kitten peeing problem

Old June 10th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kbeebs

Default kitten peeing problem

I am having an issue with my new kitten. She has access to her litter box,
and knows where it is, but she will occasionally pee on the tile floor in
front on my door. I will break out the squirt bottle and then take her to
the litter box, but it doesn't seem to help. It has been years since I had a
kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any

Old June 10th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

You should have two boxes for the one kitten. The boxes should have low
sides and no hoods on them. If the kitten is very young, she may have
problems remembering where the box is. She may need to be contained in a
smaller space if she is very young. Also, if this continues, she should see
a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. Don't squirt her with a water
bottle. This will only make her afraid of you.
Gail

Old June 10th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kbeebs

She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where she
likes to "go?"

Gail wrote:
You should have two boxes for the one kitten. The boxes should have low
sides and no hoods on them. If the kitten is very young, she may have
problems remembering where the box is. She may need to be contained in a
smaller space if she is very young. Also, if this continues, she should see
a vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. Don't squirt her with a water
bottle. This will only make her afraid of you.
Gail
I am having an issue with my new kitten. She has access to her litter box,
and knows where it is, but she will occasionally pee on the tile floor in

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any

Old June 10th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
checkout and gets older

What type of litter are you using also. What breed of kitten is it

I had a cat that had problems with it eye sight where it could not tell
depth it used to do this also

Old June 10th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kbeebs

My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a barn
cat I got from a friend of a friend. Why do I keep getting a response that
water is bad? It's something they don't like, so I thought they would learn
from it.

Matthew wrote:
For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
checkout and gets older

What type of litter are you using also. What breed of kitten is it

I had a cat that had problems with it eye sight where it could not tell
depth it used to do this also

She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where she

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any

Old June 10th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"kbeebs" u34935@uwe wrote in message news:737924aa4ef3d@uwe...
My furball uses "Fresh step" litter. I'm not sure her breed - she's a
barn
cat I got from a friend of a friend. Why do I keep getting a response
that
water is bad? It's something they don't like, so I thought they would
learn
from it.

To young to learn just yet and if it is a medical problem than you are
causing a problem

When a cat is doing it on purpose than it can be used but right now it could
be medical not behavioral plus the age of the kitten

IMO when it gets a little older there are better methods than the squirt
bottle such as marbles in a coffee can. If I used a squirt bottle on Rumble
I would be dealing with a nasty response where I sleep Rumble and a few
other of my cats could care less if you squirted them. they would get
revenge if daddy was mean but they hate the coffee can

Old June 10th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

Water is used for issues such as getting on counters NOT for litter
training. You are accomplishing nothing by squirting her where she pees on
the floor if you continue she will start hiding and peeing in other places.

Celeste

Old June 10th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Matthew wrote:
For now yes Gail has some ideas that need to be addressed the water
bottle is not a choice for right now until the furball has a medical
checkout and gets older

What type of litter are you using also. What breed of kitten is it

I had a cat that had problems with it eye sight where it could not tell
depth it used to do this also

She usually is in a smaller room during the day, and her litter box is
considerably small. Do you recommend putting a second litter box where she

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Confinement is a very good starting point.

The reason that it would be best not to use water is because she might
associate the water with when she needs to go to the litter box.
Should this be the case, then she will consciously try to hide away
from you when she feels the need to use her litter box, (or where ever
she is choosing to go right now. A second litter box is an excellent
idea right now. It will give her the confidence to use it).
Explore the possibility that there might be something medically wrong,
by taking her to see your vet 1st. It is entirely possible that this
is not a social issue.

Another trick that I have found useful when I have kittens come in
that don't seem to be using a litter box properly, is to add a small
amount of urine soaked litter, to mix in with your chosen litter. As
soon as the kitten smells this, they seem to associate the fact that
this is where it is appropriate to go. I can't stress how important it
is to use a very small amount of litter you can mix in, or that it
must come from a female cat whom you are sure has no other medical
problems@ all!. With a 10x stronger sense of smell, kitty will be able
to recognise that smell, where you might not be able to.

Normally, a mother cat will teach her kittens where it is appropriate
to use the facilities, but if she came to you as a barn cat, then she
has no idea where it is that you are asking her to go, because barn
cats would be used to going outside.
This might take a little while, & a lot of patience to sort this out,
however, as long as she is somewhere, where it is possible to simply
wipe the floor down, then it doesn't really matter for a short while.

Best of Luck,
S;o)

Old June 10th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kbeebs via CatKB.com

Marbles in a coffee can?? Is it the noise they don't like?

Matthew wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
kitten, and I am not used to training them! Can anyone help? Any