male cat loves plastic...

Old July 8th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kimkat

Default male cat loves plastic...

Help! I have a 12yo neutered male, adopted in August 2006, declawed in
front (not by me)-- and he loves marking on plastic, or peeing in it.
(plastic dust pan, for example). He has been to the vet to rule out
medical problems, but is there anything I can do? He had also marked
on throw pillows and I have gone through so much Nature's Miracle and
the like-- I am going crazy! He was picked up as a stray by a vet, but
was apparently owned by someone as he was declawed, but he was a stray
for a while I guess after that.

I am going crazy here- any ideas???

Kim

p.s. he never does it in front of me- I discover it when it is too
late.

Old July 8th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Jul 8, 3:11?pm, Kimkat wrote:
Help! I have a 12yo neutered male, adopted in August 2006, declawed in
front (not by me)-- and he loves marking on plastic, or peeing in it.
(plastic dust pan, for example). He has been to the vet to rule out
medical problems, but is there anything I can do? He had also marked
on throw pillows and I have gone through so much Nature's Miracle and
the like-- I am going crazy! He was picked up as a stray by a vet, but
was apparently owned by someone as he was declawed, but he was a stray
for a while I guess after that.

First, hats off to to for adopting this senior kitty! I would first
buy some Feliway diffusers and place them around your house. Feliway
mimics a feline pheromone and is supposed to be helpful for marking.
(Don't buy from your vet--look online or in a pet store, much
cheaper). Second, I would hide all plastic-related items and throw
pillows so there's no temptation for him to pee.

How many litterboxes do you have? I'd try at least two, perhaps three
in different locations. It's possible he might like to use separate
boxes for urinating. Also, are you using an unscented litter? Some
cats don't like the scented kind.

Good luck. I'm sure it's frustrating for you (and him)! Let us know
what happens,
Rene

Old July 9th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
My Shangri-La

Kimkat wrote:

p.s. he never does it in front of me- I discover it when it is too
late.

He's smart, he knows it's not right

He just can't resist

If Im reading right, you've just got him recently
I think this is his way of cristening his home
maybe he will finally stop OR you will get used to the smell and not
realize he is still doing it.

Im always scared my house or clothes smells catty and I don't know it.

Lot's of people are allergic to cats, sometimes one will sleep on my
coat, then when someone gets in the car with me, their eyes swell up
red and watery. lol. but I never tell them I got cat all over my coat.

the joy of catting

Old July 9th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 8 Jul, 21:11, Kimkat wrote:
Help! I have a 12yo neutered male, adopted in August 2006, declawed in
front (not by me)-- and he loves marking on plastic, or peeing in it.
(plastic dust pan, for example). He has been to the vet to rule out
medical problems, but is there anything I can do? He had also marked
on throw pillows and I have gone through so much Nature's Miracle and
the like-- I am going crazy! He was picked up as a stray by a vet, but
was apparently owned by someone as he was declawed, but he was a stray
for a while I guess after that.

I am going crazy here- any ideas???

Kim

p.s. he never does it in front of me- I discover it when it is too
late.

You need to try & buy some Urine off or any other similar removal
fluid. It works by breaking down the scent of any prior markings in
any place that keeps attracting him back to the same spot.
Here is a link to the product- It is one of many available, & works on
the principal that if the cat can't smell it, it won't refresh the
odour again, which is what he appears to be doing.

http://www.urine-off.com/applications2.aspx

http://www.odordestroyer.com/Merchan...gory_Code=Cats

Unfortunately, late neuters have already reached sexual maturity,
which is probably why your cat is marking. Marking is a scent that the
tom cat leaves so that every cat who passes it, will know that this is
your cats territory.

The advice about throwing away all of the plastic that he marks is
good advice, however if he is doing it on the your 3 piece suite, that
is not so easy to throw out & buy another one instead.
This is where this product comes into play. It breaks down the scent
entirely, so that he doesn't feel the need to re mark it again.
I would imagine that he is doing it because he can smell a prior cat
where he is marking. Did you have a cat prior to this one @ all?

My guess is that he is remarking. If this is the case, you are going
to have to buy a repellent & spray it in the very places where he
chooses to spray. If you combine this with a feliway diffuser,
hopefully it should stop him marking, or even feeling the need to
mark...

Good Luck and plenty of patience.

( my late neutered toms did the same thing, but this strategy worked
for us. it is worth a go @ least.)
Sheelagh

Old July 9th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kimkat

On Jul 9, 8:52 am, sheelagh wrote:
On 8 Jul, 21:11, Kimkat wrote:

Help! I have a 12yo neutered male, adopted in August 2006, declawed in
front (not by me)-- and he loves marking on plastic, or peeing in it.
(plastic dust pan, for example). He has been to the vet to rule out
medical problems, but is there anything I can do? He had also marked
on throw pillows and I have gone through so much Nature's Miracle and
the like-- I am going crazy! He was picked up as a stray by a vet, but
was apparently owned by someone as he was declawed, but he was a stray
for a while I guess after that.

I am going crazy here- any ideas???

Thank you to everyone who has replied! Yes, I had a cat before him,
but she died (17) a few months into his stewardship here- he was
actually upset about it and sat near her when it was obvious she was
in distress. They had a love-hate relationship... i am going to try
the Feliway (found a lot on ebay) and will get the "Urine Off" that I
had just seen at Bed Bath and Beyond store locally. -- what you have
said makes sense, he is remarking what I am trying to undo. I made
things "cat free zones"- he even ailed the plastic cover on a flat of
water bottle that we brought home from the grocery store. That Feliway
sounds like aromatherapy for cats!!

He sits at the back screen door a lot and "patrols"- there is one cat
that he HATES that just started coming around. We get other cats but
he does not seem to care, even raccoons do not bug him (well some are
bigger than him and he is 20 lbs.!).

I'll keep you all posted and thanks again!
Kim

Old July 10th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
My Shangri-La

On 8 Jul, 21:11, Kimkat wrote:

[...]

am I shining? is my forehead shining?

Old July 10th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
My Shangri-La

sheelagh wrote:
On 8 Jul, 21:11, Kimkat wrote:
[...]

poor white trash, back stabbin' - cat licking - case

Old July 10th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
My Shangri-La

sheelagh wrote:
On 8 Jul, 21:11, Kimkat wrote:
[...]

Im just teasing.

yes, im mad at you. I believed in you.
You know I ain't done nothing to you.

You don't have to be this way is all Im saying, I don't know what made
you feel this way, unless in my oddness, you felt somehow you was the
brunt of some joke, but you couldn't tell because it was poorly
written, but I've always taken up for you.

I got mad if anyone gave you crap, ok, thing is, I can live without
your smiles, that's fine, but.. it's weird how you just turned on me.
OUt of nowhere..

I am passive aggressive, you must have had some crap in your crawl
that either you was too chicken to say, or I didn't give you room to
say it.

but... WELCOME TO HEALTH AND BEHAVIOR

fly away now my little snake! bite many!

off off off you go
throwing stuff at it

....I raised a damn snake...

what did I want..

I told her to be clever! she got me

i'ts the story of my life, give them too much knowledge and too much
money
happens most of the time

NO I never sent sheelagh money, it's a reference to hiring tradesmen
then paying them too much. instill too much, and they go get their own
license.

Old July 10th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 9 Jul, 16:18, Kimkat wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I would appreciate that very much indeed.
Best of luck;o)
Sheelagh

Old July 10th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

poor white trash, back stabbin' - cat licking - case

Will you please leave me alone?

Not only are you being racist, derogatory, deformation of character &
inflammatory, You are really ****ing me off. Don't say that I didn't
warn you. Leave me be, & you will never have to speak to me again.
Simple really. Leave me alone.