Cat Scratch Fever (not the song)

Old September 30th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dabanana1 via CatKB.com

Default Cat Scratch Fever (not the song)

Does anyone know anything about cat scratch fever?? My older brother just got
back from the ER and was told that he has it. Apparently last Sunday he was
horse playing with Lucky and got bit and scratched by him. Throughout the
week a cut on his arm by his wrist started to worsen and become very red
almost around the circumference of his arm, he was also in a lot of pain,
finally he went to the ER today and was told that the cat gave him cat
scratch fever. I didn't even realize that this really existed until tonight
so I know nothing about it. Should I be worried at all and is there anything
I can do? Any advice will be helpful since I am completely oblivious. Has
anyone ever had to deal with this before?

Old September 30th 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "dabanana1 via CatKB.com" u37199@uwe:

Does anyone know anything about cat scratch fever?? My older
brother just got back from the ER and was told that he has it.
Apparently last Sunday he was horse playing with Lucky and got bit
and scratched by him. Throughout the week a cut on his arm by his
wrist started to worsen and become very red almost around the
circumference of his arm, he was also in a lot of pain, finally he
went to the ER today and was told that the cat gave him cat
scratch fever. I didn't even realize that this really existed
until tonight so I know nothing about it. Should I be worried at
all and is there anything I can do? Any advice will be helpful
since I am completely oblivious. Has anyone ever had to deal with
this before?

This is so funny, my spouse was just talking about this the other day
wondering if it existed. Of course I told them, "Yes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_scratch_fever

As far as I know it is no big deal. Hell, I think I have it right
now.

The only problem is it can turn into different things in different
people. From swelling and possible infection to full blown see
Wikipedia article for list. So your brother could be one of those
people that it fades out after a couple of weeks and good antibiotics
or if there is something we do not know about him (HIV, diabetes,
anything else that causes immunity deficiencies) it could result in
serious problems.

And um... for the record... what did the ER doctor say? Surely your
brother received antibiotics and a "calm down with Lucky" talk. How
old is Lucky by the way?

Hope that helps some...

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 30th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dabanana1 via CatKB.com

My brother had a pace maker put in about 7 months ago, so they stressed that
he did the right thing by going to the ER because it could have caused more
serious problems if it had somehow gotten to his heart or something like that.
So it was good that he went. He was put on an IV with for antibiotics for a
few hours then released. He is doing well, the infection was still there when
he left but should be getting better soon. Lucky was a stray that I saved and
the vet said he was about 2 months then, so if that is the case he is
probably about 1 year and 3 months. My roommate and I did a good cleaning on
him today. We trimmed his nails, gave him a haircut and bath, brushed him out.
Not sure if that will do anything, but it is worth a shot.

I was doing some online research and found that researchers think that it may
be carried through fleas, but crazy enough Lucky doesn't have any fleas. It
said that it is transferred through the saliva of the cat, and gets to
humans through open sores ( Biting will do it). Like you said people with
lower immune systems are the likely ones to actually contract it, but anyone
can get it. I don't fear that my roommate or I will get it but we are taking
precautions anyway. They say to constantly wash your
hands after playing cause sometimes they will lick themselves and you may
touch them and get it in your eye or touch an open wound. This is what I know
so far.

I would love to hear if anyone else has had this. I am beginning to feel like
my family is prone to the most unusual diseases and illnesses.

Dabanana1

By the way here is some pics of Lucky.

IMG SRC="
http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1562/9805113/17754143/280933663.jpg"
border="0" alt="Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com"

IMG SRC="
http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1562/9805113/17754143/280933680.jpg"

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1562/9805113/17754143/280933666.jpg"

-Lost wrote:
Response from "dabanana1 via CatKB.com" u37199@uwe:

Does anyone know anything about cat scratch fever?? My older
brother just got back from the ER and was told that he has it.

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

Old September 30th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"dabanana1 via CatKB.com" u37199@uwe wrote in message
Does anyone know anything about cat scratch fever?? My older brother just
got
back from the ER and was told that he has it. Apparently last Sunday he
was
horse playing with Lucky and got bit and scratched by him. Throughout the
week a cut on his arm by his wrist started to worsen and become very red
almost around the circumference of his arm, he was also in a lot of pain,
finally he went to the ER today and was told that the cat gave him cat
scratch fever. I didn't even realize that this really existed until
tonight
so I know nothing about it. Should I be worried at all and is there
anything
I can do? Any advice will be helpful since I am completely oblivious. Has
anyone ever had to deal with this before?

--

I think cat scratch fever is usually fairly mild and self-limiting, but I
would still want to check with my own doctor. Was your brother given

I do have a friend who had an unusually severe case of cat scratch fever. He
eventually had to have some lymph nodes removed. Despite that, he made a
complete recovery (and he *loves* their cat -- he never blamed the cat,
which shows what a good person he is).

MaryL

Old October 1st 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Grace

Hi,

Our cat currently has Bartonella which causes Cat Scratch Fever.
Because I have a compromised immune system from immunosuppressive
drugs and chemo, I was advised to be extremely careful around her.
For a healthy individual, it is usually self limiting.

Grace

Old October 1st 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "dabanana1 via CatKB.com" u37199@uwe:

I was doing some online research and found that researchers think
that it may be carried through fleas, but crazy enough Lucky
doesn't have any fleas. It said that it is transferred through
the saliva of the cat, and gets to humans through open sores (
Biting will do it). Like you said people with lower immune systems
are the likely ones to actually contract it, but anyone can get
it. I don't fear that my roommate or I will get it but we are
taking precautions anyway. They say to constantly wash your
hands after playing cause sometimes they will lick themselves and
you may touch them and get it in your eye or touch an open wound.
This is what I know so far.

Really? The only thing I have ever heard was that it was primarily in
kittens and that it was primarily in their bathroom areas. Hence why
you can easily contract it from a scratch. I have never heard getting
it from a bite per se, but who knows.

And the only three references I have are the Wikipedia article, my
country brethren, and a male nurse that my spouse asked about whether
or not it was real.

By the way here is some pics of Lucky.

IMG SRC="
http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL156...3/280933663.jp
g" border="0" alt="Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com"

Ack! Um... your cat has no face.

IMG SRC="
http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL156...3/280933680.jp
g" border="0" alt="Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com"

I am seriously freaking out. First no face, now no eyes.

IMG SRC="
http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL156...3/280933666.jp
g" border="0" alt="Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com"

And he plays video games to boot?! That cat is demon spawn!

Oh by the way, Lucky is BEAUTIFUL. The first picture seriously did
freak me out though. Especially on this crappy laptop LCD screen.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 1st 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 1 Oct, 02:06, Grace wrote:
Hi,

Our cat currently has Bartonella which causes Cat Scratch Fever.
Because I have a compromised immune system from immunosuppressive
drugs and chemo, I was advised to be extremely careful around her.
For a healthy individual, it is usually self limiting.

Grace

One more new thing learnt today.
Thank you! )
Sheelagh "o"

Old October 1st 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I know little about Cat Scratch Fever but know that cat bites alone
can be *very* dangerous. Cats naturally have around 100 types of
bacteria in their mouth at any one time and with their canine teeth
and bite deeply into the skin. ALWAYS wash thoroughly if a cat bites
you and keep a close eye on it. If the bite gets swollen, red and
puffy, or otherwise doesn't get better in a day or two, go to the ER
immediately!

Old October 4th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

I must have had it several times if that were the case. With my cats I've
been bitten, scratched, etc and it hurt for a bit but I usually never went
to the hospital. If I get bitten or scratched I usually wash the area of the
scratch or bite with anti-bacterial soap. My cats don't usually bite or
scratch too deep though.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com