Feline Cycles

Old July 27th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Feline Cycles

My cat is almost a year old (born Septemer). She must had some puberty
by now but nothing too discomfiting. What I want to know is, do heat
cycles occur regularly, annually, predictably, or what? (What I REALLY
want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying and
innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)

Thanks.
Bill King

Old July 27th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Jul 27, 9:43 am, "
wrote:
My cat is almost a year old (born Septemer). She must had some puberty
by now but nothing too discomfiting. What I want to know is, do heat
cycles occur regularly, annually, predictably, or what? (What I REALLY
want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying and
innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)

Once a cat is sexually mature, she can be continually in heat until
she mates. Please, please, please, for her sake and yours, get her
spayed now. Don't add to the pet overpopulation problem. I think most
people on this newsgroup will agree with me on this topic.

If money is an issue, see a low-cost clinic or call your local
shelter. Many shelters offer spay/neuter services based on income.

Also, until she's spayed, please keep her INDOORS.

Old July 27th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 27 Jul, 15:43, " wrote:
My cat is almost a year old (born Septemer). She must had some puberty
by now but nothing too discomfiting. What I want to know is, do heat
cycles occur regularly, annually, predictably, or what? (What I REALLY
want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying and
innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)

Thanks.
Bill King

get her spayed and get her injections done, not to do this is
extremely irresponsible

end of

bookie

Old July 27th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

She's going to YOWLLLLLLLLLLL and make a ruccus like you've never heard
before and you are going to have every male cat in a 5 mile radius hanging
out at your door and spraying your property. Do both of you a favor and get
her to the vets and get her spayed before it happens.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old July 28th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

wrote:
What I REALLY want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying
and innoculating her for another year?. I don't mind a bit of
rambunctionessness but if she starts baying I will lose it.)
Thanks.
Bill King

What's with you? You want a veterinarian to work for nothing? Call a couple
vet practices in your area & get an idea of the cost & yes, there IS a cost,
why not? Would you be willing to work for cost or nothing as you seem to be
suggesting? You always have the option of utilizing one of the low cost spay-
neuter clinics that go on from time to time - you came here to ask but you
could just as easily google using your city + "low cost spay neuter clinic".
You should call your local SPCA, your municipality, the local vets, volunteer
groups & there are spay-neuter assistance programs (SNAP) run by local vet
clinics, the municipalities, etc etc.

And what will happen when your kitty needs vet care for one reason or another?
Will this same unreasonable attitude be your first thought - that vets are
extortionists? If so, please look for another good home for her.
M.

Old July 28th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

First of all, the question was about recurrence of heat cycles.

Monty is a srictly indoor cat (and therefore has a much chance of
getting pregrant as I have) and I might add that she gets daily play,
paid-for cat-sitting when I am at work, the best of cat food, and the
run of every inch if my house.

And yes, she gets medical care too - for which I pay. It is just that
the vet requires not only $300 for a hysterectomy (which I have no
quibble with), but three visits and the same cost or more for
innoculationns against diseases she has no chance of getting.

In fac, there is a serious debate within the verterinary profession
whether these innoculations do more harm than good. For example, there
is a risk of cancer at the injection site, which is why some vets now
give the innoculation on a limb which, in case of cancer, can be
removed. There is also the question of whether these repeated
innoculations are being over-given in order to get cats back to the
vet for their boosters more often. Why I call it exhortation is that
no vet I called in my area will perform the hysterectromy without all
the inncoluations (they lean on you for declawing (a form of
mutilation) too. One even told me that they have no choice but in
Ontario, at least, the only legally mandatory vaccination is against
rabies. The standards of the veterian organizations are voluntary, so
the lady who told me this seems to have been lying too.

I don't think loving one's cat is inconcsistent with regarding
veterinarism as a racket. But don't worry I DO love my cat! I would
just like to postpone the $600 and four part-days off work (two JUST
for needles) for awhile if it will do neither of us harm. THAT was the
question I asked but I seem to have got answers to various other ones.

Bil King

Old July 28th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

What I REALLY want to know is can I avoid the extortionistic expense of spaying

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]

[...]

I can't answer you on heat cycles because I have always spayed or neutered
every cat I've had because I believe this is in the best interest of the cat
for a long healthy life. I also live in Ontario so I'm reading some of your
comments with skepticism. I've never had a vet push declawing over the past
35 years. Yes, rabies is compulsary by law here. As far as I know, spaying
requires an overnight stay which means they would want to protect all other
cats which will be coming into the kennel area afterwards. No responsible vet
(or pet owner ) would want an unvaccinated cat to be boarded in the kennel
area because of the risk of spreading a communicable disease afterwards.
There are many highly contagious illnesses that are easily spread. My current
vet's practice boarding area was closed to all cats for 1-2 months a couple
years ago because of such an incident & I've heard of similar things
happening at other clinics & private homes after the arrival of a new cat.
This risk is so much higher than the far more remote possibility of cancer at
the injection site.

There's always evening & weekend hours at a clinic so why 4 half days off
work? My experience obviously has been different from yours because most
vaccinations now are good for 3 years & my vet is very good about only doing
what's necessary once the initial vaccinations were done, i.e. my 3 & 5 yr
old cats haven't had any shots the past 2 years & in the last 5 years of my
last very elderly cat's life - no shots were given to her.

And have you explored the low cost options? Have you called other local vets
in your area, or your local SPCA, your particular municipality, or some of
the volunteer/rescue groups? Have you asked all of those about the spay-
neuter assistance programs available?
M.

Old July 28th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

First off there is a 1 in 1000 chance of cancer from an injection. Plus if
they happen to get it they were predisposed to it and eventually would have
gotten cancer at some point in life it's in the genes.

As the for the vaccines you are just asking for problems just because she's
not outside does not mean that she's immune from disease. Anything even a
simple cold can be picked up from through an open screened window to you
yourself carrying it into the house on the soles of your shoe. Parvo can
live on for years in soil if not properly treated with clorox and
disinfectant and is easily transmitted by a person just walking though the
property.

I have a cat who lost a limb to a booster rabies shot at 3 years of age. It
was giant cell tumor a rare cancer that rarely shows up in cats but often
does in dogs. She get no more vaccines by needle but gets nasal vaccines
instead.

Suck it up and get the cat vaccinated and fixed.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old July 28th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jul 28, 9:08 am, "Spot" wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Bil King- Hide quoted text -

Would you sleep with a man who has a 1/1000 chance of giving you aids?
As to presdisposition, are you suggesing that these cats will get the
cance anyway (albeit later) WITHOUT a precipitatating (i.e.,
innoculation) event?

As to cats getting ca-borne diseases WITHOUT direct contact with other
cats, you are talking one chance in millions. Viruses have very short
lives outside the feline (or human) bodies. Thus the AIDS from toilet
seat myths.

I am not sure that your unhappily three-legged cat is a very good
exhibit for the evidence which you present (especially when you say
"suck it up").

Has it occurred to many of you folk that while some cat-owners (i.e.,
youre corresondent) are not poor enough for special programmes,
neither are they rich enough to spend $1000 on a cat when they may
have eg. a sick mother to provide for instead?

I will get my cat fixed, and probably soone than later.

My original question about heat cycles remains unanswered.

I do think that one can be a cat-lover AND a scpetic as to
veterinarian rackaterring - which, indicidentally, leaves many an
inner-city cat with no medical attention AT ALL!

I am surprised here thre is so much defenence for veterians. I could
cite some figures and analaysis from greater minds than mine ...

Feline Calicivirus Cheryl Cat health & behaviour 5 June 2nd 06 05:54 AM
Feline Diabetes rose ricciuto Cat health & behaviour 4 May 13th 06 04:33 AM
Feline Psycho Marina Cat anecdotes 21 April 16th 06 02:56 AM
Feline Leukemia - what does the end look like? Dave Cat health & behaviour 32 March 14th 04 10:49 PM
Feline CRF Cathy Friedmann Cat health & behaviour 3 October 4th 03 12:29 AM