Had to put older cat to sleep due to stoke etc

Old July 13th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gregg

Default Had to put older cat to sleep due to stoke etc

Hello Everyone,
I had to have my older cat Maincoon cat put to sleep due to her having
a stoke, but that was yesterday, Today I adopted a new 3 yr old tabby
female cat name of Gracie she is very shy, has not moved out from
hilding since of noon today when I brought her home from the annimal
sheater, How long will she be in hiding?

Old July 13th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Gregg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Everyone,
I had to have my older cat Maincoon cat put to sleep due to her having
a stoke, but that was yesterday, Today I adopted a new 3 yr old tabby
female cat name of Gracie she is very shy, has not moved out from
hilding since of noon today when I brought her home from the annimal
sheater, How long will she be in hiding?

Gregg First my sorrows for your lose

Second this takes time keep the furball isolated for a few days make sure
she has ample food and water and quiet

Third when you visit her talk to her in the same tones have treats let
her be curious on her own it takes time

Think about it from her perspective you go from a comfortable area and are
thrown into a area with news sounds smells and people. give her time

Oh also THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING A NEW FURBALL AND WELCOME TO SLAVE HOOD

We can't wait for pictures

Old July 13th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

She will be there until she gradually feels comfortable. Gracie should be in
a room of her own with bed, food, water, and litter. Gradually let her get
used to you being in the room with her. It will take time and patience.
Gail

Old July 13th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oldhickory

and purr a lot for her---that always helps!

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old July 13th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 13 Jul, 02:28, Gregg wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I had to have my older cat Maincoon cat put to sleep due to her having
a stoke, but that was yesterday, Today I adopted a new 3 yr old tabby
female cat name of Gracie she is very shy, has not moved out from
hilding since of noon today when I brought her home from the annimal
sheater, How long will she be in hiding?

the others have given good advice; just leav eher be for a bit until
she decides that it is a safe place she is in, giev her access to food
and fresh water without her havign to come out of hiding for it (if
this means pushing it under the bed wher she is then so be it), go and
sit with her without attempting to touch her for a bit and just talk,
offer some treats, then when she feels comfortable try to stroke her,
maybe she will peep out, maybe after a week or so she may come out to
explore if she thinks you are not about.
it will take time and all cats are different, remember that she has no
idea as yet that she is in a new home and she is safe, she is just
being wary understandably as there are many new and confusing smeels
and sounds about her right now.

when i was a kid we one cat we adopted, Flossie, RB 2003, beautifulist
cat in all the world, was 1 year old and had been kicked about by her
previous owner. she spent about 2 weeks under my bed with us pushing
plates of food and tuna and water such like under for her until she
very carefully and slowly emerged. She was beautiful but was always
rathet timid and never totally got over her awful start in life and
was always scared in heavy shoes, and would run and hide when the
doorbell went. still she lived and gave us 18 years of her shy company
and timid affection, finally going over the rainbow bridge aged 19
years. just thinking about her now makes me well up! how stupid?! she
was just so sweet.

we also recently were taken possession of by terri the timid
tortoiseshell (photos on my picasa site, another absolute beauty!) who
had been left behind by some heartless swine when they moved out of
their old house. she spent about 3 days hiding behind some kitchen
units under the kitchen sink and we had to push plates of food under
there for her to nibble on and bowls of water and cat milk. that was
back in february and now she is much calmer, and spends most of her
days curled up in her special fluffy bed on one the armchairs inthe
front room. though she does nto actively seek out your attention she
is mor ethan happy to sleep next to you onthe sofa and will purr
loudly whenever you stroke her or make any sort of fuss.

however long you have to wait for your lovely little kitty-puss to
emerge it will be well worth the wait, terri is still rather shy at
times but to me that is part of her charm as she kind of remind me bit
of flossie. noe other thing you may try is a feliway diffuser, get
them from your vet, like a plug in air freshener which releases cat
calming pheromones into the air which only they can sense. some people
swear by them, I wish they had been available when we first brought
flossie home.

and thank you also for adopting an older cat and giving one a chance
of a proper home and a fresh start in life, she will love you for it
forever.

bookie

Old July 14th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 13 Jul, 02:28, Gregg wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I had to have my older cat Maincoon cat put to sleep due to her having
a stoke, but that was yesterday, Today I adopted a new 3 yr old tabby
female cat name of Gracie she is very shy, has not moved out from
hilding since of noon today when I brought her home from the annimal
sheater, How long will she be in hiding?

Purrs of comfort for your grief first off...

All of the above advice is excellent. It is all relative & correct.

I would allow her to take it @ her pace. Another useful tip would be
to google cat language. You would be suprised @ how differently we
see things to them!
To look @ a cat in the eye, is to say that you are the dominant
partner, so try not to. Allow her to come out when she is ready to
meet & talk to you. Talk in a very even voice. no shouting, no loud
noises & most of all no direct no confrontation..
I can't tell you how long it will take for her to come to you, but I
can tell you that it would be a lot faster if you allow her to take
the lead.

In our case, Taz hid under the bed for an entire week, & when he did
come out, We allowed him to come to us & leg weave, & we would only
pet him if he allowed us to, but never looked @ him whilst we were
doing it.
Good Luck, & look forward to the photos of her;o)
Sheelagh

See my name in your sleep Judge Rupel Cat health & behaviour 11 July 2nd 07 03:52 AM
Let me Sleep?!? Maryeli Cat health & behaviour 3 March 7th 06 02:32 AM
Trying to sleep Annie Wxill Cat anecdotes 0 March 26th 05 05:54 PM
Sleep Yowie Cat anecdotes 14 November 8th 04 11:53 PM
Let me sleep!! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 October 25th 04 05:13 PM