Can a vet give a second opinion on my cat's liver issues?

Old October 5th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joshua McGee

Default Can a vet give a second opinion on my cat's liver issues?

Hi,

My cat has lost half her body weight. We thought she wasn't
tolerating her food any longer, and tried making changes at home for
too long before we went to the vet. She has undergone personality
changes, is lethargic and vomiting, and is dehydrated. I have a pdf
fax of her blood results, which unfortunately were sent to me upside-
down, but if someone could take a look and tell me what their training
suggests, I would appreciate it.

The file is at http://www.mcgees.org/mika.pdf

Thanks so much,

Joshua McGee

Old October 5th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joshua McGee

He has suggested that there is either a stone in the bile duct or a
tumor. He has recommended ultrasound and/or exploratory surgery. He
also prescribed a course of Amoxicilliin in case it's a bacterial
infection.

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

On Oct 5, 1:51 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Unfortunately there are no vets in the group several techs which will pipe
in I hope.

What did your vet tell you Joshua? And what treatment has the vet begun or
suggested?

Old October 5th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joshua McGee

Thank you, I'm getting a second opinion this afternoon.

The vet gave subcutaneous fluids for the dehydration.

The symptoms predate the antibiotic.

Thanks for your help,

Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

On Oct 5, 2:19 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Ok Joshua just like a human doctor when a vet recommends surgery get a
second opinion unless you trust that vet completely.

What is the vet doing about the dehydration.

The ultrasound is a better choice for the moment.

Are you giving the antibiotic right now and these symptoms just started or
did the symptoms lethargic,vomiting, dehydrated, personality changes

If the symptoms just started CALL YOUR VET the furball might be having a
reaction to he antibiotic

Old October 6th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 22:08:30 -0000, Joshua McGee
wrote:

Thank you, I'm getting a second opinion this afternoon.

The vet gave subcutaneous fluids for the dehydration.

The symptoms predate the antibiotic.

Were the fluids enough? Many vets won't suggest it since many people
won't do it, but you can give fluids at home. They will show you how
to do it at the office and sell you a fluid pack with needles. Then
you can do it once or twice a day as prescribed at home.

I would also second the recommendation for a second vet. They may have
different experience, equipment, etc. So, you might be able to get
some different ideas of what to do.

Old October 6th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 6 Oct, 08:27, "Matthew" wrote:
Good Luck let us know if we can help anymore

ps.com...

On Oct 5, 2:19 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
Ok Joshua just like a human doctor when a vet recommends surgery get a
second opinion unless you trust that vet completely.

What is the vet doing about the dehydration.

The ultrasound is a better choice for the moment.

Are you giving the antibiotic right now and these symptoms just started
or
did the symptoms lethargic,vomiting, dehydrated, personality changes

If the symptoms just started CALL YOUR VET the furball might be having
reaction to he antibiotic- Hide quoted text -

If we ping Bonnie, she might be able to help out here?
Sheelagh "o"

Old October 12th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joshua McGee

wrote:

Thank you, I'm getting a second opinion this afternoon.

The vet gave subcutaneous fluids for the dehydration.

The symptoms predate the antibiotic.

Were the fluids enough? Many vets won't suggest it since many people
won't do it, but you can give fluids at home. They will show you how
to do it at the office and sell you a fluid pack with needles. Then
you can do it once or twice a day as prescribed at home.

I would also second the recommendation for a second vet. They may have
different experience, equipment, etc. So, you might be able to get
some different ideas of what to do.

Thank you. I got a second, then a third opinion. The third vet
anesthetized her to do a biopsy, and she never regained
consciousness. She died in her incubator at 5:30 local time this
morning.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Mika, you will be missed.

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

Old October 13th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joshua McGee

On Oct 12, 5:25 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
I am so sorry Joshua

Mika, you will be missed.

Thanks. I'm pretty torn up. Her housemate went under the knife at
the same time, but he's doing much better, and we hope to have him
home on Sunday. He has a g-tube and we'll be nursing him for a while.

- Joshua
http://www.mcgees.org

Old October 13th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Joshua McGee" wrote

Thanks. I'm pretty torn up.

She was really beautiful, and too young. My heart aches for you. I bundled
up my own almost-eight-year-old and annoyed her by loving all over her after
I read about Mika.

Old October 14th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Joshua McGee wrote:
On Oct 12, 5:25 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
I am so sorry Joshua

Mika, you will be missed.

Thanks. I'm pretty torn up. Her housemate went under the knife at
the same time, but he's doing much better, and we hope to have him
home on Sunday. He has a g-tube and we'll be nursing him for a while.

- Joshua
http://www.mcgees.org

Bummer. She must have been more more sick than you knew. Take care
of yourselves!

-L.

Old October 15th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley via CatKB.com

Joshua McGee wrote:

Thank you. I got a second, then a third opinion. The third vet
anesthetized her to do a biopsy, and she never regained
consciousness. She died in her incubator at 5:30 local time this
morning.

Purrs for your loss

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs