Twisty CAts

Old October 21st 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

Default Twisty CAts

Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
controversey of a
few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
Cute little
thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
defect and she seems
to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
the Twisty Cats though.

Sherry

Old October 21st 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
controversey of a
few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
Cute little
thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
defect and she seems
to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
the Twisty Cats though.

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

I do remember the "Twisty Kats," but I didn't remember which state was
involved. I did a little searching via the Internet, and it seems that the
locale was not far from you (and even closer to me). According to this
site, it was in Marshall, Texas:
http://www.cfainc.org/comments-twistykats.html.
Many of us -- probably *most* of us -- considered it unethical to
deliberately breed a deformity into generations of cats. This article (from
Cat Fanciers Association) includes this paragraph: "Speir has said in
interviews that she sees no difference in what she is doing and in what
breeders of recognized breeds do. She claims to be breeding something that
is appealing and 'cute.' Even though true cat lovers believe that all cats
are appealing, those who engage in purposeful breeding carry the additional
responsibility to assure that a cat's basic ability to function will not be
compromised." (The reference is to Vickie Speir, who was the breeder of the
cats.)

Here is another site that purports to give a chronology:
http://www.delmars.com/kitcats/twisted.htm. This site notes that Vickie
Speir claimed that she was not "breeding" but was only "reproducing a
favorite pet."

And here is an article that was posted by Vickie Ives (who was known in
earlier articles as Vickie Speir): http://www.karmafarms.com/twisty.htm.
It tells "her side" of the story and also includes several pictures. She
does claim that they do not sell Twisties.

MaryL

Old October 21st 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone remember the "Twisty Cat" breeder, and the surrounding
controversey of a
few years back? Does anyone remember which state that was in?
I"m asking because the shelter has a cat that looks exactly like them.
Cute little
thing, she looks a little like a kangaroo -- seems to be a birth
defect and she seems
to have adapted very well to it. It really bugs me, the similarity to
the Twisty Cats though.

Sherry

Sherry,

I just posted a response to your question and included a couple of links.
Here is another site. This article one discusses the ethics of deliberately
breeding for deformities or abnormalities. The article focuses on Twisty
Cats but also discusses a broader range of abnormalities.
http://www.messybeast.com/twisty.htm

(Note: Some articles refer to them as "Twisty Cats." Others -- and this
seems to include the woman who reported the first one and who set off the
furor by breeding them -- seem to have designated them as "Twisty Kats."

MaryL

MaryL

Old October 21st 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I would disagree with this article on only one point, the "None of the 37
breeds accepted by CFA involve physical characteristics that would interfere
with the cat's ability to move and to act in a normal way," declaration is,
I believe, wrong. Persian cats' faces have become so "flat" from inbreeding
that members of this breed have trouble breathing and respiratory problems.
There are also, I believe breeds of cats whose legs have been so
foreshortened that they have problems running and jumping. With all other
statements made in the article, I agree completely - the "twisty cat" idea
is horrendous.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 21st 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"CatNipped" wrote in message

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yes, I agree with the point you made. I think it is horrendous to see what
some breeders and cat shows have done in creating certain "requirements" for
specific breeds. In my opinion, the Persian and Siamese cats of many years
ago were truly beautiful. Now, we have squashed-in Persian faces that (in
my opinion, at least) create an "angry" look. This has produced the
breathing and respiratory problems you mentioned, and also associated eye
problems.

MaryL

Old October 21st 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Oct 21, 11:58 am, "CatNipped" wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Oh absolutely. Their sinuses and eyes are even screwed up because
their
faces are practically concave now. This is nothing more than stupid
breeders who think they are "improving" the breed. (Definition of
"improve":
whatever gets more rosettes)
Look at a Persian from a few decades ago. They look nothing like
Persians
today.

Sherry

Old October 21st 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 21, 11:58 am, "CatNipped" wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase down
and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold down the
prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the killing bite
to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes that is perfect
for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but gruesome in the most
beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature has created the perfect
killing machine and man has no business trying to change perfection.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 21st 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote

Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase
down and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold down
the prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the killing
bite to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes that is
perfect for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but gruesome in the
most beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature has created the
perfect killing machine and man has no business trying to change
perfection.

You scary, scary woman.

Old October 21st 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase
down and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold
down the prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the
killing bite to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes
that is perfect for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but
gruesome in the most beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature
has created the perfect killing machine and man has no business trying to
change perfection.

You scary, scary woman.

LOL! You already knew that - you've seen me in a flame war and know I go
directly for the throat! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 21st 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

Yep, I agree with you and MaryL. The things I *LOVE* about cats are the
same things that have made them the world's most perfect predator... The
speed and grace of movement that allows them to stalk and then to chase
down and catch prey, the razor sharp claws that grapple into and hold
down the prey, the tapered snout and curved fangs that can deliver the
killing bite to the neck, the rough tongue with backwards-facing spikes
that is perfect for removing meat from bone. Pretty gruesome, but
gruesome in the most beautiful way imaginable (to me, anyway). Nature
has created the perfect killing machine and man has no business trying to
change perfection.

You scary, scary woman.

And another thought, I haven't asked anyone here, but as far as I know IRL,
I'm the only person I know who watches nature shows and roots for the cat
instead of the gazelle! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

twisty cats wpbent Cat anecdotes 1 March 3rd 07 09:07 PM
twisty cats wpbent Cat health & behaviour 1 March 3rd 07 08:06 PM
twisty cats wpbent Cat rescue 0 March 3rd 07 07:44 PM
Another twisty cat breeder? Twisty Whiskers Cat health & behaviour 16 January 9th 04 07:29 AM
Another twisty cat breeder? Twisty Whiskers Cat rescue 9 January 9th 04 07:29 AM