think I have even actually ever seen
it for sale anywhere, other than the mobile A/C units. You can pick
one of those up @ a DIY store. I would have to google to find out
where the nearest unit fitters are, & what the price difference would
be too. If it is only a matter of a bit more money, then I would opt
for that, but if it was far too pricey, then I would settle for the
mobile one, that can be moved if there was a need to, out of the
living room....

And I would have screens put in upstairs once I can find out where the
heck I can get some made up from someone who knows how to make them to
size. Having said that, we have just had UPVC windows fitted all over
the house! Would this be a problem if we do find someone who could
make them for me? I was wondering how I could fix them in so that they
are secure? Idea's all welcomed, because I have been pondering for
about 4 months on this one & have no real answers yet..
I have even wondered whether it might be an idea to try alt.DIY to see
if someone there could answer this question? I am trying here first,
because we all have cats, so who better to know if this problem could
be skirted around?

I wish we had a basement Lis. Unfortunately, over here that is a very
rare thing to have in the UK actually. Most of the houses over here
are simple 2 story houses. The only places that might have basements
are in places like London, Manchester & the like of those cities, when
the Victorians had the cooks, butler ect, to tend their houses for
them & had several storys to their homes back then. These days, they
have all been split up, & people have made the story's into flats, so
they are all parted now by the vast majority. I have thought about
having laminated flooring put down in the living room, so that it is
slightly cooler for them to flop down on. I just wondered if it is
cold in the winter though?. If it is better than carpet, I would most
definately consider clearing the old carpet out &doing it, because as
soon as the new pens arrive, then I am ripping the living room out &
starting all over again...

Thanks for all of your comments. There is nothing like testimonials to
sell an idea when you know that the person advising you is going on
experience because they have been through it too.
S;o)

Old May 24th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

If you have a family member with heart problems the best thing you can do is
get air conditioning. I'm surprised the doctors haven't insisted on it.
My mother has to be in AC when it gets hot or she can't breath and it's a
strain on her heart

I also have a tom cat who has a heart murmer and he is miserable and sick if
it
gets too hot. We keep the AC running in the living room during day and
don't turn it off till 8pm in the summer and it it's one of those days in
the 90's sometimes it stays on at night. He spends practically his whole
summer in that room.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old May 24th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Window screens are the way to go. Most of us in NY have them. Also, air
conditioning is a great idea. You will love it and so will the cats. They
do not like it too hot. Mine will go out on the deck but remain under the
chaise if it's too hot. Apparently that's cooler than being under the
umbrella.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old May 24th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 24 May, 15:43, "Spot" wrote:
If you have a family member with heart problems the best thing you can do is
get air conditioning. I'm surprised the doctors haven't insisted on it.
My mother has to be in AC when it gets hot or she can't breath and it's a
strain on her heart

I also have a tom cat who has a heart murmer and he is miserable and sick if
it
gets too hot. We keep the AC running in the living room during day and
don't turn it off till 8pm in the summer and it it's one of those days in
the 90's sometimes it stays on at night. He spends practically his whole
summer in that room.

Celeste

ups.com...

On 24 May, 15:43, "Spot" wrote:
If you have a family member with heart problems the best thing you can do is
get air conditioning. I'm surprised the doctors haven't insisted on it.
My mother has to be in AC when it gets hot or she can't breath and it's a
strain on her heart

Thanks, I thought the same thing too. Unfortunately, the A/C market
over here is a very untapped market as yet. I don't know one single
person that has A/C yet. (so for all you budding A/C fitter's, It time
to come to the UK & tap into that market right now, seriously!!)
I agree with you. I did a test one day in town, without telling Paul
that I was doing it. I pushed him around in the wheelchair & he was
most definately a huge help to him..When we got into A/C area's he was
fine, but the moment we left them, his shortness of breath started
almost simultaneously.. so that answers that question. Thank you
Celeste

The cats are all nodding too by the way, LOL;o)
It is far too hot to endure yet another summer of misery. I think I
might go off for a little google to see if I can find out the
difference between a static unit, or a mobile one, and the benefits
and pros & cons ect.. but most of all, whether we can get someone to
fit it for us

I also have a tom cat who has a heart murmur and he is miserable and sick if
it
gets too hot. We keep the AC running in the living room during day and
don't turn it off till 8pm in the summer and it it's one of those days in
the 90's sometimes it stays on at night. He spends practically his whole
summer in that room.

Poor old Puddings. I understand how they must feel. Most of our cats
are long haired/coated, &you can see that they are miserable in the
heat. They all flop down on the kitchen floor, which is the coolest
place in the house, on the cushion flooring in there, & drink gallons
in really hot/humid weather to make up for the loss of internal
fluids!! Poor Puss cats, they need pampering, honestly, they
Doooo!! "o"
S;o)