How Adult Adoptees Can Change Over Time

Old August 1st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default How Adult Adoptees Can Change Over Time

I love writing about my baby cat Gracie, not a baby at all but now about 7-8
years old. I adopted her when she was 1-2 years old, so she has been here a
while. She was a pregnant young adult who had her kittens in the summer of
2001 and had been at the shelter for four months when I adopted her.

At first, would accept petting, and was very friendly and inquisitive, but
never sought us out for affection.

After about a year here, she began coming to me when I was in bed,
approaching me with a series of little questioning meows. She'd get up on
the bed down at my feet and slowly approach my head, pausing until I
responded, giving her a sign that I wanted her to come up and lie down next
to me. If I did not, or just pretended to keep sleeping, she would peer at
me for a minute, make another little chirp, and move away.

Just this past year, after being here for five years, she stopped asking
permission and now approaches with a different tone, like an "Okay, here I
am, let the petting begin!" She just marches right up, plops down beside me
and headbutts my hand until I pet her. If I stop and start to fall asleeep
she headbutts me again.

I get less sleep but I love that she is this comfortable. I have
convinced her that she is mine and I am hers, and she has a right to me.

Something about the way trust builds over time makes these adult adoptees
very special, and every step closer even more cherished.

Old August 1st 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Lovely post. I enjoyed it.

Barb
Old August 2nd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Barb" wrote in message
Lovely post. I enjoyed it.

I'm glad you did. I am working on a little photo page, with pictures of
this character and her cousin Boo.

Old August 2nd 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 01 Aug 2007 03:22:45p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

I get less sleep but I love that she is this comfortable. I
have convinced her that she is mine and I am hers, and she has a
right to me.

Something about the way trust builds over time makes these adult
adoptees very special, and every step closer even more
cherished.

Amen. Your posts about Gracie give me hope for Bonnie. But if she
never becomes tame, I will still love her. I'd just like it to be
easier to get her to the vet when it's time. Other than that, I can
live and let live.

--
Cheryl

Old August 2nd 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 2 Aug, 02:38, "cybercat" wrote:
"Barb" wrote in message

Lovely post. I enjoyed it.

I'm glad you did. I am working on a little photo page, with pictures of
this character and her cousin Boo.

i hope that nick, the chap who has just adopted the british blue bi-
colour cat, has read this and takes note; it may take time for your
furball to trust you but it is worth it inthe end

bookie

ADULT Blogs (Total 231,989) about your adult-life. Total Posts: 4,867,454 Stormin Mormon[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 May 19th 07 02:40 PM
Time change bobblespin Cat anecdotes 0 October 29th 06 12:56 PM
I am an adult by Qui Gun Kit Pamela Shirk Cat anecdotes 19 March 30th 06 10:02 AM
screening adoptees.... [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 5 February 21st 06 07:14 PM
IT'S TIME TO CHANGE THE PRACTICES OF THE PET FOOD INDUSTRY!!!!! Introduction WalterNY Cat health & behaviour 82 February 12th 04 04:21 AM