Help--Stomatitis

Old June 13th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
w[_2_]

Default Help--Stomatitis

I had a preganant stray show up a few months ago. She had her kittens
and I took her and the three kittens in to be fixed. I hoped to adopt
them out and have already started making arrangements with a local
rescue group.

After they took them to the back, the vet (this wasn't the vet I take my
cats to but one who offers discounted spay and neuter) came out and
asked, "Does this cat (the mother) have a regular vet?" I said that no
she didn't, she was a stray. The vet then said she had a very bad case
of stomatitis and showed me her mouth. I have never seen anything that
looked so horrible.

After discussion with the vet, I had a FeLV and FIV test done on the
mother. Negative.

The vet says I can bring her back in two weeks for a shot of steroids.
She said she wouldn't give it today as it would interfere with the
healing of the spay. She also mentioned I might have to have all of her
teeth pulled.

This explains a lot, the mother hasn't been eating very much since I
stopped feeding her kitten food (larger pieces for the normal food?).
Also the pregnancy may have suppressed the inflammation for a while much
as a human mother with arthritis can have a remission during pregnancy.

Now I am stuck realizing I cannot adopt this cat out. I already have
three cats and was not planning on keeping her.

If I do keep her, does anyone know the price range of pulling all of the
teeth? Should I just have her put down? She is very sweet and I hate
to do it but if she is suffering it might be best.

Old June 13th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
w[_2_]

cybercat wrote:
"w" wrote in message
I had a preganant stray show up a few months ago. She had her kittens

If I do keep her, does anyone know the price range of pulling all of the
teeth? Should I just have her put down? She is very sweet and I hate to
do it but if she is suffering it might be best.\

Ask your vet.

She was just at a vet yesterday, I told you what the vet said. She is
not my cat, she is a stray. I hadn't planned on keeping her although I
may. If I had taken her to the shelter when the neighbors across the
street moved and left her, they would have most certainly put her down.
Can't you people give a little advice, personal experience with this
disease?

I am sick of the group and always VET VET VET. I am trying to budget to
get one of my own cat some overdue vet procedures. Every penny to this
stray comes out of my own cats. Is that so difficult for you dense ones
to understand?

Old June 13th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
w[_2_]

cybercat wrote:
"w" wrote in message
I had a preganant stray show up a few months ago. She had her kittens

If I do keep her, does anyone know the price range of pulling all of the
teeth? Should I just have her put down? She is very sweet and I hate to
do it but if she is suffering it might be best.\

Ask your vet.

Sorry,

I haven't had my coffee. She was at the vet 24 hours ago. I have no
reason to not believe this vet. According to most of what I have read
the teeth will have to be pulled. Nothing else even stands a chance of
working. The vet also said we "may" have to pull the teeth. I think
she added "may" because she knows it is a stray and didn't want to come
on to strong about it.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this disease?
Old June 13th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clive Sherriff

If I do keep her, does anyone know the price range of pulling
all of the
teeth? Should I just have her put down? She is very sweet and

I hate
to do it but if she is suffering it might be best.

Sad that this should be a $ choice - What about looking
for free / part funded vetinary care in your area - A
Vetinary training establishment / universit perhaps who
could do the operation for free as a teaching excercise
perhaps????

Clive

=====================================

Old June 13th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:38:12 -0700, w wrote:

cybercat wrote:
"w" wrote in message
I had a preganant stray show up a few months ago. She had her kittens

If I do keep her, does anyone know the price range of pulling all of
the teeth? Should I just have her put down? She is very sweet and I
hate to do it but if she is suffering it might be best.\

Ask your vet.

Sorry,

I haven't had my coffee. She was at the vet 24 hours ago. I have no
reason to not believe this vet. According to most of what I have read the
teeth will have to be pulled. Nothing else even stands a chance of
working. The vet also said we "may" have to pull the teeth. I think she
added "may" because she knows it is a stray and didn't want to come on to
strong about it.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this disease?

I am not an expert. However, it might be worthwhile to see what good food
and a safe resting place can do. Nature can do wonders if given a chance,
Best wishes and thanks for caring about the poor lost cat. MLB

Old June 13th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

Well you wanted a price obviously no one here has ever had to have all their
cats teeth pulled. Not only that prices can have a HUGE varience depending
upon which area of the country you live in.

Personally I would ask the vet to give you a price break or possibly work
out a payment plan since she is a stray or find a rescue group that might
help out with the expenses.. I can see no reason to put her down because of
this. Many animals live fine on soft food when this is the issue.

I hope you can find a solution and find her a home if you can't keep her.

Celeste

Old June 13th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
paws2 via CatKB.com

w wrote:
I had a preganant stray show up a few months ago. She had her kittens
and I took her and the three kittens in to be fixed.

Excellent!

...snipped

The vet then said she had a very bad case
of stomatitis and showed me her mouth. I have never seen anything that looked so horrible.

After discussion with the vet, I had a FeLV and FIV test done on the mother. Negative.

I am so sorry that your stray cat has been diagnosed with stomatitis. It is,
however, very good news that she is FeLV/FIV neg., thus making her prognosis
that much more promising. I am grateful that you were the one to find her and
are looking after her. Here are a couple of web sites which might be helpful:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=368 has good general info
on feline stomatitis and
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...tomatitis.html with a
personal story of a stray with stomatitis and many excellent links re feline
stomatitis. They may help you make more informed decisions.

...snipped...

She said she wouldn't give it today as it would interfere with the
healing of the spay. She also mentioned I might have to have all of her teeth pulled.

In severe cases, this does seem to be the treatment of choice.

This explains a lot, the mother hasn't been eating very much since I stopped feeding her kitten food (larger pieces for the normal food?).

Her gums, throat, and probably her esophagus are highly inflamed and it hurts
for her to have anything in her mouth, let alone swallow. If you feed her a
good-quality canned food, mixed well with warm water, it would make it easier
for her to swallow and warming it makes it smellier, thus more palatable for
her. She does need very good nutrition help her recover.

...snipped...

Now I am stuck realizing I cannot adopt this cat out. I already have
three cats and was not planning on keeping her.

Given her FeLV/FIV neg. status and her personality, once she has undergone
treatment and recovered, if you decide that you really cannot keep her, she
should be adoptable as any other healthy kitty.

...snipped...

Should I just have her put down? She is very sweet and I hate
to do it but if she is suffering it might be best.

Treatment is key, she will not recover on her own given the severity of her
condition. After tooth extraction, the majority of cats recover well. I would
never have a cat euthanized before doing everything at all possible to give
them a chance at a good long life. Her chances sound good.

Is there any way that this vet or your own vet will consider a payment plan?
Are there any financial assistance programs in your area (Humane Societies,
SPCA, university vet clinics, etc.) for rescued strays?

I hope some of the above is helpful and that you can save this kitty. Good
luck and please keep us posted.

Old June 14th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
w[_2_]

Spot wrote:
Well you wanted a price obviously no one here has ever had to have all their
cats teeth pulled. Not only that prices can have a HUGE varience depending
upon which area of the country you live in.

Personally I would ask the vet to give you a price break or possibly work
out a payment plan since she is a stray or find a rescue group that might
help out with the expenses.. I can see no reason to put her down because of
this. Many animals live fine on soft food when this is the issue.

I hope you can find a solution and find her a home if you can't keep her.

Celeste

Celeste, It is not obvious.

Check the Merck Veterinary manual: "Extraction of all the premolars and
molars and removal of the associated periodontal ligaments by alveolar
curettage is the only treatment that has provided some improvement and
aided in overall longterm control. "

Stomatitis is not uncommon. So no it is not obvious at all.

Let me explain where I am coming from. Almost all of my cats have been
strays. As a result I have had several with medical disorders. One cat
had leukemia. I never had him tested until he got sick about a year
after he showed up. (I learned my lesson there.) Had he been tested,
the vet would most certainly recommended putting him down, especially
since I had another cat at the time. In retrospect, it was good. My
other cat (vaccinated) did not get it and this cat, who was a wonderful
cat, had a year of high quality life. But when his kidneys and several
other things started going (he was only about 2 years old). I said no
more, put him to sleep. Why put the animal through torture for a
disease that has no cure just to prolong his life?

My next stray came down with Cryptococcus six months after I took her
in. She got very congested and stopped eating for over a month. I
syringe fed her for a month and gave her the *extremely expensive*
antifungal medicine for over a year until her titer showed she was
cured. I spent over $2000 on her. That was in 2001, she is in the
other room right now. Why did I pursue treatment with her? Because all
of the information I obtained said the cure rate was almost 100% if I
was willing to go through the course of treatment.

I need to know, is this a good chance of a cure? an so so chance, or
not a chance in h*ll. Understand now?

Old June 14th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
w[_2_]

paws2 via CatKB.com wrote:
w wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much,

That was the type of information I was looking for.