My 2.5 yr old cat gave birth to 1 stillbirth cat

Old July 17th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
glreuther1

Default My 2.5 yr old cat gave birth to 1 stillbirth cat

My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

Old July 17th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"glreuther1" u35904@uwe wrote in message news:754a1d1aa8ae0@uwe...
My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
her spayed.

Old July 17th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
glreuther1

Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
nasty attitude to your damn self.

Old July 17th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"glreuther1" u35904@uwe wrote in message news:754a4720c524c@uwe...
Well this message board is supposed to be helpful not ignorant, keep your
nasty attitude to your damn self.

--------
I doubt that you'll find one single person on this board who doesn't agree
with cybercat.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old July 17th 07, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

cybercat wrote:
My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten
was
dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She
has
not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows
no
sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
her spayed.- Hide quoted text -

You are wrong. While pet Nazi dominate pet groups. Normal people do
visit from time to time.

You are right in that most here don't know a thing about breeding.

Old July 17th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

That response is neither ignorant nor nasty. First, we can't possibly know
if anything is wrong, but a delay of 7.5 hours clearly calls for a visit to
the vet ASAP. Second, the response may have been abrupt, but most of us on
this group have seen the heartbreaking results of people who continue to let
their cats breed. We have a dreadful problem with overpopulation of cats
and dogs (at least in the US), and only an aggressive spay/neuter program
can help. Even if a person has the best of intentions and finds homes for
all of the kittens produced by his or her cat, that means that there are
other cats that will probably be euthanized in shelters because there are no
homes for them. By coincidence, I attended a press conference last week at
our local shelter. The conference was set up for interviews by members of
the Humane Society and several rescue groups and was intended to call
attention to this very problem. The local shelter had to close its doors
(temporarily) on Tuesday because there was no room available. Forty-seven
animals were euthanized Tuesday. Employees opened the doors again at 10
a.m. Wednesday, and the shelter had already taken in 59 new animals (37 cats
and 22 dogs) within and two hours -- and closed again. This is a continuing
problem. Moreover, a larger shelter will not solve the problem. Only
spay/neuter can solve this problem. Our little town averages about 5,500
animal surrenders annually -- 4,000 of which had to be euthanized last year.
And that does not include the large number of cats and dogs that are simply
abandoned and suffer a far more painful death than humane euthanization.
Moreover, this town is not unique with the problem I cited. Far from it! I
might add, spay/neuter has beneficial aspects for the cat because there are
certain medical conditions that the procedure will prevent or reduce (such
as ovarian or uterine cancer, reduction in breast cancer, and reduction in
prostate cancer). Whenever I read that a parent says that he or she wants
their children to witness "the miracle of birth," I wonder if they are also
prepared for their children to witness "the miracle of death" because that
is what happens to an incredibly large number of animals as a result of pet
overpopulation.

So, we are not being cruel when we tell someone to have their cats spayed or
neutered. I do understand your pain at seeing the stillborn kitten and your
concern about what to do now. The advice may have sounded heartless under
the circumstances, but the advice was actually sound. First and foremost,
of course, is to get your cat to a vet because people on a newsgroup cannot
have any way of knowing if there is still a medical problem.

MaryL

Old July 17th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:08:26 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten was
dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She has
not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows no
sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
her spayed.

I second that. Take it to the vet and make sure everything is all
right with her!!

Prayers and purrs that nothing is wrong.

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ }=

Old July 17th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
glreuther1 via CatKB.com

I am fully aware of that, I tried to call the vet a few hours afterward and
they did not return the call until this morning. I have two cats, 1 male and
1 female both siamese, this is why she was not Spayed. We were happy she was
pregnant, not to witness child birth but to keep their blood lines going.
And yes I totally agree their is a terrible over population and it needs to
be handled. However, I only popped in here while looking up the information
on line regarding the birthing process, because although my cat has had vet
visits while pregnant, the vet never told us how long the process should take.
And out of just ignorance we assumed it would be like any birthing process
and it could take time. She did not appear to be in labor still after the
first kitten was born. She resumed normal activities, such as eating,
drinking, jumping on to our laps. And appeared to have no contractions. I
just thought thought possibility to get a bit of advice at that time of night,
although slim, might be good. In the long run we found and emergency vet
whom saw her at 1am and they did a sonogram, she did not have anymore babies.
And we made an appt. to have her spayed since it was very heart breaking to
see her have to go through that. I went through it myself years ago, so can
imagine her pain and suffering.

MaryL wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Old July 17th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
glreuther1 via CatKB.com

I did also see similar messages on the board that were responded to, that is
what prompted me to leave a message. Next time I know don't ask non-
professionals questions, because when they don't have an answer it becomes
the fight or flight response.

glreuther1 wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 42 lines]

Old July 17th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

cybercat wrote:
My cat gave birth to 1 kitten today 7/16/07 about 4:30pm. The kitten
was
dead when it was born. We tried to revive it and nothing worked. She
has
not given birth to any other kittens in the last 7.5 hours. She shows
no
sign of distress, she is jumping on our laps and eating and drinking as
normal. This was her first litter, is this normal?

How would we know? Take her to the vet and have her checked, and get
her spayed.

What in the world was nasty about what Cybercat wrote???!

Personally, I think her advice was spot on.

CatNipped