Chewing kitten

Old July 16th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
New Mommy

Default Chewing kitten

I've just recently gotten a kitten. She was a stray abandoned by her
mother. I've never had a cat before, so I'm fairly new to taking care
of them. Simba (that's her name) likes to "chew" on my hands, instead
of playing with her toys. I've tried the wands and other feathery toys
to distract her from biting my hands, but she just passes over the
toys and goes for my already scratched up hands. What can I do? I've
done the water bottle for weeks now, and it really hasn't had any
effect. Help?!

Old July 17th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"New Mommy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just recently gotten a kitten. She was a stray abandoned by her
mother. I've never had a cat before, so I'm fairly new to taking care
of them. Simba (that's her name) likes to "chew" on my hands, instead
of playing with her toys. I've tried the wands and other feathery toys
to distract her from biting my hands, but she just passes over the
toys and goes for my already scratched up hands. What can I do? I've
done the water bottle for weeks now, and it really hasn't had any
effect. Help?!

The water bottle does not work for problems like this
A LOUD NO or OUCH is much better even a hiss can work when she tries this.
You have let the problem go on so it will take a little while to stop it
The kitten is becoming over stimulated when you see her going for her hand
drop the toy and use the loud NO or OUCH

Worse comes to worse you can wear a glove or coat your hand with something
that taste or smells bad such as bitter apple or citrus smell

For me I use a coffee can full of marbles when one of my furballs does
something wrong. They hate that noise and know when I reach for it they
have done something wrong and stop immediately

Phantom my oldest used to do this I let it go on for a long time thought it
was natural for them to do it. I used the Ouch before I learned about the
marbles. Phantoms still nips but only enough to let me know he is there and
than he licks my hand when he nips. The nip is only enough to put pressure
on the skin the only time he has ever drawn blood was when I pulled away to
quick.

Old July 17th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

"New Mommy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just recently gotten a kitten. She was a stray abandoned by her
mother. I've never had a cat before, so I'm fairly new to taking care
of them. Simba (that's her name) likes to "chew" on my hands, instead
of playing with her toys. I've tried the wands and other feathery toys
to distract her from biting my hands, but she just passes over the
toys and goes for my already scratched up hands. What can I do? I've
done the water bottle for weeks now, and it really hasn't had any
effect. Help?!

Kittens have their own language, so you have to "speak it" to make them
understand. When she bites, make a *very* high-pitched "MEW" - that's
kitten talk for "uncle" (when two kittens are play fighting, and one issues
that "MEW", the other will sit back and give it a break before starting to
play again)! That should stop her immediately - then take your hand away
and give her a "time out" by not playing with her for a few minutes. *Then*
try to distract her with a wand toy.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 17th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
New Mommy

On Jul 16, 7:32 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"New Mommy" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Tomorrow, I will give everything
you have taught me a try. If nothing works, you'll find a new post on
here about it.

:] New Mommy

Old July 17th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 17 Jul, 08:17, New Mommy wrote:
On Jul 16, 7:32 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

"New Mommy" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

:] New Mommy- Hide quoted text -

This may sound a little mad, but, have you thought of buying her a
doggy chew?

Some of the reason that she is biting is because she is teething. We
all know what it is like when a tooth comes through. The more that you
tell yourself not to probe it with your tongue, the more often you
find your tongue doing exactly that?!!

A doggy chew will help her because it smells good, it tastes right &
they are safe for her to chew on..& it will last forever if you get a
good one. It will also help with those teeth that are still trying to
push through the gums.

The other half to this one is that kitty is only mock fighting as she
did with her litter mates.. so please don't think this is because she
wants to hurt you. It is a natural thing that all kittens do.

With the expression of surprise and pain, she will stop straight away.

And with Matthew's advice, the surprise factor should hit home

Both Matthews & C.N's advice is brilliant too.

We look forward to hearing how you got on with it, if you have the
time to post, please?
Sheelagh "o"

Old July 18th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oldhickory

Yes, ours was chewing too, so we got her some cute rawhide candy canes at
the pet shop. She slid them on the floor and chased them and chewed on
them--they worked great. The mewing idea is good--I always communicate with
ours in "their own" language and it seems to help.

Ours grew up to be a wool-chewer--sucking on blankets, etc., as an
adult--probably due to not being weaned (she was rescued from the freeway as
a kitten where she'd been tossed out a window (multiple injuries but
surgeries and nursing care did the trick). Sometimes she falls asleep with
the blankie in her mouth--it's just pitiful and precious:

http://www.davidandmollie.com/kittie...ycat/index.htm

Good luck!
--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Sheelagh o" wrote in message
oups.com...

On 17 Jul, 08:17, New Mommy wrote:
On Jul 16, 7:32 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

roups.com...

Old July 18th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"oldhickory" wrote in message
Yes, ours was chewing too, so we got her some cute rawhide candy canes at
the pet shop. She slid them on the floor and chased them and chewed on
them--they worked great. The mewing idea is good--I always communicate
with ours in "their own" language and it seems to help.

Ours grew up to be a wool-chewer--sucking on blankets, etc., as an
adult--probably due to not being weaned (she was rescued from the freeway
as a kitten where she'd been tossed out a window (multiple injuries but
surgeries and nursing care did the trick). Sometimes she falls asleep with
the blankie in her mouth--it's just pitiful and precious:

http://www.davidandmollie.com/kittie...ycat/index.htm

Good luck!

Poor baby - what a horrible way to start a life! But, oh how cute!!!

I have one that was weaned too early, but thankfully without the trauma.
Sammy sucks her toe. She's 18 pounds of muscle (Maine Coon ancestry I
think), but she still jumps up next to me to knead me while she sucks that
back toe for all it's worth! ;

http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Toe_Suck_Movie/

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Sheelagh o" wrote in message
oups.com...

On 17 Jul, 08:17, New Mommy wrote:
On Jul 16, 7:32 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

roups.com...

Old July 18th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
New Mommy

On Jul 17, 8:44 am, "Sheelagh o"
wrote:
On 17 Jul, 08:17, New Mommy wrote:

On Jul 16, 7:32 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

"New Mommy" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Okay, I'll try that one too. I have heard that she could be teething
as well, she only has little baby teeth in right now, so I just let
her chew on my hand. But then one day I noticed that blood was
dripping from a bite on my hand. After that day, I haven't let her do
it since.

Old July 19th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 18 Jul, 22:16, New Mommy wrote:
On Jul 17, 8:44 am, "Sheelagh o"
wrote:

On 17 Jul, 08:17, New Mommy wrote:

On Jul 16, 7:32 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

"New Mommy" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

it since.- Hide quoted text -

Best of Luck & I really hope this works as well for you as it did for
us.
Be great to hear how things are going when you get time?
Thanx,
Sheelagh "o"

Old July 20th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
New Mommy

wrote:

On 17 Jul, 08:17, New Mommy wrote:

On Jul 16, 7:32 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

"New Mommy" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

I'm still working on getting her to stop biting. She still seems to do
it no matter what I do! I do the very high pitched MEW & ignore her,
yell NO and OUCH really loud right next to her, but it doesn't bother
her. As long as she can walk away and come back to pounce on my hand
or ankles, nothing bothers her. I guess I'll consider buying some
rawhide chew toys this weekend. I don't know what to do! If this
doesn't work, I think my grandma and I are going to have a fit! She
constantly attacks people's ankles when they're walking (and I know
it's normal to do this) but she'll draw blood and it scares my baby
brother to death! I just want her to stop and be a happy kitten at the
same time.