Dogs For Rent Coming To The UK

Old August 2nd 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
GGVA

Default Dogs For Rent Coming To The UK

A company in California is offering people who are unable to make a
full time commitment to a pet, the chance to rent a dog.

For the equivalent of £49 a year, FlexPetz customers get to spend
time with one of the company's Afghan Hounds, Labrador Retrievers or
Boston Terriers. FlexPetz founder Marlena Cervantes is hoping to
expand her business to London by the end of the year.

Full article:
http://www.ukpets.co.uk/?section=Hom...etch&item=1265

Old August 2nd 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

are you ****ing serious? sounds fairly tragic to me

Old August 2nd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"GGVA" wrote in message
oups.com...
A company in California is offering people who are unable to make a
full time commitment to a pet, the chance to rent a dog.

For the equivalent of £49 a year, FlexPetz customers get to spend
time with one of the company's Afghan Hounds, Labrador Retrievers or
Boston Terriers. FlexPetz founder Marlena Cervantes is hoping to
expand her business to London by the end of the year.

Full article:
http://www.ukpets.co.uk/?section=Hom...etch&item=1265

What a stupid idea! This might be a money-maker to the person who owns this
"business," but it is nothing short of animal cruelty. Those poor dogs (and
other animals, if she expands this business) will never have any sense of
security. Nothing will be permanent, no one to really love. Whoever
thought up this idea should qualify for the darwin award, and I hope steps
will be taken to put a stop to it.

MaryL

Old August 2nd 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 2 Aug, 15:22, bookie wrote:
On 2 Aug, 12:35, GGVA wrote:

A company in California is offering people who are unable to make a
full time commitment to a pet, the chance to rent a dog.

For the equivalent of £49 a year, FlexPetz customers get to spend
time with one of the company's Afghan Hounds, Labrador Retrievers or
Boston Terriers. FlexPetz founder Marlena Cervantes is hoping to
expand her business to London by the end of the year.

Full article:http://www.ukpets.co.uk/?section=Hom...etch&item=1265

are you ****ing serious? sounds fairly tragic to me

Errmmm...
Are you serious?
Has anyone thought of the dogs welfare, feelings & thoughts on how
they feel about this deal by any chance?

I have to say that for all the well meaning thoughts and Intentions on
this one, that I feel it is a terrible idea. Imagine the poor Dogs
feelings when the rental period is up & it has to go back to the
yard, what happens then?
Also, what happenes to the person who falls in love with the animal &
has to surrender it?

Why not just donate $49 to your local no kill shelter and go take it
for a walk when the mood takes you?

I have a horrible story to tell you about this type of well
intentioned thought:

I am ashamed to say that my mother in law was gifted a dog for her
birthday the year after her husband died, by her well intentioned
daughter. The daughter felt that it was the perfect partnership. It
meant that mum would have company now that dad was gone, & that the
dog was homed from the shelter. (seems reasonable so far...)

The dog was 13 years old & piddled on the kitchen floor and fouled in
the hallway every night. This meant that mother had a extra cleaning
to do that she never invited & the dog was unhappy in the company of
someone who I am certain it could tell was not best thrilled with the
arrangement.

This went on for around 8 months. in that 8 months the dog ran off
twice, & Mother had to pay a pick up fee of £80 to the dog catching
section of the local council. She didn't just open the door and let it
out. She used to open the door, hang the laundry out, & he could go
our whilst she was there with him, to do his business & stretch his
legs. But, in that time 3 of those times the dog legged it!!

On the third time it decided to go walkabout, she rang the local
council & advised them that she didn't have the money to get him back
as it were. In one sense this was true. She couldn't afford to pay £80
($160), every time it decided to wander off. She was also honest
enough to tell the the tale I am telling you, so the dog had to go
back to the dog pound (shelter).

My worry about this link is that it is the sort of thing that well
meaning people look @ & decided to inflict on their relatives, in an
attempt to make up for not being there all of the time to keep the
parent company. In that case it would be detrimental to the dog (or
cat!!), & also the person who receives them had no say in the matter
to start with, because the price is so affordable.
Just my thoughts on the matter....
Sheelagh "o"

Old August 2nd 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 2 Aug, 17:36, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"GGVA" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

I so agree with you Mary.. it does tantamount to outright cruelty!!

What happens if the rental dogs current owner falls in love with the
pet that they have?

What happens if the animal adapts well to the home it is in, but the
owner really can't affords the fee every tie it came around?

I would be most surprised if the dogs didn't all come with behavioural
difficulties when it goes to each home because all the poor thing is
used to, is being pushed from pillar to post!!

This has to be one of thew worst money spinning cruelty idea's that
has ever been created. I have never heard of the Darwin Award, but I
assume that it is one of those awards that are presented to people who
would rather not receive it?

I will certainly take steps to follow this one up, to make sure that
we don't have it over here. in fact, I am off to google it now & write
to my local RSPCA association & remind my MP to make sure that he
raises this question in the House of Commons, because our animals have
rights now that the new Bill was passed by Parliament. This is cruelty
in the first degree, & our pets should be protected from this. It is
the right of our Member of Parliament, to question something that
might be of detriment to any pet as well as citizens in his
constituency now.

Backing away from the PC now to cool down

Sheelagh"o"

Old August 2nd 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Sheelagh o" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 2 Aug, 17:36, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"GGVA" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

The Darwin Awards are named for Charles Darwin (theory of evolution). The
actual "awards" were supposedly given to people who killed themselves in an
especially stupid way, thus removing themselves from the gene pool. Since
then, many people (and this the way I used it) have used Darwin Awards to
simply refer to incredibly stupid modes of behavior.

MaryL

Old August 2nd 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 2 Aug, 17:58, "Sheelagh o" wrote:
On 2 Aug, 17:36, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"GGVA" wrote in message

roups.com...
[...]

Sheelagh"o"- Hide quoted text -

if you click onthe link it says tyhat the humane society or whoever
thoroughly condemns this whole business and points out that dogs tend
to get atatched to people an masters and that constantly attaching to
a master and gettgin to knwo a human and then being torn away form
that master will seriously harm the dogs mental state and be bad for
it's welfare, so atr least someone somewhere is agreeing with us and
pointing out officially what a bad idea this is.

the owner of the business (who obviously has no concern for animals or
dog welfare if she is willign to pimp out her dogs to anyone who comes
along) sadi she wants to expand her business to the UK so i hope that
the RSPCA will do everything they can to stop her. I think the whole
idea is utterly despiocable,a d as you have said, why not just go
along to your local shelter or blue cross centre and offer to take
some of the dogs out for a walk sometime? that is what i have done
inthe past as I cannot have a dog but I still enjoy their company.
even if i could afford the money I would not spend £49 or whatever
'hiring' a dog for the afternoon, that is just so bad for the dogs,
and if you really love dogs you would give the money to a shelter and
get your kick out of seeing it going towards looking dogs who really
need the help in a good environment.

hate to say it but only the yanks would think of doing something like
this, anything to make a quick buck. It is probably the only way this
woman can think of to make money after she has already sold her own
grandmother

grrrrr.........
bookie

Old August 2nd 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 2 Aug, 18:37, bookie wrote:
On 2 Aug, 17:58, "Sheelagh o" wrote:

On 2 Aug, 17:36, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"GGVA" wrote in message

roups.com...
[...]

bookie- Hide quoted text -

Time to step away from the Pc Bookie.

As in all countries, even our own, there are bad egg's. It is just bad
coincidence that the silly Ermentrude who thought this idea up, & sold
her Granny down the river, happens to be American.. After all, not all
of them are like that!

I would hardly class MaryL or Matthew or most of the group for that
matter ( they were just the 1st 2 that came to mind), are like that,
at all. Having said that, I too feel very angry and passionate about
ensuring the ides never reaches here. And, that can only come about,
if we "All work together".

We have some real Sh@ts in this country too. Look at the monsters who
who shot Ringo..As far as I am concerned, the sooner they get shipped
off to Guantanamo bay, the better! I see no difference between a man
who's sole intention is to kill as many people in the name of a faith
that preaches love & peace, than I do a despicable animal abuser who
abuses them in the name of Money, & would frankly use an any vehicle,
to make money at the expense of an animal or Humans expense. (animal
in this case!!)

My point is, that this could have originated in Germany, China,
Russia, or the USA & I would feel the same way about the instigator of
this concept. They just happen to be American in this case. If we
can't "ALL" work together for the good of the Animal with our pet
loving partners, then the Animal is the one that looses in a situation
like this.

So Damn the woman, & to hell with her concept. The vast majority of
Americans feel the same way as we do here, & would gladly shut them
down if they could too. I suppose the ultimate question here, is how
do we support them to kill the concept in it's track's & what do we
have to do to rid them of this Blight, as we would here?
I feel as angry as you do & need to step away too
fuming @ the ears nose and mouth too in agreement of shutting this
idiot down in he tracks!!
Sheelagh "o"

Old August 2nd 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 2 Aug, 18:29, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Sheelagh o" wrote in message

oups.com...
On 2 Aug, 17:36, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"GGVA" wrote in message

roups.com...
[...]

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

AAHhh!
I knew who Charles Darwin was, & what he did to generate all of the
theories of the evolution of all animals known to man when he
circumnavigated the world (particularly Australia seems to come to
mind?)

I just wondered if there was a goof award that was invented to present
to the "The Biggest foolish idea in the world"?, in that name.

I see your point now. Please Forgive my idiotic incomprehension.
Sheelagh"o"

Old August 3rd 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 2 Aug, 19:17, "Sheelagh o" wrote:
On 2 Aug, 18:37, bookie wrote:

On 2 Aug, 17:58, "Sheelagh o" wrote:

On 2 Aug, 17:36, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"GGVA" wrote in message

roups.com...
[...]

Sheelagh "o"- Hide quoted text -

i am sure the animal welfare bill will have to against this whole idea
won't it? time to write letter to lots of people.
anyway i hate the french more than the yanks