Ping Phil Again (or other knowledgeable persons)

Old July 2nd 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Ping Phil Again (or other knowledgeable persons)

We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
three - and will be for a while yet.

I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated in
the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely no
contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more a
threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under control
now after a week of Clavamox.

Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
them contact with the three newbies?

Thanks,

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old July 3rd 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 2, 7:39 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
three - and will be for a while yet.

I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated in
the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely no
contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more a
threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under control
now after a week of Clavamox.

Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
them contact with the three newbies?

Definitely!

Earlier this year, one our cats got a bad cold. Sneezing and snotty
nose. She was behind on vaccinations at the time. She went to the vet,
got meds, and improved. A few days later, Jay Jay got it, only he got
it worse. Fever, dehydrated, no appetite. He looked like he had a
hangover. He had his first vaciinations the previous year, and he was
a couple months overdue for the next vaccination. He went to the vet,
got more meds (fluids, shot to start antibiotics, and higher dosage
pills since he is larger). As he was getting over it, Chase started
sneezing. For one day only. He got over it. He was also current on his
vaccinations.

Last month, Christi got it again. She had not been vaccinated yet
since she was sick at the time of the previous vet visit. This time,
she was the only one to get it.

If they are going to be hanging out together, they share their germs.
URIs are very common in catteries simply because one cat can set it
off. If they are already vaccinated, they will be able to fight it off
and deal with it.

Also, since meeting new housemates is stressful, that makes it easier
for stuff like this to get going.

Personally, I won't be letting the vaccinations lapse again. Jay Jay
was miserable for several days because of this, and he still had to
get a checkup and vacinnation after he was better. Had I done it
earlier, I would have saved him the misery, saved me the worry, saved
a trip to the vet, and saved $100 too.

I am so glad that Chase got updated when he was there to have his
toenails checked (he ripped two out, so we wanted to make sure they
didn't get infected).

Old July 3rd 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I don't want the vet to give them rabies shots - or anything else they don't
absolutely need to stay healthy in a house with no contact with other cats
(besides the newcomers? So, what do you think are the "minimally required"
shots just to keep them vaccinated from the URI's (FHV/FCV)?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 4th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 3, 5:40 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I would ask your vet. I know the rabies shot is separate here, and I
only did that one for a cat when he was going to a cat show. The
regular vacinnation is either a 3 or 4 type vaccine. Your vet knows
what you are trying to prevent, so they should be able to advise you
better.

Old July 4th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
We're still keeping the three new rescues separated from our resident
three - and will be for a while yet.

I got to thinking, though. We have not had our residing three vaccinated

in
the last 3 years since they are strictly indoor cats and have absolutely

no
contact with other cats and we thought the risks from the injections more

threat.. However, the three newcomers all have URIs (that are under

control
now after a week of Clavamox.

Do you think we should have our resident three vaccinated before allowing
them contact with the three newbies?

Thanks,

The only vaccine I would recommend in your situation for your resident cats
is the bivalent Heska UltraNasal FVRC (rhinotracheitis virus and calicivirus
only). This vaccine produces very quick local immunity- where the cats need
it the most- in about 2 days. They don't need *any* other vaccines. Avoid
the FeLV and especially the FIV vaccines.

Good luck,

Phil

Old July 4th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Phil!!! I'm printing this note right now to take to the vet with
me!

Hugs,

CatNipped

ping PHIL P Niel Humphreys Cat health & behaviour 1 March 17th 06 03:53 PM
Ping Phil NMR Cat health & behaviour 0 January 24th 06 04:37 AM
Ping Phil P or anyone that could help NMR Cat health & behaviour 7 January 1st 06 10:30 PM
Ping Phil P FIP Wendy Cat health & behaviour 19 December 22nd 05 11:49 AM
Ping Phil No More Retail Cat health & behaviour 4 November 14th 05 07:55 PM