Is your pet in your will?

Old September 9th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
James

Default Is your pet in your will?

Even if you don't have $5 million?

Old September 9th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
MaryL

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
Even if you don't have $5 million?

I made *provisions* for my cats in my will (which is different than leaving
money directly to them). I made arrangements for a friend to take care of
my furbabies if anything were to happen to me -- a friend I can trust to
take good care of them, keep them as indoor cats, and never declaw. I left
a bequest for her. If she is unable to take them, I made provisions for a
"secondary" arrangement. The provision is for current pets or any that I
may have in the future.

But: definitely NOT $5 million!! Holly and Duffy will have to be content
with a "normal" lifestyle. (More seriously, I responded because I think
this is something important that all of us should consider. It was really
like a burden had been lifted once I knew that arrangements were made for
their care. I hope to live for many more years, but none of us can know
what the future holds.)

MaryL

Old September 9th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Cathy

Yes, the bunnies are named in the will. We name who will become guardians
of the bunnies, and a dollar amount is bequeathed to the person that would
take care of the bunnies.

Cathy

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
Even if you don't have $5 million?

Old September 9th 07, 10:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Cathy

..

"Matthew" wrote in message

I also said that people need to carry an alert card that say you have animal
at your home that will require care if you are in an accident or
hospitalized. It contains my vet information and emergency information like
you have on an medical alert card.

That is an excellent idea - Cathy

Old September 9th 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
MaryL

"Cathy" wrote in message
.

"Matthew" wrote in message

I also said that people need to carry an alert card that say you have
animal
at your home that will require care if you are in an accident or
hospitalized. It contains my vet information and emergency information
like
you have on an medical alert card.

That is an excellent idea - Cathy

Good idea! I do the same thing, and (as long as we are talking about
protection) I also have a decal at my front door that tells people who may
need to gain emergency access that I have two cats. It has a picture of
both cats and warns that Duffy is blind. It is intended primarily in the
event of fire, but it's possible there could be other occasions when it
might be needed.

MaryL