Gabby is a funny name for a boy.

Old October 14th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Gabby is a funny name for a boy.

1 month and 1 day ago the cutest, sharpest, most gorgeous all-around
kitten came into my home and after a bit of reluctance I inducted HER
into my home.

After throwing a few names back and forth and NEVER questioning my
spouse at all over the sex of the cat. Especially after I watched
them lift Gabby overhead and thoroughly give the cat a peek, we
decided on GABBY.

Well, I was reading over a response someone gave to one of my threads
and witnessed them refer to Gabby as a HE despite Gabby being an
obviously feminine name.

Then that itch at the back of my brain came back... that gentle
nagging that something was not quite right. So, before I forgot it I
leaped to my feet, grabbed Gabby up and did some thorough inspection.

All this time the dark patches that I mistook for her vagina turned
out to be a scrotum and opening to the urethra. You can see in the
picture I provided that the large dark spot is the scrotum and the
smaller one is the tip.

(ADULT)
Thumb:
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6...clespu7.th.jpg

(ADULT)
Enlarged:
http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sticlessm7.jpg

In fairness to the "I'm never wrong" spouse, Gabby's testes are SO
small that I had to actually flip Gabby over and feel. And sure
enough, unless Gabby has a marsupial pouch with two TINY smaller than
a pea-sized marbles in her pouch... Gabby is a dude.

I'll wait a moment for you to stop laughing...

Done? OK. So here we are a month later, my BOY cat knows his name
of Gabby. For example, "gabby-gabby-gabby" in a high-pitched voice
is "Come get your dinner." And she... er... HE knows it quite well.

What do I do?! Keep calling my boy cat Gabby and let it be a funny
little family secret? Or rename my cat appropriately.

I am thinking Gabby should at the very most be called Mr. Gabby. Or
maybe even GabbyMan. Or something similar...

Opinions? Feel free to let me know how big of a dork you think
either my spouse or I are.

Next time an animal comes into this house I DEFINITELY know to sex it
myself.

Hahaha... see ya'.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 14th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I sort of remember a man called Gabby Hayes.......so I am thinking
Gabby is an ok name!

Old October 14th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"-Lost" wrote in
:

[...]

You never heard of Gabby Hayes?

Old October 14th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"-Lost" wrote in message
[...]

OK, go easy on yourself - sexing a kitten is pretty hard, even vets get it
wrong sometimes (the quickie way to judge is the punctuation mark method - a
girl cat has a semi-colon, ; and a boy cat has a colon :.

And in my other post I suggested "Gabriel" for a name calling him "Gabe" for
short - and believe it or not there are Gabriels out there whose nickname is
Gabby, so I think you're OK. ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Old October 14th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I sort of remember a man called Gabby Hayes.......so I am thinking
Gabby is an ok name!

Yes, Gabby Hayes was a "sidekick" in a series of wester movies in the 1940s,
most often with Roy Rogers. Gabby Hayes definitely would not fit the OP's
description of "gorgeous," though.

MaryL

Old October 14th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

On 14 Oct, 06:40, "CatNipped" wrote:

OK, go easy on yourself - sexing a kitten is pretty hard, even vets get it
wrong sometimes

There is reason we sometimes call the girls Dunzi and Sarsi Fella! The
trouble is line drawings in a book aren't much help when it comes to
sexing kittens, especially if you're trying to check a struggling
kitten who plainly wonders why you want to inspect those bits of them
unless you're the sort of Hoomin mum warned us about!

So we weren't sure but did we really want to spend the first day with
them, trying to hold them down and inspect their privates? We checked
they were both the same at the rear end and just assumed they were
boys. Even through we had asked for girls but the woman who had their
mum didn't seem to know much about cats....she'd never had one
before..so there we are slaves for 20 years and someone who'd been a
slave for only a few months got it right and we didn't! Then again
maybe she looked closer!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old October 14th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 06:54:02 -0500, -Lost wrote:

[...]

Long ago, I knew a human man named Gabby. It was short for his last
name " Gabellini". I believe it is a common name in Italy. He was a
handsome man but went to the Bridge in his mid life. IMHO he would have
enjoyed a cat named after him. MLB

Old October 15th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER:

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I sort of remember a man called Gabby Hayes.......so I am thinking
Gabby is an ok name!

Yes, Gabby Hayes was a "sidekick" in a series of wester movies in
the 1940s, most often with Roy Rogers. Gabby Hayes definitely
would not fit the OP's description of "gorgeous," though.

Ah yes, I think I know of him. George Hayes. I didn't know he was
called Gabby. That's great.

We had already discussed other options like CatNipped and cindys
suggestion of Gabriel. After I read all the posts though, we are
fairly sure it's going to stay Gabby.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 15th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from Outsider :

You never heard of Gabby Hayes?

I have now! I knew of that actor I believe, but didn't know he was
called Gabby.

I guess it stays Gabby. : )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 15th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "cindys" :

Gabby could be a nickname for "Gabriel" (who of course is an angel
:-). I just assumed (until now) that you had actually named the
kitten Gabrielle or Gabriella and were calling her "Gabby" as a
nickname. Now that you know Gabby is a boy, if the name really
bothers you, you could call him "Gabe" or "Gabey."
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

I am fairly certain the spouse was shooting for Gabriella, although I
never really asked. They just said "How about Gabby?" And we ran with
it.

After hearing that Gabby isn't so strange a name for a boy, I think
we're going to keep it that way. Of course, I do believe it stands for
Gabriel definitely. : )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Gabby made a critical mistake today... please help... -Lost Cat health & behaviour 33 October 14th 07 06:45 PM
Identify Gabby for me, please? -Lost Cat health & behaviour 15 October 2nd 07 04:25 AM
Gabby girl Mishi Cat anecdotes 16 May 13th 04 11:59 AM
Back to the vets with Gabby! Mishi Cat anecdotes 10 May 10th 04 07:17 PM
Update on Gabby Mishi Cat anecdotes 6 May 7th 04 06:00 PM