Was Serious Constipation now CRF ?

Old November 13th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

Default Was Serious Constipation now CRF ?

Last year our cat was suffering with seriousconstipation
(googlegroups link hehttp://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Having taken the Cat to a small animal hospital for a checkup re the
constipation, it now transpires he has high urea and creatine levels,
and his kidney function is down to about %30 indicating chronic renal
failure. He's also got high calcium levels

He's showing no other symptoms i.e. he's eating drinking & peeing
normally, his coat is fine and his behaviour is normal.

He's only about 5 years old max, so he seems rather young for CRF to
me.

He's having more scans tomorrow to check for cancer etc, but all in
all it doesn't sound good at all.

Very sad right now

Old November 13th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"DrLargePants" wrote in message
ups.com...
Last year our cat was suffering with seriousconstipation
(googlegroups link hehttp://tinyurl.com/2z7k8n)

Having taken the Cat to a small animal hospital for a checkup re the
constipation, it now transpires he has high urea and creatine levels,
and his kidney function is down to about %30 indicating chronic renal
failure. He's also got high calcium levels

He's showing no other symptoms i.e. he's eating drinking & peeing
normally, his coat is fine and his behaviour is normal.

He's only about 5 years old max, so he seems rather young for CRF to
me.

He's having more scans tomorrow to check for cancer etc, but all in
all it doesn't sound good at all.

Very sad right now

I can see why, how worrisome. I don't have any ideas for you about what it
might be, but I really hope it is something that can be corrected so that he
can
live a long, healthy life. Five is so young to be seriously ill. Please let
us know
what the vet says.

Old November 15th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

I can see why, how worrisome. I don't have any ideas for you about what it
might be, but I really hope it is something that can be corrected so that he
can
live a long, healthy life. Five is so young to be seriously ill. Please let
us know
what the vet says.

Well his scans came back clear so no visible signs of cancer,
allthough he won't get the allclear for that until the bonemarrow
tests come back.

It would seem he is suffering from hypercalcemia, which would explain
his constipation prehaps.

Its just a case now I think of how long he can have a good quality of
life with limited kidney function.

As to whats caused it, who knows ? I wonder if it the drugs that he's
being given for the constipation...

Anyways, fingers crossed he can live out a few happy years.
Old November 15th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Well his scans came back clear so no visible signs of cancer,

Fantastic!!

allthough he won't get the allclear for that until the bonemarrow
tests come back.

Here's hoping that is healthy too.

It would seem he is suffering from hypercalcemia, which would explain
his constipation prehaps.

Its just a case now I think of how long he can have a good quality of
life with limited kidney function.

A lot of cats live long lives with it, especially with the level of care you
are willing to give. I hope he does.

Old November 15th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

A lot of cats live long lives with it, especially with the level of care you
are willing to give. I hope he does.

Well here's hoping. I guess the fact that he is young is in his
favour. I'd just love to know what has triggered it.
Old November 16th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 15, 7:05 am, DrLargePants wrote:
A lot of cats live long lives with it, especially with the level of care you
are willing to give. I hope he does.

Well here's hoping. I guess the fact that he is young is in his
favour. I'd just love to know what has triggered it.

What kind of food is he eating?

I've switched my cats (gradually) to food with less and less grains in
it, since I found out cats don't have the enzymes to digest them.
Their fur has gotten shinier, they've stayed slim as they age, and Mr.
Bond doesn't throw up nearly as much.

Corn, especially, can give cats all kinds of trouble. Check the food.
Old November 16th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

Has he eaten any of the tainted food that hit the pet world this year?
That caused a lot of kidney problems in cats.

No he's not had any of those brands
Old November 16th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DrLargePants

What kind of food is he eating?

He's on a prescription diet for his constipation, its basically high
fibre food. His coat is fine as is his weight and general demeanour,
which is why this came as such a shock.