boric acid for eye glop?

Old August 28th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Default boric acid for eye glop?

was told to use, Rudy has been brown junk in the corner of one eye
(nearest his nose) it's not runny, have been cleaning it off with
damp warm cotton pad.....friend told me that was a receptionist at a
Vet's office

2 cups boiling water and 1/2 t. boric acid, cool...use damp cotton pad
or ball to clean it off with. said the vet used too

I've used boric acid for many things and as a kid it was used for a
wash for eyes too

yup, can't afford a vet...but when we got them some how didn't figure
my husband would die

is there something else I can use at home?

Moe hasn't gotten it, phew
I've made up the solution...too hot right now to use

also when u wipe their eyes, which direction should I go?
have been wiping toward the nose, thinking not to spread it any
further
or is there a better way??

ensoul

There's beauty in the silver singing river,
There's beauty in the sunrise in the sky,
But none of these and nothing else can match the beauty,
That I remember in my true love's eyes
~Bob Dylan

Old August 28th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 27 Aug 2007 08:02:35p, ensoul wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:1188259355.004907.125460
@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

also when u wipe their eyes, which direction should I go?
have been wiping toward the nose, thinking not to spread it any
further
or is there a better way??

I know it's a hardship when faced with bills you can't afford,
especially with what you've gone through, but I don't think it's a
good idea to do anything to a cats eyes without a vet taking a look
first. You will feel horrible if you end up causing blindness. I
googled boric acid and cats eyes because the whole idea of it
horrified me, but to my surprise many results came back with people
using it to de-stain persian show cats eyes when at a show. This
tells me it does nothing at all for any infection, but is cosmetic
only. I seriously doubt it's going to help Rudy's problem. I
wouldn't use anything other than warm water on clean cotton balls
or better yet, sterile gauze. If it is chronic, it's likely
something viral like the feline herpes virus. That is easily taken
care of by mixing some l-lysine in the food, but again, I'd rather
a vet verify that it is viral and not an injury. Good luck, and
again, you will feel really horrible if you end up causing
blindness because of the home treatment. Especially if it's
something that can be cleared up medically rather than doing
something that helps nothing and can make things worse if left
untreated.

--
Cheryl

Old August 28th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

You didn't say how often the brown gook accumulates in the corner of the
eye. If it's just once a day you have to remove the stuff then I'd just use
a warm damp washcloth or other soft cloth to remove it and not worry too
much about it. If the eye or eyes start weeping or there is any puss or
sneezing then it's time to consult the vet as no home remedies will do much
for that other then adding Lysine to their food as was already mentioned.
The lysine is only effective in controlling a herpes viral infection however
and won't do skippy if the problem is bacterial.

I understand your changed financial circumstances as a result of losing your
husband. Mine passed away in April. However, when you ask for an opinion in
a newsgroup where none of us can see the cat the advice will always include
a vet visit.

Wendy

oups.com...

Old August 28th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Aug 27, 8:48 pm, "Wendy" wrote:
You didn't say how often the brown gook accumulates in the corner of the
eye. If it's just once a day you have to remove the stuff then I'd just use
a warm damp washcloth or other soft cloth to remove it and not worry too
much about it. If the eye or eyes start weeping or there is any puss or
sneezing then it's time to consult the vet as no home remedies will do much
for that other then adding Lysine to their food as was already mentioned.
The lysine is only effective in controlling a herpes viral infection however
and won't do skippy if the problem is bacterial.

Wendy is right on here. Cats, like people, have minor daily discharge
from their eyes. If it's just a small amount every day or two, I just
use a soft Kleenex to remove it. You'll notice other symptoms if it's
bacterial: squinting, pus, weepy eyes, sneezing, possibly acting
lethargic. Wendy's right--a vet trip would be in order if this is the
case. I'm sorrry about your money/late husband situation. If you need
to see a vet, try calling your local humane society. Many offer low-
cost basic services.