16 Year Old Cat

Old July 26th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default 16 Year Old Cat

Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Old July 26th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

Old July 26th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 26, 2:51 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!

Old July 26th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 26, 2:58 pm, wrote:
On Jul 26, 2:51 pm, "cybercat" wrote:

wrote in message

oups.com...

Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!

If aspirin is deadly for cats then why would the vet tell ust to give
it to him?

Old July 26th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 26, 2:51 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!

Ok my other post has not show up yet but what type of aspirin are you
giving him is it aspirin or Acetaminophen ( Tylenol)
Why does the vet have him on it what dosage are you giving him and when

Old July 26th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

NEW VET NOW

Q: What about my cat and aspirin?
A: Same cautions as above, but with the added warning of time between doses.
Cats cannot break down this drug as quickly as dogs (or humans), and thus,
the cat can be overdosed with the accumulation of the drug in the body.

Cats are typically dosed at intervals of 48-72 hours.

Q: What about other drugs, like Tylenol® and Advil®?
A: In a word, no. Tylenol can be fatal to cats. Neither drug (acetaminophen
and ibuprofen, respectively) is routinely used for arthritis.

Human medications are another source of pet poisoning -- either by
intentionally giving pets human medications (trying to medicate a sick or
injured pet) or by accidental ingestion by an unsupervised pet. Never give
your pet a human medication unless under the direct recommendation and
supervision of your veterinarian. Common human medications such as Tylenol®
can be fatal to a cat.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1379
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95551.htm
http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catpain.html

Old July 26th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-8.htm

Old July 26th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"cybercat" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

----------
??? My vet prescribed aspirin for my cat to reduce his risk of blood clots
due to cardiac hypertrophy. Another vet has suggested aspirin to deal with
my cat's arthritis. The recommended dose is 81 mg twice a week. Are you sure
you're not thinking of Tylenol or ibuprofen (which would be deadly for a
cat)?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old July 26th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Matthew" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 26, 2:51 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Well, he has been given cat milk since he was a baby and for the last
16 years he has had it every morning. I did not give him any today.
We also give him aspirin for his bones, per our vet. I noticed that
when we gave him the aspirin, he would get sick. I stopped giving him
the aspirin and he seems to be keeping his food down much better,
thank God! Other then grass, is there anything else that would help
his tummy fel better? and is there anything else I could give him
other then aspirin for his arthritis?

Aspirin is deadl for cats, are you crazy? Turn off your computer and
Take your cat to the vet.

But the Vet is the one that told us to give it to him!

Ok my other post has not show up yet but what type of aspirin are you
giving him is it aspirin or Acetaminophen ( Tylenol)
Why does the vet have him on it what dosage are you giving him and when

--------
Aspirin is not deadly for cats but I think the problem arises because of the
risk of overdose. A safe dose of aspirin for a cat is 81 mg (aka low-dose
aspirin or baby aspirin) twice a week. Tylenol and ibuprofen (Motrin) are
not types of aspirin, but completely different medications and should not be
given to cats at all.
Best regards,
---Cindy

Old July 26th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 26, 3:13 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Just some info on it some are not on topic but you can get the hint

http://www.thestreet.com
CAT Info
Get up to date information, news, & analysis on CAT.
Rank: ±0
LookSmarthttp://www.Shopica.com
Cat Aspirin
Learn about Cat Aspirin
Rank: ±0
LookSmarthttp://www.Celetopia.com
Aspirin
Find Aspirin in Health & Beauty Supplies .
Rank: ±0
LookSmarthttp://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1456&articleid=1379
Aspirin (Aftercare, Arthricare, Ascriptin, Bayer, Bufferin)
... for use, side effects, dose, contraindications, drug or food
interactions, toxicity, and signs of an overdose of aspirin. ... Aspirin can
be fatal to cats. ...
Rank: ±0
AltaVistahttp://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/altvetmedgeneral/a/dogcataspirin..htm
Veterinary Questions and Answers - Veterinary Medicine
Can you give a dog or cat aspirin? Please see the archive for more Q & A
topics. As a Guide for this veterinary medicine site, I receive a lot of
viewer
Rank: ±0
AOLhttp://www.usp.org/pdf/EN/veterinary/aspirin.pdf
ASPIRIN Veterinary"Systemic
[Adobe PDF] Cats and dogs: Aspirin has. failed to produce a demonstrable
benefit when ... Cats: Aspirin has been shown to have dose-dependent
elimination in ...
Rank: ±78
Lycoshttp://www.graysolutions.com/kittycats/automate.php?show_page=/conten...
Aspirin Toxicity in Cats
Aspirin is a commonly found household medication that many people take as
they please for minor aches and pains. This is not a safe solution for your
cat.
Rank: ±78
MSNhttp://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_aspirin.html
Aspirin
acid that is essential in the diet of cats and dogs, makes up cell
membranes. CATS METABOLIZE ASPIRIN VERY VERY SLOWLY. AND IT IS EASY TO
OVERDOSE THEM.
Rank: ±0
Yahoo!http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-8.htm
Acetaminophen - aspirin for sick cats - weekly pet tips by Pets.ca
Aspirin or acetaminophen for cats. Pets.ca is Canada's source for info on
pets cats Aspirin. Reputable breeders - how to choose. Tail chasing. Cats
and
Rank: ±78
Yahoo!http://www.vetinfo.com/catmed.html
Medication and Cats
Acetaminophen is toxic to cats, aspirin is extraordinarily easy to overdose
in cats because the half-life of aspirin in a cat is 72 hours (3 days!) and
other non-steroidal medications do not appear ...
Rank: ±78
MSNhttp://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95551.htm
Dr Karl's Homework - Cats and Aspirin (26/1/2000)
Dr Karls Homework Recently on the Morning Show we were asked if you can give
your cat painkillers The short answer is most probably NOT So next time your
Rank: ±0
AOLhttp://www.catsunited.com/html/cat_health.html
Cat Health
cuidubble Cats United Services Home Welcome CUI Headquarters News/Events
Classified Ads Cat Owner Education Cat Education Cat Health Category/Breed
List Non ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.petplace.com/cats/chronic-coughing-in-cats/page1.aspx
Chronic Coughing in Cats
Chronic Coughing in Cats Petplace.com Ask Dr. Jon Recent Answers About Us
Puppies Adults Dogs Dog Names Dog Breeds Dog Training Dog Products Dog
Medical ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.petplace.com/cats/aspirin-and-pet-liver/page1.aspx
Aspirin and pet liver
Gastrointestinal problems are common in dogs whereas central nervous system
depression is most common in cats. Aspirin Toxicity in Cats Best of luck!
Dr. Jon Send Us Your Question I will choose five ...
Rank: ±78
MSNhttp://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catmed.html
Medication and Cats
Tapazole and cats. Acepromazine and alternatives. Aspirin or Acetaminophen.
Benedryl overdose in cats because the half-life of aspirin in a cat is 72
Rank: ±0
Yahoo!http://www.articlesbase.com/autos-ar...city-in-your-c...
Aspirin Toxicity In Your Cat
Aspirin Toxicity In Your Cat When many of us think of Aspirin, we think of a
very common medication that is found in a lot of homes; almost everyone has
Rank: ±0
AOLhttp://www.vetinfo.com/
VetInfo - Veterinary Medical Information for Dogs and Cats
We want you to know as much as possible about health care for your pet.
Vetinfo vetinfo4cats catindex catmedgallery vetinfo4dog ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catpain.html
Pain in Cats
Controling pain in cats. ... Pain in Cats. Aspirin or Acetaminophen ...
overdose in cats because the half-life of aspirin in a cat is 72 hours (3
days! ...
Rank: ±78
Lycoshttp://tafkac.org/animals/cats_and_aspirin.html
Animals/cats and aspirin
The AFU and Urban Legend Archive. Animals. cats and aspirin ... Aspirin is
very bad for cats (slow removal of salicyates from their. bodies) ...
Rank: ±0
Lycoshttp://pethealth101.com/arthritis_and_joint/NSAID.shtml
Arthritis and NSAID's
An NSAID, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, is a medication that
relieves pain, fever, and inflammation. Adopting Dental Feline Leukemia
Nutrition ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.cat-world.com.au/AspirinPoisoning.htm
Aspirin Poisoning in Cats - Symptoms & Treatment
Aspirin poisoning in cats is a serious & life threatening emergency. Find
out what the signs of aspirin toxicity is & how it is treated.
Rank: ±0
AOLhttp://www.petplace.com/cats/aspirin-toxicity-in-cats/page1.aspx
Aspirin Toxicity in Cats
Aspirin toxicity (salicylate toxicity) is poisoning that occurs following
the ingestion of aspirin or aspirin-containing products. Aspirin toxicity
usually occurs because of the ingestion of ...
Rank: ±78
MSNhttp://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=552&S=2&EVetID=0
Aspirin - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!
... Cats » Aspirin | ... for veterinary information only) ACETYLSALICYLIC
ACID Available in 81mg, 325mg and 500mg ...
Rank: ±0
MSNhttp://www.calvetsupply.com/
Veterinary supplies and wholesale pet supplies online for dogs, cats and....
Calvetsupply.com proudly offers quality veterinary supplies and wholesale
pet supplies. Find healthy dog treats, cat products, and the rest of your
pet ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/asprin.html
Asprin Toxicity in Cats ~ Pawprints and Purrs, Inc.
Cats do not metabolise aspirin very slowly and it is extremely easy to give
a ... biological half-life of aspirin is 37.5 hours in cats, meaning that it
takes 3 ...
Rank: ±0
Lycoshttp://www.geocities.com/heartland/pointe/9352/alphalinks.html
Tally's Cat Care, Behavior, Health & Illness Links - A~B
Is it OK to give your cat aspirin? VetCentric Aspirin Toxicity The Pet Place
Acetominophen Poisoning Note also: Kaopectate. Dr. Roger Ross, DVM
Rank: ±0
AOLhttp://www.associatedcontent.com/article/31566/is_it_ok_to_give_a_cat....
Is it OK to Give a Cat Aspirin? - Associated Content
Check out Is it OK to Give a Cat Aspirin? Submitted by karis welty at
Associated Content.
Rank: ±0
AOLhttp://www.petplace.com/dogs/aspirin-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Aspirin Toxicity in Dogs
Cats are more susceptible to the effects of aspirin than are dogs because
they ... in dogs whereas central nervous system depression is most common in
cats. ...
Rank: ±0
Lycoshttp://www.entirelypets.com/
EntirelyPets.com - Discount Pet Meds Pet Supplies Plus Pet Medicine Pet...
Discount pet meds, flea control and pet supplies online. Pet prescriptions,
pet supplies and flea control medications including: Frontline, Advantage,
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.vetinfo4cats.com/pageindex.html
Images
Tylanol or Acetaminophen toxicity. DO NOT give any cat a non-steroidal
anti-inflammatory medication without consulting with your vet first.
Acetaminophen is toxic to cats, aspirin is ...
Rank: ±78
MSNhttp://www.911healthshop.com/petshealth.html
Pet's Health
HACKER SAFE certified sites prevent over 99.9% of hacker crime. Home Weight
Loss Protocol Current Promotions Shop by Brand As Seen on TV Anti-Aging Bath
& ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.aafponline.org/
AAFP - American Association of Feline Practitioners
AAFP - American Association of Feline Practitioners AAFP 203 Towne Centre
Dr. Hillsborough, NJ 08844-4693 phone 800-874-0498 phone 908-359-9351 fax
908-359- ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.epetsearch.com/node/33
Aspirin Toxicity in Cats | ePetSearch
Welcome to ePetSearch! This site is an on-line resource for pet related
information.
Rank: ±0
MSNhttp://0.r.msn.com/?ld=2v6RKPAhBqGC98DcOhEwf/65YHCzJY5WIQatI2QOL38Zkw...
Cat Urine Behavior
Problems? Get products and advice that really work at Cat Faeries.
Rank: ±0
MSNhttp://placervillevet.com/
Common-sense health care for dogs and cats.
Practical, down-to-earth information about pet health and and training - the
problems veterinarians deal with every day. happy puppy 130.GIF (1681 bytes)
The ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/
Discount Pet Supplies Discount
, Discount Pet Supplies from GregRobert. GregRobert offers a great selection
of Aquarium, Cat, Bird, Pond, Dog and many products at discounted prices.
Pet ...
Rank: ±0
Entirewebhttp://3647.r.msn.com/?ld=2vLBB2yXSwEP4wMK8q4IW7KNk1M2larxzZWB8vKUVW7...
Ask A Cat Question Now
Veterinarians, Vet Techs and Cat Experts Answer You Online ASAP!
Rank: ±0
MSNhttp://0.r.msn.com/?ld=2vbZ81UhCKTrrcaFGLvFRkdZoDF5CHfiPLg6DRK3rVKMLG ...
Find Info On cats
Top Results On cats From The Top Search Engines.
Rank: ±0
MSN ...

read more »

Wow, good to know! The Vet told us to give him a 1/4 of children's
aspirin every other day.