One testicle still looks like it's there after neutering

Old August 19th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

Default One testicle still looks like it's there after neutering

1.5 weeks ago I had a stray outdoor male kitty neutered. We'd been
feeding him awhile and it was past time to get him neutered. W.B.
still looks like he has one testicle! I can't believe the vet would
forget to take one out. Plus I boarded him there for 2 nights after
his surgery so I would think they would have looked at his "area."
What a drag! It's a hassle getting him to the vet and I won't be able
to all this week because of work. He seems totally fine. I was
reading that their testicles can look swollen for a month or so after
neutering but why only the one? What could it be?

Candace

P.S. He, unfortunately, is going to remain an outdoor cat which I
don't like but I already have a situation that has been going on for 3
years with my 2 indoor cats needing to be separated plus W.B. is quite
a sprayer and I don't know if that will ever change now since he's
probably at least 3 years old.

Old August 19th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Aug 18, 7:08 pm, Cheryl wrote:
Candace, Rhett has ball "sacks" that still look like they have
something in there, but Shamrock doesn't. I wonder if some just
look that way? It hasn't been that long. Does he urinate in a
place that you can smell it? Maybe put a litterbox outside or
something. I know that sounds stupid, but I clearly have no
suggestions. I just know that intact males have a strong urine
smell that you can't attribute to a neutered male smell.

Getting the neighborhood intacts fixed is a good thing you're
doing. You're helping to ensure that he can't father more litters.
I couldn't take in any more either, if they showed up.

--
Cheryl

Hi, Cheryl. I guess it's the fact that it's the one testicle that
still looks there. One is now shriveled up and one isn't. I hate to
call the vet and ask him if he's sure he did both. Seems kinda
insulting to him. I sure hope he got 'em both or it's not gonna stop
the reproduction, the fighting, the roaming, anything. I all of a
sudden seem to have a "colony" and it makes me sick. There is a wild
momcat with 3 wild babies I can't touch, not so little anymore, maybe
3 months old. They eat at a couple different places, including my
house. I know I should try to trap them but I have to go back to IN
to see my mom in a few days, it's all sooooo stressful, I hate it.
There are 2 other adult males, plus WB, who have been neutered now.
But it's neverending. We have alleys where I live and there are
really "alley cats." They retreat to the alleys during the day and go
down into these underground irrigation tunnels where I'm sure it's a
little cooler this time of the year.

The only sort of okay thing about there being all these outdoor cats
is this is a low traffic neighborhood plus it's so close to downtown
Phoenix that there are no coyotes around and at least it doesn't get
too horribly cold in the winter. This is the worst time of year for
them and I make sure there is plenty of water out, including in the
birdbath. It's not an ideal life but it could be worse. WB is no
longer feral, he's quite sweet but he doesn't seem to mind his lot in
life. He has a bed, plenty of food, and attention. I just want to
make sure he can't reproduce anymore nor roam much, for his safety.

Candace

Old August 20th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Aug 18, 9:55?pm, Candace wrote:
[...]

LOL...!!! For a second there I thought you were talking about your
husband...

IBen Getiner

Old August 20th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alisont via CatKB.com

When we got Tank he had just been nuetered but his ball sacks still looked
like they had something in them. He was fairly aggressive in the beginning
so we took him back to the vet to check and make sure he had actually been
nuetered. It was quite comical. First one vet tech looked at him and said
she couldn't be sure, so she called the second and then the third vet tech in.
All were unsure and then the vet came in and checked and said yes there was
nothing in there. Poor Tank stood the whole time in the examining room with
all these strangers coming in and feeling his privates. They have now shrunk
over time so it is possible. I would check with the vet just to make sure
though.

Old August 21st 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Hi Candace,

I'm sure he got both -- kitty probably has some swelling. You might just
call and tell them what's going on and you were wondering when to be
concerned regarding swelling and infections.

That's good of you to take him in to get him fixed. I hope over time
your household calms down and maybe you'll be able to squeeze him in...

Rhonda

Old August 22nd 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Aug 20, 10:51 pm, Rhonda wrote:
Hi Candace,

I'm sure he got both -- kitty probably has some swelling. You might just
call and tell them what's going on and you were wondering when to be
concerned regarding swelling and infections.

That's good of you to take him in to get him fixed. I hope over time
your household calms down and maybe you'll be able to squeeze him in...

Rhonda

I took him in today. He's fine. The vet said it was just slightly
swollen, not infected or anything and that it should go down in time
or it may just always look different than the other one. He said he
won't be doing any groin modeling (WB, not the vet).

He's a sprayer so even if things calmed down, I'm not sure he could
come live inside, as that might not go away. I know it's not an ideal
life outside but he stays so close by--almost always in our yard--that
I hope he can have a happy, long life. He's the easiest cat I've ever
taken to the vet--doesn't fight me getting in the carrier and purrs
the whole time at the vet. He's very sweet.

Candace

Old August 26th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Candace wrote:
On Aug 20, 10:51 pm, Rhonda wrote:

Hi Candace,

I'm sure he got both -- kitty probably has some swelling. You might just
call and tell them what's going on and you were wondering when to be
concerned regarding swelling and infections.

That's good of you to take him in to get him fixed. I hope over time
your household calms down and maybe you'll be able to squeeze him in...

Rhonda

I took him in today. He's fine. The vet said it was just slightly
swollen, not infected or anything and that it should go down in time
or it may just always look different than the other one. He said he
won't be doing any groin modeling (WB, not the vet).

Hi Candace,

I'm glad he's fine. That's too bad about his modeling career, but good
that he's healthy.

Rhonda