Archer's Broken Leg Update

Old October 17th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Archer's Broken Leg Update

We finally got to the vet's last night (it had been storming for the last
couple of days and the vet's office lost power).

They took another x-ray and said the bone was calcifying nicely, but when
they took the tape off the end of his cast the vet saw that his toes were
swollen (he thinks Archer may have grown a bit in the last 3 week and caused
the cast to be too tight). When the vet touched his toes Archer started
licking my hand, the more the vet touched the harder he licked until finally
he just had to take a little nip (no broken skin - just a hurt/anxiety
nip) - then he started purring and shaking (a sure sign of pain). They had
to sedate him, remove the cast, and then put on another cast. The new cast
lets me see his toes (which are red and swollen), but it also allows him to
lick his toes (which might not be a good thing because he won't *stop*
licking them - I'm sure it's because they hurt him). The vet said the new
cast can come off in 2 or 3 weeks and Archer will have to remain in his
kennel for that long. I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old October 17th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote:

I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!

That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.

Old October 17th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!

That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.

Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At least not
in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is that the emergency vet
put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking Archer's regular vet would replace
it on his follow-up visit?). I know that when I broke my wrist they didn't
put the cast on at the hospital, they just put on a splint wrapped in an ace
bandage because they said it would continue to swell over the next day or
so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have the permanent cast put on two
days later.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 17th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!

That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.

Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At least not
in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is that the emergency
vet put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking Archer's regular vet would
replace it on his follow-up visit?). I know that when I broke my wrist
they didn't put the cast on at the hospital, they just put on a splint
wrapped in an ace bandage because they said it would continue to swell
over the next day or so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have the
permanent cast put on two days later.

You know, I don't know why the urge to blame someone is so strong.
I think it's a backass attempt to ease that angst you get when you look
at their innocent little faces and know they are hurting. I just hope he
heals soon.

Old October 17th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

I know! And his licking my hand frantically when the vet was probing at his
toes really made my heart break! To have a little one *licking* you when he
thinks you're helping to hurt him (I was holding him while the vet probed
his toes) - well that made me want to bawl! :

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 17th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote
I know! And his licking my hand frantically when the vet was probing at
his toes really made my heart break! To have a little one *licking* you
when he thinks you're helping to hurt him (I was holding him while the vet
probed his toes) - well that made me want to bawl! :

Yeah, really. They are so innocent. At least when they aren't being
evil. I was so freaked out when Gracie sprained or bruised her
leg on her new window seat, I made the vet give me kitty pain
meds just in case she showed signs of pain again.

I never gave it to her. She was fine. But the flinching and limping
made me take her to the vet, then the emergency pm vet, then
BACK to the vet, where of course she did not exhibit limp or
flinch 1. lol

Old October 17th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote
I know! And his licking my hand frantically when the vet was probing at
his toes really made my heart break! To have a little one *licking* you
when he thinks you're helping to hurt him (I was holding him while the
vet probed his toes) - well that made me want to bawl! :

Yeah, really. They are so innocent. At least when they aren't being
evil. I was so freaked out when Gracie sprained or bruised her
leg on her new window seat, I made the vet give me kitty pain
meds just in case she showed signs of pain again.

I never gave it to her. She was fine. But the flinching and limping
made me take her to the vet, then the emergency pm vet, then
BACK to the vet, where of course she did not exhibit limp or
flinch 1. lol

LOL! Of course.

I'm the same way - we're not on about $600 paid to vets and PetsMart because
Archer is a klutz! ; But I'd rather make sure they're OK than to let a
possible problem get worse.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 17th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote
[...]

"now" - isn't it amazing how making a typo on just one letter can change the
whole meaning of a sentence!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 17th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "CatNipped" :

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

I'm at work worrying about my baby boy!

That's awful. It seems like the vet should have anticipated
this growth, at Archer's age. I hope it heals quickly now.

Well, to be fair, maybe they don't grow a lot at 5.5 months? At
least not in just 3 weeks? Personally what I think happened is
that the emergency vet put the cast on too tight (maybe thinking
Archer's regular vet would replace it on his follow-up visit?).

And don't you just love when someone assumes something when your arse
depends on it or your poor kitty's?

I know that when I broke my wrist they didn't put the cast on at
the hospital, they just put on a splint wrapped in an ace bandage
because they said it would continue to swell over the next day or
so. I had to go to the orthopedist to have the permanent cast put
on two days later.

Exactly. So Archer's leg was casted immediately after the garage
incident? That is most definitely the problem. I forgot (or maybe
didn't know) that Archer was only 6 months old. He didn't grow
enough in 3 weeks to constitute constriction.

And much like cybercat I just hope little Archer gets proper
treatment and heals quickly!

Good luck with Archer. : )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 17th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response from "CatNipped" :

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

DH is home today and I just called - he took the tape off the end of
Archer's cast and said, even though they're still a bit swollen, his toes
aren't inflamed and he's not acting like they hurt. I just hope everything
from now on goes OK until he gets his cast off.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
-Lost