How to treat a cat when she throws up?

Old October 4th 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Default How to treat a cat when she throws up?

I know it is not the most refined question you are likely to face
today, but I would like to ask the more experienced crowd he

How do you treat a cat when she throws up?

It has got to be uncomfortable and disagreeable moment for them. The
cat I feed tries to run away from the spot when this happens, and
should she throw up again, run away from that spot as well.

My puzzle is, what action on my part, even if it is inaction, would
make her most comfortable and accepted?

Should I leave her alone? Open the door and let her out? Pet her?
Ignore her and just clean up the mess?

As she has just lost food, should I try to feed her again a little
later? Or conclude her body doesn't want food now, so let it go?
Old October 4th 07, 07:22 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:07:05 -0500, RPSinha wrote:

I know it is not the most refined question you are likely to face
today, but I would like to ask the more experienced crowd he

How do you treat a cat when she throws up?

It has got to be uncomfortable and disagreeable moment for them. The
cat I feed tries to run away from the spot when this happens, and
should she throw up again, run away from that spot as well.

My puzzle is, what action on my part, even if it is inaction, would
make her most comfortable and accepted?

Should I leave her alone? Open the door and let her out? Pet her?
Ignore her and just clean up the mess?

As she has just lost food, should I try to feed her again a little
later? Or conclude her body doesn't want food now, so let it go?

Just clean up the mess. Unfamiliar food will make m cat upchuck and
she will do it in multiplaces. Perhaps some hairball remedy would help
her as well as daily brushing. I don't disturb her when she is
upchucking.

Old October 4th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

I know it is not the most refined question you are likely to face
today, but I would like to ask the more experienced crowd he

How do you treat a cat when she throws up?

It has got to be uncomfortable and disagreeable moment for them. The
cat I feed tries to run away from the spot when this happens, and
should she throw up again, run away from that spot as well.

My puzzle is, what action on my part, even if it is inaction, would
make her most comfortable and accepted?

Should I leave her alone? Open the door and let her out? Pet her?
Ignore her and just clean up the mess?

As she has just lost food, should I try to feed her again a little
later? Or conclude her body doesn't want food now, so let it go?

Well the answer depends on several things.

"You say the cat you feed." Is it your cat or someone's cat you are
caring for?? If it is someone elses cat inform whoever it belongs to.

If it is your cat have you changed foods lately?? If so go back to
the old food and see if it still happens. Does it do it often and if
so when?? How old is the cat??

I myself would take it to be checked out my a vet to make sure there
is no digestive track problems.

Old October 5th 07, 05:43 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Oct 4, 1:07 pm, RPSinha wrote:
I know it is not the most refined question you are likely to face
today, but I would like to ask the more experienced crowd he

How do you treat a cat when she throws up?

As she has just lost food, should I try to feed her again a little
later? Or conclude her body doesn't want food now, so let it go?

Sometimes they throw up because of hairballs blocking
their digestive tract...
you'll know this if you see hair in the upchuck.
Other times they throw up because they're allergic to the
food your feeding them.
You'll know this by what brand you feed them and
watching to see if they throw up afterwards.

You just have to let nature take it's course when they
start throwing up...but better food and grooming can help
prevent the problem.
I don't let Big Mama eat right afterwards and let
her stomach calm down some.
She gets her food back after a couple hours, but I
leave the water for her, and her oatgrass.

Old October 5th 07, 02:40 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from studio :

I don't let Big Mama eat right afterwards and let
her stomach calm down some.
She gets her food back after a couple hours, but I
leave the water for her, and her oatgrass.

Oat grass... do you find the use of oat grass beneficial?

I have been weighing options on whether or not to provide more
nutritional roughage or jump straight to a hairball remedy.

Thanks.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 5th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I provide oat grass and I seldom see hairballs (occasional "grass
balls"). I have seen Tiger throw up in the middle of a meal and start
to eat what he threw up. I stop him of course.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 5th 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Oct 5, 9:40 am, "-Lost" wrote:
Oat grass... do you find the use of oat grass beneficial?

Absolutely. I'm completely sold on it as being beneficial in
many different ways.

I have been weighing options on whether or not to provide more
nutritional roughage or jump straight to a hairball remedy.

If kitty has hairballs, I could be wrong, but I don't think roughage
will make a difference.

If it's just a mild, occassional hairball problem;
hairball formula dry food seem to work pretty well.

Old October 6th 07, 12:13 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from studio :

On Oct 5, 9:40 am, "-Lost" wrote:
Oat grass... do you find the use of oat grass beneficial?

Absolutely. I'm completely sold on it as being beneficial in
many different ways.

Oh, if not for hairballs then how is it beneficial?

I have been weighing options on whether or not to provide more
nutritional roughage or jump straight to a hairball remedy.

If kitty has hairballs, I could be wrong, but I don't think
roughage will make a difference.

If it's just a mild, occassional hairball problem;
hairball formula dry food seem to work pretty well.

Nah, not yet. I was just hoping for a preemptive strike.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 6th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from (---MIKE---):

I provide oat grass and I seldom see hairballs (occasional "grass
balls"). I have seen Tiger throw up in the middle of a meal and
start to eat what he threw up. I stop him of course.

Cool. Where do you get yours from offhand?

The only place I found is online at:

http://www.oatgrass.net/oat-greens-for-cats.php

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 6th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

-lost asked (regarding oat grass):

Cool. Where do you get yours from
offhand?

I get mine at a store that sells feed. I paid $10 for a 50 pound bag
(the smallest they sell). The seeds will go bad long before I use them
up. You can also order them from one of the cat stores such as CAT
CLAWS or DR. FOSTER & SMITH but it is quite expensive to buy the seeds
from them. I use lawn soil in a flower pot and put a thin layer of
Miracle Grow over the seeds. I spray water on them twice a day. I
plant a batch twice a week so I always have some in various stages of
growth.