Introducing Puppy to Cats (3)

Old October 16th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Irene

Default Introducing Puppy to Cats (3)

I currently have 3 cats and I am thinking about getting a puppy. I
work at a place where I can take my dog to work. Has anyone adopted a
dog with cats? If so, can you give me some tips and let me know how
the conbination worked out?

Thanks!!!
Irene

Old October 16th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Oct 15, 10:18 pm, Irene wrote:
I currently have 3 cats and I am thinking about getting a puppy. I
work at a place where I can take my dog to work. Has anyone adopted a
dog with cats? If so, can you give me some tips and let me know how
the conbination worked out?

Thanks!!!
Irene

I used to have many cats and about 200 pounds of dog at any given
time. Dogs and cats can get along quite well! Just like people, there
are two keys: respect and boundaries.

Have the cats encountered dogs before? If not, their first reaction
will be disbelief, and the second will be to get away from the puppy
as soon as possible. Avoid mayhem from the outset by creating high
places for the cats to escape to: clear bookcases, arrange chairs,
maybe open up some shelves. A cat's first instinct will be to run, and
secondly, to climb. Make sure they have secure places to run to where
the puppy cannot follow. They can go over a puppy gate; the puppy
cannot.

The puppy needs to learn what things to leave alone, and that includes
the cats. They will play, once the cats' curiosity becomes unbearable.
The cats will impose their own discipline if things get too rowdy, so
always be available to step in first. Don't put undue pressure on the
cats to conform; they were there first and the puppy, to their view,
has no manners. And he won't, until you teach him some.

You didn't mention what size a puppy you are thinking of, and this
will obviously have some impact. A big puppy will overwhelm the cats
with his size and energy, and your main task will be protecting the
cats from the puppy. A tiny puppy will be at risk of being regarded as
a toy with hidden batteries; then you will need to step in and remind
the cats that the puppy is a living creature who needs respect.

If you can't supervise, the puppy needs to be placed somewhere to keep
him out of mischief, for everyone's safety. If you can take him to
work, that's a great option; you might not get much work done at
first! Puppies need a lot of playtime so they can take their naps;
Wind Them Up and Wear Them Down will be an important part of his
schedule.

That's the basics: enforce good behavior on both sides, give everyone
a place to retreat to, and let them discover each other according to
their personality and tolerance.

Here's to your expanded family!

Werebear

--
the way of cats
http://wayofcats.blogspot.com

Old October 17th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from Irene :

I currently have 3 cats and I am thinking about getting a puppy. I
work at a place where I can take my dog to work. Has anyone
adopted a dog with cats? If so, can you give me some tips and let
me know how the conbination worked out?

Wow, Werebear had some great things to say! I would like to give
you my point of view though...

Not all cats have the instinct to run. Remember, there are two
options to flight or fight. My scenario is actually the exact
opposite of yours.

We are a large household FULL of a variety of animals, but
primarily 2 dogs were intruded upon by a crazy little kitten.

I cannot even count on all of my fingers and toes how many times
Gabby (the kitten) hissed, arched his back, and swatted at my
puppies (3 year olds) as they merely walked past. He NEVER backed
down to anything they did.

So just to be safe, remember or rather focus on what Werebear said
about paying attention and be there to step in. Your family (the
animals) will need you to referee. And unless you want someone to
get hurt you need to be literally in the middle of the encounters.

So, plenty of time and patience helps. A desire to make things work
is the only thing that has gotten me this far. Even after Gabby has
caused my docile and lovable Pudge (my sweetheart puppy daughter) to
bleed, scratched across the face *3* of my daughters now, made the
spouse and I bleed on more than one occasion, and basically done
his best to cause havoc and destruction while intermingling in
terrorizing my puppies. In that regard I have allowed the puppies
to dole out their own justice now paying careful attention to the
severity of the "attacks." Pudge for example likes to bite Gabby's
ENTIRE face when Gabby goes too far and then walks over to Gabby
only to lick him all over as if to say, "Look pal, I love you and
all, but you need to calm down.", and so far they either go back to
playing or they collapse on top of each other and nap a bit.

Sorry to ramble on so, it has just been one hell of an interesting
ride this past month.

Anyway... what type of job do you have that allows you to have a
puppy? I wanna' work there.

Good luck, Irene.

--
-Lost