How do other cat's & Humans cope with the summer heat & climates

Old May 25th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default How do other cat's & Humans cope with the summer heat & climates

On 24 May, 13:38, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"sheelagh" wrote in message

ups.com...
We have a large patio door in our living room, which we leave open all
day so that we do get a bit of breeze IF there is any to be had. Other
than that, the rest of the windows in our house have to remain closed
for fear of the cats getting out, & either lost, hurt or never seen
again..
I know that some of you live in far hotter climates than we do in the
summer........

(we get up to around 30-32degrees over here & the humidity is terrible
too.

How does everyone else cope with the heat, & do your cats feel the
same way about the heat as we do, or do they seem unperturbed about it
all? I ask this question because I really don't know. There are some
days when they seem to worship the sun, & others were they sit in
thier housing rather than take in another ray of it @ all...

This is the 1st summer that I have considered air conditioning, for
several reasons. Paul has heart problems that are exacerbated by the
heat, & if the pussy cats feel the same way, it seems sensible to get
a portable conditioning unit.....They are only about £100, so might
well be worth investing it it is for the *right reasons*

I would be interested to hear what other people think regarding cats
and heat?
TIA
S;o)

I live in East Texas and cannot imagine living here without air
conditioning. In fact, I keep it fairly cool and also leave the air
conditioner on when I take my summer vacation and leave the cats at home (in
the care of a pet sitter who comes in twice a day).

Concerning how they feel about air conditioning: Years ago, the air
conditioner broke down in an apartment I was renting at the time -- and, of
course, it was the hottest time of the year. I had a big box fan that I
would carry from room to room with me during that time (in the living room
when I was going to be there, in the bedroom at night). I soon noticed that
my cat followed the fan, and he would plop down in front of it as soon as I
set it down. So, he definitely approved of cooler air!

MaryL

Wow...!!
I must say that you have a very beautiful home & garden too.

Our house is a typical English detached house with double garage.
Nothing great about it at all, however, we are in the throes of
digging the back garden up, landscaping it & putting new pens up for
the cats out the back too. I look forward to being able to having a
proper garden again, with fragrant flowers & the "I want to be here,
factor".I'm afraid that I am famous in the village for carrying my
trowel & shears around when I take the cats for a walk. That way, if I
see something I like the look of, I either take a cutting or a root,
to be potted until we get to the stage where we can plant them out
there.

Here are few photos that I already had of the house as we started the
whole project. We had to have over 40 conifers removed(by law, they
can not exceed 2 meters, & these were over 40' high!!)
Then we had the extension fitted, & we also started putting a fence
around 3/4 of the garden(we have a wall on the 4th side), & building
raised flower beds, laying fresh turf & then putting the new pens up
for the cats- this was all last summer

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela...artOfTheGarden

We still have a long way to go, & It is my belief that we must be
able to find someone who is willing to make the screens for our
windows, even if they are spring loaded mosquito netting to keep them
indoors. It is something that has not available here because there has
never been the need. Nevertheless, it is time that we did all start
thinking about it, because the mosquitoes have arrived, the same as we
need air conditioning now, that we never had the need of before now
too!
S;o)

Old May 25th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

ups.com...
wrote:
We still have a long way to go, & It is my belief that we must be

able to find someone who is willing to make the screens for our
windows, even if they are spring loaded mosquito netting to keep them
indoors. It is something that has not available here because there has
never been the need. Nevertheless, it is time that we did all start
thinking about it, because the mosquitoes have arrived, the same as we
need air conditioning now, that we never had the need of before now
too!
S;o)

You are going to have a very nice garden. What are the bright blue flowers
shown in one of your pictures.

MaryL