Didn't work for me.

Old October 2nd 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

Default Didn't work for me.

Over a year ago I got furry pets for the first time in my life partly
because I heard it some times helps lower blood pressure. Even though
I sleep with my cat and spend a lot of time with rabbits my pressure
did not get lower.

Anyone have better results?

Old October 2nd 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

In article .com,
James wrote:

Over a year ago I got furry pets for the first time in my life partly
because I heard it some times helps lower blood pressure. Even though
I sleep with my cat and spend a lot of time with rabbits my pressure
did not get lower.

Anyone have better results?

A lot of what passes for health "news" is minor notability, elevated to
fad status. There certainly are studies reliably demonstrating that pets
do temporarily reduce *stress-related* increases in blood pressure, but
pets are no match for the physical stress people put on their own hearts
and circulatory systems. A cat can't clear the cholesterol from clogged
arteries. No dog will repair the damage and scarring caused by repeated
inhalation of toxic smoke. A fish tank or bird can't ameliorate the
effects of genetic inheritance.

What a good pet really can do is what pets in general are terrific at:
making life worth living, giving temporary relief from BP stress spikes
and imbuing their owners with a lot of good reasons to take care of
their bodies. Anyone with a pet knew this already. The studies just
confirmed their suspicions and gave lazy journalists gee-whiz,
holistically-fluffy, space-filling stories to write.
Old October 2nd 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:49:52 -0700, James
wrote:

Over a year ago I got furry pets for the first time in my life partly
because I heard it some times helps lower blood pressure. Even though
I sleep with my cat and spend a lot of time with rabbits my pressure
did not get lower.

Anyone have better results?

It lowers it at times and may give you a better average. BUt it won't
lower it all the time.

I get nervous at the doctor's office, so I always get a lecture on
high blood pressure since it is on the line for high. This year, when
they took my blood pressure, I pictured Jay Jay's cute fluffy face.
The nurse told me my blood pressure was really good and moved on to
the next thing.

Worked quite well for me

Old October 2nd 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote
What a good pet really can do is what pets in general are terrific at:
making life worth living, giving temporary relief from BP stress spikes
and imbuing their owners with a lot of good reasons to take care of
their bodies. Anyone with a pet knew this already.

The thing is, I think you have to love them. I don't think you can just
pick one up with the same feeling you have for your bp pills.

Old October 2nd 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"James" wrote in message
oups.com...
Over a year ago I got furry pets for the first time in my life partly
because I heard it some times helps lower blood pressure. Even though
I sleep with my cat and spend a lot of time with rabbits my pressure
did not get lower.

Anyone have better results?

If you read my posts about Archer you'll see that my cats are *giving* me
high blood pressure! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 4th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 23:04:11 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:

Lifestyle changes
a.. Don't smoke cigarettes or use any tobacco product.
b.. Lose weight if you're overweight.
c.. Exercise regularly.
d.. Eat a healthy diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables and is
low in fat.
e.. Limit your sodium, alcohol and caffeine intake.

Park in the Outer Mongolia of the parking lot. All you need is an extra
4,000 to 5,000 steps a day and you could lower your blood pressure 11
points! At least, that's what researchers from the University of Tennessee
found when they tracked postmenopausal women.

Lots of good advice, but hey, 4,000 to 5,000 steps? Figuring only two
feet per step, that's closing in on two miles. Big parking lot!

I don't need to worry about that. I commute by bike for the most part,
around 30 miles per day. I just need to worry about getting run over
by a taxi.

OT - Work [email protected] Cat anecdotes 16 August 3rd 06 11:05 PM
Didn't work. :o( Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 17 May 19th 05 03:51 AM
Work Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 2 January 29th 05 03:25 PM
will this work? minerva nine Cat rescue 3 September 11th 03 04:57 AM