HELP WITH SICK KITTEN AFTER WORMING

Old May 28th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RaeRaeMae

Default HELP WITH SICK KITTEN AFTER WORMING

Hi...My kitties are now 7wks old and have been doing great till I was up at
the vets last wed with a dog to be fixed . I just asked her if I should be
worming the kittens or anything and she told me to give them nemex(pyrantel
parmoate) 2days in a row then wait 2 wks and do it again. I gave 1 dose and
in 24hrs I had one that was screaming trying to poop. I called and she told
me to give him 1tsp mineral oil that day and again the next. He cleared up
with only 1cc mineral oil. I don't know how u would get a tsp down them(which
would be five cc). Now this is monday and 4 are acting fine but my little
female is crying when she poops(is very soft but not liquid) I can't get
ahold of my vet..of course things always happen on a holiday weekend..so I
called another and he said to give them all a couple of cc of mineral oil ..I
have and she is still crying just when she poops about 3 times a day her
belly feels big but other wise she is acting fine..sneezing some. I have been
giving them a choice of softened(with goat milk and yogurt added) nutro
kitten food or dry and she likes to eat the dry so I have been giving her
some syringes of gatorade to make sure she is getting liquid..they have water
free choice. I am just not sure what to do next? I can't afford to take her
to the emergency clinic so am trying to get her through till tomorrow morning
and I will take them all in and see what's going on. Any ideas? Also when
and what do you reccomend for vaccinations? Where do you get them?
Rachel
Old May 28th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bruce

On May 28, 7:14 am, "RaeRaeMae" u34576@uwe wrote:
[...]

the most likely cause is that the kitten is laden with worms, and
cries when defecating due to cramping within the intestinal tract, or
strictures associated with sore abdominal tissue where the worms were
attacking. the mineral oil is to move the stool through quicker.
using a soothing agent (kaolin or kaopectate) may take down some of
the pain during defecation. the repeat dosings are recommended due to
the fact that the drug works on the adult stages, and not always the
larval stages, and not on the egg stages. since the life span is only
a couple weeks, the kitten could be reinfested within two weeks and
would need to be rewormed (which the vet recommended).

vaccinations are recommended when the immune system is thought to be
priming and available for introduction to alien agents (about 6 weeks
for the first dose). since each animal is different, and the best
vaccine protection comes from introducing the agent several times,
repeat boosters are recommended every 3 weeks until the pet is at
least 12-16 weeks old).

vaccinations for most viral feline infections can be bought over the
counter (except for rabies), but the advantage to having them done by
the veterinarian a clinical exam of health done by trained
professional, and initial database can be established for comparison
when the pet is older and presented for surgery or a wellness exam,
vaccine is properly administered, vaccine was properly stored,
injection materials are properly disposed of, predisposing medical
conditions can be caught and treated or rectified early.

De-worming for cats ilovecats Cat health & behaviour 1 November 20th 06 05:37 PM
de-worming for cats elizabethzotani Cat health & behaviour 10 October 16th 06 11:33 AM
worming looby_lou Cat health & behaviour 2 August 1st 06 04:24 PM
cat worming question Pat Cat anecdotes 4 July 14th 06 01:28 PM
My kitten is very sick!! Alyssa8 Cat anecdotes 168 May 31st 06 10:17 PM