Espy has a staph infection!

Old October 12th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Espy has a staph infection!

The lab report is in.

Well, that explains why he has been licking part of his fur off. He's
been on antibiotics and a steroid since Monday and has gotten better I
think. Of course, he's been ripping off MY skin when I try to get that
stuff into his mouth. Then he glares at me. But I give him some of his
favorite treat (Temptations - kitty krack) and all is forgiven. Only 6
more days to go and I can start healing.
Old October 12th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote in message
The lab report is in.

Think he got that in the house?

Old October 12th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Oct 12, 12:49 pm, dgk wrote:
The lab report is in.

Well, that explains why he has been licking part of his fur off. He's
been on antibiotics and a steroid since Monday and has gotten better I
think. Of course, he's been ripping off MY skin when I try to get that
stuff into his mouth. Then he glares at me. But I give him some of his
favorite treat (Temptations - kitty krack) and all is forgiven. Only 6
more days to go and I can start healing.

Glad you got an answer! Have you tried using Pill Pockets? www.pillpockets.com
They are wonderful for pilling cats.

Old October 15th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:42:17 -0700, "Rene S."
wrote:

On Oct 12, 12:49 pm, dgk wrote:
The lab report is in.

Well, that explains why he has been licking part of his fur off. He's
been on antibiotics and a steroid since Monday and has gotten better I
think. Of course, he's been ripping off MY skin when I try to get that
stuff into his mouth. Then he glares at me. But I give him some of his
favorite treat (Temptations - kitty krack) and all is forgiven. Only 6
more days to go and I can start healing.

Glad you got an answer! Have you tried using Pill Pockets? www.pillpockets.com
They are wonderful for pilling cats.

They really are great and by a wild coincidence I just got a free
packet at the Cat Show (at MSG). However, the antibiotic is liquid and
the vet put the steroid in the antibiotic. So I just have to squirt it
in his mouth. Still, he isn't a good patient.
Old October 15th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:45:30 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
The lab report is in.

Think he got that in the house?

I don't know. He (and Nipsy and Marlo) do go out into the backyard,
but Staph Aureus isn't a very rare bacteria. It's easily treated
unless you get the resistant one, which is known as the flesh eating
bacteria.

He probably got it via a bite from one of the other cats.
Old October 15th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:45:30 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
. ..
The lab report is in.

Think he got that in the house?

I don't know. He (and Nipsy and Marlo) do go out into the backyard,
but Staph Aureus isn't a very rare bacteria. It's easily treated
unless you get the resistant one, which is known as the flesh eating
bacteria.

He probably got it via a bite from one of the other cats.

Well, once humans get staph it can be hard to get rid of. A
relative of mine got it young and it has never really left her
system, it just abates and re-emerges.

Old October 16th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:06:16 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
The lab report is in.

Think he got that in the house?

I don't know. He (and Nipsy and Marlo) do go out into the backyard,
but Staph Aureus isn't a very rare bacteria. It's easily treated
unless you get the resistant one, which is known as the flesh eating
bacteria.

He probably got it via a bite from one of the other cats.

Well, once humans get staph it can be hard to get rid of. A
relative of mine got it young and it has never really left her
system, it just abates and re-emerges.

I've never heard of that type of thing; that sounds more like a virus
which can hide in the body for years, like shingles. I actually know
something about this because I was a lab technologist in Bacteriology
before switching fields many years ago.

Staph Aureus is fairly common and only causes infection through a
break in the skin or somehow getting where it shouldn't be. Of course,
if it gets into the bloodstream or heart it can be deadly, but that
really only happens in folks who are otherwise immuno-challenged.

Still, all in all, you'd rather not have it in you. On you is ok.
Old October 16th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:06:16 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
The lab report is in.

Think he got that in the house?

I don't know. He (and Nipsy and Marlo) do go out into the backyard,
but Staph Aureus isn't a very rare bacteria. It's easily treated
unless you get the resistant one, which is known as the flesh eating
bacteria.

He probably got it via a bite from one of the other cats.

Well, once humans get staph it can be hard to get rid of. A
relative of mine got it young and it has never really left her
system, it just abates and re-emerges.

Oh wow, and just in time comes this newsarticle. Apparently staph is
making the rounds of locker rooms:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21272665/
Old October 17th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote
Oh wow, and just in time comes this newsarticle. Apparently staph is
making the rounds of locker rooms:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21272665/

When my sister had this (and I think she still does) it was in the
1970s, and it must have been a resistant variety of Staphlococcus.
It actually did act like a virus, being held at bay but re-emerging.

I have a friend who picked up some sort of bacterial thing--she and
her husband both--while caring for his mother in the hospital as she
lay dying. It will not go away, despite the best care at Duke. It just
travels around, causing stomach problems, then ear infections, etc.

Scary stuff.

Old October 17th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:37:34 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:

This was in the news I thought it might be something you would be interested
in reading

http://www.local6.com/health/1435586... 0172007&ts=H

Very nice. Yet another reason to stay out of the gym. I knew those
places were unhealthy.