A question about mixing different foods

Old October 26th 07, 09:54 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Default A question about mixing different foods

I would like my cat not to get hooked on just one brand/flavor, but eat
a few.

Which of the following is the best way to mix two flavors A and B in
her diet? She eats twice a day:

1. Feed a little bit of A and a little bit of B each meal.

2. Feed A in the morning, B in the evening.

3. Feed only A for a few days, then only B for a few days.

4. Feed only A for a few weeks, then only B for a few weeks.

Thanks.
Old October 26th 07, 10:02 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Oct 26, 4:54 pm, RPSinha wrote:
I would like my cat not to get hooked on just one brand/flavor, but eat
a few.

Didn't the people who left her for you to take care of leave any
food for her?

When I go on vacation, I pay a neighbor to look after Big Mama,
give them instructions, and leave plenty specific food for them
to feed her.

Old October 27th 07, 12:19 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPS

studio wrote:

: Didn't the people who left her for you to take care of leave any
: food for her?

This is their first cat too and they were still learning themselves. Of
course they offered to pay for all expenses, but we do enough favors
for each other so it will work out in normal order.

I have another hidden agenda in learning all this. First, I am also
feeding another apparently stray cat whenever she shows up; used to be
more regular but she still comes once in a while. Second, as soon as
circumstances permit, we may get our own cats. So I just want to learn.
My SO says it is just my nature to research things to no end.
Old October 27th 07, 04:47 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_3_]

That's nice that you want to give your cat variety but it's important to be
consistent. With some cats changing food too much can cause indigestion. I
give Isis Hill's Prescription food specifically to keep her magnesium levels
low. A vet examination showed she had struvite crystals in her bladder. The
food I feed her prevents the formation of those crystals. I alternate
between chicken flavor and fish flavor and she loves them both. I think
you'll find that when your cat gets hungry it won't matter too much what
flavor it is. Your cat will just dive in and eat like she's been starving
for weeks. -:

Mike in Illinois

Old October 27th 07, 04:56 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Mike wrote:

: I alternate between chicken flavor and fish flavor ...

What does alternate mean in practice, that was precisely my question.
Do you change it every day, week, month? Thanks.
Old October 28th 07, 03:46 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_3_]

I stack the cans so that she gets a chicken flavor on one day and fish the
next. I switch the flavors back and forth day to day. It's hard to tell
which she likes better but I like her to enjoy variety. She's always ready
for dry food, though. Hill's makes very good cat food. She's been eating it
for seven years and her health is excellent.

Mike in Illinois

Old October 28th 07, 05:31 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

On Oct 27, 11:46 pm, "Mike" wrote:
I stack the cans...

lol...so do I. Got a half a cabinet full of Fancy Feast stacked
so she gets a different flavor every day of the week.

I buy the 12 and 24 pack cases at Walmart, and then pick up
10 or 12 individual cans of other flavors during other grocery trips.

Last time I got a 24 pack, it came with a free 1lb. bag of
Gormet Gold kibble.
I also use coupons, which I always have extra of...
every little bit helps.

Old October 28th 07, 07:48 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

studio wrote:

: I buy the 12 and 24 pack cases at Walmart, and then pick up
: 10 or 12 individual cans of other flavors during other grocery trips.

Found an interesting reference. The following excerpt is from
http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm :

"The following Fancy Feast flavors contain NO wheat gluten and are
below 10% carbs:

€ Tender Beef Feast (brown label color)
€ Tender Beef & Liver Feast (magenta)
€ Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (red)
€ Gourmet Chicken Feast (dark pink...be careful, this looks just
like another chicken variety with gluten!)
€ Turkey & Giblets Feast (olive green)
€ Tender Liver & Chicken Feast (orange)
€ Chopped Grill Feast (kelly green)
€ Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast (true blue)
€ Savory Salmon Feast (orange)
€ Flaked Ocean Fish Feast (pink)
€ Tuna and Oceanfish Feast in Aspic (teal label)

Remember that it is a good idea to limit serving fish to just a few
times a week."

Not saying people should only feed these ff flavors, but may be a good
idea to increase their proportion?
Old October 28th 07, 05:10 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_3_]

I wish I could buy Her Majesty foods at Wal-mart but I have to stick with
Hill's to keep Isis' bladder happy. It's not too bad, really. I think I pay
about $64.00 for 48 cans so it's about $1.30 per can.

Ain't Wal-mart the ticket? I'm a vegan so I buy soymilk all the time. I
moved here to Crystal Lake in May. Grocery prices are way high out here in
the 'burbs'. Half a gallon of Silk Soymilk costs $3.79 to $3.99 at three
stores I checked. I went to Wal-mart yesterday to stock up on tooth decay
Halloween treats because I'm told I will get bombarded with trick or
treaters on Wednesday. -: I decided to see if they had Silk Soymilk there
and whammo! They did. $2.56 per half gallon. That's a $1.50 savings or $3.00
per gallon.

I'm a coupon guy, too. I just got a rebate check for $40.00 yesterday for a
flat screen monitor I bought. Every little bit does help. I took my '85
Chevette to the local garage and had it fixed up. They're telling me I'm
good to go for a while. -: I have 42,000 miles on it and am planning a 25th
Birthday Party for it in 2010. They'll be a birthday cake and hats and music
and my friends.

Sometimes I have to deal with abuse, though. My main ride is a 49cc Honda
Metropolitan scooter. I love that little thing. I get 85 mpg and park it in
the bike racks at the stores here. -: Well, everyone out here, and it seems
like everyone, drives Explorers, and SUV's, and F-150's. And here I am, the
only scooter in the whole friggin' town, zooming around buying my groceries.
I get derogatory comments sometimes from people who think I should be paying
for gas and insurance the way they do. But I'm a child of the sixties so
what some schmoe thinks about me only matters a very little bit. -:

Mike in Illinois

"studio" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old October 28th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Mike wrote:

: Ain't Wal-mart the ticket?...

Do you have an Aldi near you? Great prices and quality on many staples.
Not ideal for everything, of course, but we have learned to make them a
part of our shopping routine: Aldi for staples, one of the produce
shops for fruits and vegetables, and Trader Joes for a little spark.