water fountain

Old November 13th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
I'm-just-fine

Default water fountain

Hi there,
I have a rather unique problem that I'm desperately
trying to solve.

I've had a small desk-top water feature for the last year or so in my
home office, and it offers up up a relaxing atmosphere via the gentle
sound of cascading water. Lately though I've noticed that I'm having
to top it up with water virtually every day, whereas before I'd go
virtually a week without having to undertake the chore. Eventually I
discovered that the cause of the problem is my cat, who I caught
drinking from it a few days ago. Why the little so and so has taken to
drinking from my fountain I have no idea, as she has plenty of water
to drink from near her food, but cats are cats of course and will have
their own way. I wouldn't mind so much except for the fact that she's
drinking the fountain down to such a level at times that the pump is
often left sucking on air until I rectify the situation.

I have pondered whether there's something I could add to the water in
the fountain that would put her off drinking from there. Salt is of
course an obvious thought, but it would begin caking up over
everything in very quick time. Potassium cyanide is of course another
alternative, but the potentially fatal side effects to my cat make it
seem a rather extreme measure to take.

Anyone have any thoughts on something I could add to the water that
would make it distasteful enough to encourage my cat to drink
elsewhere?

Any views on the matter would be much appreciated.

Old November 13th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley via CatKB.com

I'm-just-fine wrote:

I just hope you're not a Troll - the bit about adding salt or cyanide to the
water suggests you might be but to give you the benefit of the doubt,

Cats like to drink from running water so your cat is behaving like a cat! You
can buy drinking fountains designed for cats so if the amount she's drinking
worries you then get her one of those and she might deign to drink from that
instead but don't hold your breath

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs .

Old November 13th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I hope you are joking when you suggested putting something in the
water. . .

Get your cat her own fountain. They make drinking fountains for cats,
and it sound like she would enjoy one of her own. There are several
brands available.

Rene

Old November 13th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"I'm-just-fine" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

A little vinegar should discourage her without harm.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Any views on the matter would be much appreciated.

Old November 13th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lesley via CatKB.com" u27720@uwe wrote in message
I'm-just-fine wrote:

I just hope you're not a Troll - the bit about adding salt or cyanide to
the
water suggests you might be but to give you the benefit of the doubt,

Cats like to drink from running water so your cat is behaving like a cat!
You
can buy drinking fountains designed for cats so if the amount she's
drinking
worries you then get her one of those and she might deign to drink from
that
instead but don't hold your breath

Lesley

I was going to say, give your cat to someone who cares more about cats than
stupid ****ing New Age water fountains. Like it kills you to fill the thing.
Ugh.

Old November 13th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 04:22:38 -0800, I'm-just-fine wrote:

[...]

IMHO Put clean water in it daily and let her have it. You might keep an
extra bottle of water close by so you could top it off as needed. MLB

Old November 13th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

:
: I've had a small desk-top water feature for the last year or so in my
: home office, and it offers up up a relaxing atmosphere via the gentle
: sound of cascading water. Lately though I've noticed that I'm having
: to top it up with water virtually every day, whereas before I'd go
: virtually a week without having to undertake the chore. Eventually I
: discovered that the cause of the problem is my cat, who I caught
: drinking from it a few days ago. Why the little so and so has taken to
: drinking from my fountain I have no idea, as she has plenty of water
: to drink from near her food, but cats are cats of course and will have
: their own way.

She is attracted to the fountain for the same reason you and your
guests find it soothing: all animals are hardwired to like gently
flowing water. She is drinking from it because she doesn't know it is a
mere decoration. This is a non-problem. Adding a little water once a
day is hardly a big chore. Keep the fountain clean and full of water,
and let her drink.

A potential side issue is, is she drinking too much water? If so, you
should mention it to her Vet at the next visit. That may be something
to look into. Otherwise don't make a problem where there is none.
Old November 14th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>o[_2_]

On 13 Nov, 12:22, I'm-just-fine wrote:
[...]

I can understand that you don't particularly want her drinking out of
your fountain, but @ the same time, that is the way that cats prefer
to get their water. Fresh, flowing & plenty of it. If it really is a
problem, the only advice I can give you is to add a dash of vinegar(as
suggested by catnipped). Whatever you do, please don't add salt
because you will end up with a sick cat, & a huge vet bill too for
complications due to the salt

The only other alternative is to buy him his own personal fountain &
allow him to have his own fountain rather than using your desk top
feature. Don't hold your breath waiting for it, because the chances
are that it will take a little while for him to get used to the idea
that the one on the table is yours, & the one on the kitchen floor, is
his. He will realise given time which one is ok to use, & which one
isn't. A nice jar of marbles to shake when you catch him doing it
probably wouldn't hurt either.

Good Luck,
Sheelagh"o"

Old November 16th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I can't help but note the irony that you feel your cat is interfering
with the soothing effect of your desk fountain, when the cat is a far
greater source of relaxation and calm.

Doesn't the cat matter more than the fountain? One is inanimate and
has no feelings, while the other is a living creature who is trying to
make themselves comfortable.

Why don't you make your cat happy, and get soothing feelings from that?