protrusion of third eyelid

Old September 24th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Johnna via CatKB.com

Default protrusion of third eyelid

Hi All,
I'm looking for some input on a problem I'm having with my cat. Yesterday I
noticed my cat's eyes looked a little funny - the third eyelid on both eyes
was visible. Since it was the weekend I couldn't see my regular vet so I took
him to the emergency clinic and the vet there said that he had a condition
called protrusion of the third eyelid. He said that the cause is unknown but
it is believed to be related to upper respiratory virus or intestinal
parasites. He cat is indoors and I find it hard to believe that he could have
worms. Also, other than his eyes being a little teary a couple of days ago I
see no other signs of an upper respiratory infection. His temp was also
normal when he went to the vet. He's may be slightly lethargic but nothing
really noticable. I'm making an appointment with his regular vet in the
morning bu I'm looking for a little reassurance that this is not something
terrible. I've done a little reading and some sites seem to imply it is not
serious others go more in depth about serious conditions that can cause this.
Has anyone seen this before? Any info or personal experiences would be
welcome. Thanks!
Johnna

^..^

Old September 24th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
johnnaoleary via CatKB.com

Thanks for your reply Matthew. He does not have fleas - he's treated
regularly with advantage and I even did a check to see if a stray flea made
its way onto him. I can't see any signs of fleas, or worms. The vet examined
his hind end and saw no evidence of worms but treated him with drontal to be
safe. I have two other cats and neither of them is having the third eyelid
problem so I'm thinking a virus or anything communicable is unlikely. I did
recently take in a stray (about a month ago) but she was spayed, vaccinated,
defleaed and dewormed before I brought her in. She was tested for everything
possible before she came in the house as well and all tests were negative. I
guess it is always possible that she could have been carrying a virus or
something but she's showing no signs of any trouble.

As far as the lethargy goes, nothing specific. He's eating, playing and
cuddling as usual but I've noticed that he's sleeping a little more often
than usual.

Again thanks for your reply, Matthew. I will definately speak to my regular
vet tomorrow.

Matthew wrote:
Does he have fleas if so yes he can get worms. You can bring fleas in.
My spirit has not been outside since he was a kitten he got a worms

Third eyelid is usually the sign of trouble. Regular Vet in the morning a
must.

Lethargic in what way

It could be a mild eye infection causing it.

Hi All,
I'm looking for some input on a problem I'm having with my cat. Yesterday

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]

^..^

Old September 24th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tigerteacher

Hello Johnna,
This is my first post to this group, although I am a long time lurker
and have found much great and helpful advice here for my kitties over
the past year or so!

My cat Bob (an absolutely gorgeous, handsome and sweet orange Manx
tabby) had a similar problem. We came home from work one night last
fall and his
third eyelid was nearly covering one of his eyes. He was taken to our
vet who was able to see a tumor inside of his sinus by looking in his
ear. The tumor was putting pressure on a nerve that runs across the
side of the face and it turns out that he had some facial paralysis that
accompanied the eyelid condition on that side. We took him to an
emergency vet hospital that offers more kinds of
care. They had us get him an MRI and the growth turned out to be in a
location where it was operable and they performed surgery. Biopsies of
the growth also found that it was benign. Unfortunately, Bob's
condition just declined in the weeks after the surgery. He became
lethargic and
mostly just slept. He began to hold his head cocked at an angle and
another growth appeared on his neck that grew very quickly over a few
weeks from the size of a pea to the size walnut. He
was obviously in pain and had stopped doing all of the things he usually
enjoyed. It has been
nearly one year since we took him to be euthanized to end his suffering.
It was a terrible decision to have to make but I feel certain that it
was the right decision not to put him through any further treatments or
diagnostics. We miss him every single day.

Early symptoms-wise, there were a few signs that we were able to see
only in retrospect. One was a bout of what we thought was allergies or
a sinus infection about 3 months prior to this incident - he was just
sneezing a lot. He was treated with antibiotics and prednisone and it
had resolved quickly. In retrospect, it might have been the start of his
tumor but it was too small to be seen by our vet. Also, over the weeks
preceding his illness, he had been slightly less adventurous with his
jumping (i.e. had not been jumping to his usually favored high perches
around the house and had in fact also lost his balance while jumping
down from a window ledge that he usually negotiated without difficulty.)
Also, only noticeable in retrospect, he had been even more
affectionate than usual for a day or two before this condition became
noticeable. I remember the night before his eyelid dropped, he had
spent the whole night sleeping nestled in my neck.

I'm sorry that I'm writing back with such a sad story and I hope that it
turns out to have no relation to what's going on with your boy. I don't
have real advice to offer since it sounds like you are very devoted to
him and you are on top of the situation. He is very luck to have you
looking out for him.
Old September 24th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
johnnaoleary via CatKB.com

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Tigerteacher. So sorry to hear about Bob
I'm really hoing that Noel's condition is not that serious. The trouble is
with both eyes and there are no other symptoms so I think that is a good sign.
I'm taking him to see his regular vet (although I can't get an appointment
iuntil later in the week) and I'm hoping he'll agree with the opinion of the
other vet. I'll post an update as soon as one is available for anyone who is
interested in the turnout. Thanks again for sharing. ^..^ Johnna