Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

Old November 16th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

I just really want to be informed and cover all bases. All the
information I have gathered or articles that I have read thus far do
not claim that any particular risk is 100% guaranteed if you do not
neuter your cat.

The only real problems I have heard that beckon neutering are
testosterone and spraying -- that it calms aggression and lessens
marking their territory.

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in not
neutering?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old November 16th 07, 10:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 03:10:24 -0600, "-Lost"
wrote:

Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

I just really want to be informed and cover all bases. All the
information I have gathered or articles that I have read thus far do
not claim that any particular risk is 100% guaranteed if you do not
neuter your cat.

The only real problems I have heard that beckon neutering are
testosterone and spraying -- that it calms aggression and lessens
marking their territory.

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in not
neutering?

Intact males tend to be more agressive and get into fights if not
neutered. They will try to escape. If you let them outside, they will
end up n more fights, so you can expect more vet expenses associated
with those injuries.

Intact males are also harder to keep at a good weight and good coat.
They tend to be skinnier, and they can get a condition called stud
tail which means that they release a lot of a hormone just above the
tail, making it really greasy.

They definitely require more work, and they can be a real pain in
terms of behavior and mess.

We had an intact male for about 2 years before we neutered him. He was
horrible. He attacked the other cats and dogs anytime they tried to
get on his person's lap. He sprayed all over the place. We didn't have
outdoor cats before him, but with all the damage, we let him go out
during the day to spray outside instead. Our neighbor stole him and
gave him back. He also attacked raccoons (they backed down from him).
I think he must have gone into their territory, because he disappeared
when he was about 4 years old. We never found him. I think his life
would have been a lot different if we had just neutered him.
Unfortunately, at that time, my mom was a backyard breeder and wanted
to keep him intact. (She did quit after his first litter.)

Intact females will eventually go in heat all the time, which can
drive a person insane. They are also more likely to get cancer. And
they will also try to escape more, especially if there are males
hanging around outside, trying to get at her.

If you are planning to breed him please have him tested for diseases
that can be present even if they don't show. Which tests will depend
on the breed. Just about any cat should have thir heart checked. Many
breeds have genetic testing that can show the likliehood of heart and
kidney problems.

Old November 16th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

There are real risks of reproductive cancers if a cat is not neutered
or spayed.

This is in addition to the risks of the cat losing their home because
of the uncontrollable yowling and spraying and fighting. These
behaviors work in the wild; when we ask the cat to stay with us and be
our pet, it's a favor to the cat to keep them from expressing their
wishes in this way.

If we wonder what the cat thinks, it should be clear; a life in an
environment they are not made for (our modern civilization) that is
nasty, mean, brutish, and short, or a pampered life as a beloved pet.

They don't miss it. As human as they act, there are no cat porn
magazines and they lose all interest in unhomely behaviors.
Old November 16th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, -Lost exclaimed (11/16/2007 6:40 PM):
Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

I just really want to be informed and cover all bases. All the
information I have gathered or articles that I have read thus far do
not claim that any particular risk is 100% guaranteed if you do not
neuter your cat.

The only real problems I have heard that beckon neutering are
testosterone and spraying -- that it calms aggression and lessens
marking their territory.

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in not
neutering?

Ah, NOW you've done it. Long thread, coming up!

I think you're looking at it backwards though. What risk is there in
getting them neutered, aside from the slight danger inherent in any
operation?

Not much, I think, though I've never had a male. But it sounds like an
intact male makes a very poor housecat!

The danger for males seems to be more in how testosterone changes their
behavior, than in the health risks (like higher risk of certain cancers,
I think). I bet if a survey was done, intact males don't live nearly as
long as neutered ones.

It's the same with horses. If he's not breeding material, neuter him.
If you don't plan on breeding, neuter. Your neighbors will thank you as
well!

jmc
Old November 16th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

I just really want to be informed and cover all bases. All the
information I have gathered or articles that I have read thus far do
not claim that any particular risk is 100% guaranteed if you do not
neuter your cat.

The only real problems I have heard that beckon neutering are
testosterone and spraying -- that it calms aggression and lessens
marking their territory.

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in not
neutering?

There is a real risk of more kittens. There are already plenty of cats
around that have to be killed, so why increase the numbers? If we ever
have a cat shortage, feel free to let some breed.
Old November 16th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"-Lost" wrote in message
Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

I just really want to be informed and cover all bases. All the
information I have gathered or articles that I have read thus far do
not claim that any particular risk is 100% guaranteed if you do not
neuter your cat.

The only real problems I have heard that beckon neutering are
testosterone and spraying -- that it calms aggression and lessens
marking their territory.

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in not
neutering?

cancers Preventable by Spaying/Neutering

Female

OVARIAN CYSTADENOMA cystic tumor, often benign but can grow to a moderate
size. Possible cure with ovariohysterectomy. Preventable by spaying.

EPITHELIAL (i.e., carcinoma), and sex-cord stromal (i.e., granulosa cell
tumor, Sertoli-Leydig cell tumor, thecoma, and luteoma) tumors.
Preventable by spaying

OVARIAN ADENOCARCINOMA: malignant tumor of the ovary. Can be prevented by
spaying female cats.

GERM CELL TUMOR: include dysgerminomas and teratomas, tumors from
embryonic-type tissues in the ovaries. Malignant. Ovariohysterectomy,
chemotherapy and radiation will be needed for a cure. Preventable by
spaying.

UTERINE LEIOMYOMA: the most common uterine tumor found in female cats. This
tumor originates from smooth muscle within the uterus, and is usually
benign. Usually no outward symptoms are visible. Ovariohysterectomy usually
produces a complete cure. . Preventable with spaying except in very rare
circumstances.

UTERINE LEIOMYOSARCOMA: malignant cousin to leiomyoma, will invade and
spread inside the abdomen, often before diagnosis. Can cause notable
abdominal enlargement among other symptoms. Ovariohysterectomy and
chemotherapy poorly effective. Preventable with spaying except in very rare
circumstances.

UTERINE FIBROSARCOMA: very invasive malignant cancer, more common in other
areas besides the uterus. Can be treated if caught early but often it will
have already invaded other tissues (metastasize) before diagnosis.
Ovariohysterectomy and chemotherapy are possible but mostly ineffective if
metastasis has occurred. . Preventable with spaying except in very rare
circumstances.

UTERINE ENDOMETRIAL ADENOCARCINOMA: A very common uterine tumor, usually
occuring in old cats. This tumor will metastasize but will remain inside of
the uterine body to make complete removal possible if caught early. This
tumor can metastasize to lungs, heart, abdominal organs and the brain.
Preventable by spaying.

MAMMARY GLAND NEOPLASIA: the third most common type of tumor in female cats
comprising as many as 20% of all tumors the queen may have. Can be almost
completely prevented by spaying before the first heat as these tumors are
highly hormone dependent. Cats spayed after 2.5 years of age have a risk or
incident rate 7 times higher than cats spayed before the first cycle. Most
tumors occur in cats 9-11 years of age and are found primarily in the
breasts closer to the tail.

Male

SERTOLI CELL TUMOR: usually small and benign but can grow very large as part
of a retained testicle. Can produce estrogen, which is the most severe
effect of the tumor, causing liver and bone marrow damage. Often curable if
caught early or chemotherapy may be needed. In cats with high estrogen
levels surgery can be risky. Neutering is preventative.

PROSTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA: malignant tumor, seen more often in cats that
have not been neutered. This tumor causes enlargement of the prostate gland;
prostate gland enlargement will often be quite irregular. Also, this tumor
can cause urinary tract blockage, weakness, pain, bleeding from the penis,
and weight loss. Spreads to areas inside the pelvis and sometimes other
organs. There is no treatment effective towards a cure but neutering may
slow growth of the mass. This tumor is rarely seen in castrated males,
neutering considered preventative.

Old November 16th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"-Lost" wrote in message
Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

I just really want to be informed and cover all bases. All the
information I have gathered or articles that I have read thus far do
not claim that any particular risk is 100% guaranteed if you do not
neuter your cat.

The only real problems I have heard that beckon neutering are
testosterone and spraying -- that it calms aggression and lessens
marking their territory.

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in not
neutering?

The real danger is that he *will* get out. A queen in heat is detectable a
*long* way off and as soon as those hormones start surging he'll be out the
door like a shot before you even see him coming. Not being used to outdoors
any more, and in his headlong rush to a rendevous, he'll be in danger of
traffic, dogs, and all the other assorted dangers of the outdoors that
people here will list over and over given half the change (the only reason
I'm not is the arthritis in my hands). Even if he isn't killed by his
adventure, he'll be adding to the overpopulation of cats the results in
thousands of them being euthanized (or dying more horrible deaths outside)
daily.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Old November 16th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to Meghan Noecker :

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in not
neutering?

Intact males tend to be more agressive and get into fights if not
neutered. They will try to escape. If you let them outside, they
will end up n more fights, so you can expect more vet expenses
associated with those injuries.

Makes sense.

snip

We had an intact male for about 2 years before we neutered him.

(1)

He was horrible. He attacked the other cats and dogs anytime they
tried to get on his person's lap. He sprayed all over the place.

Ugh... so it is highly likely that his constant attacks are due to
him having his doo-dads. *sigh*

snip

I think he must have gone into their territory, because he
disappeared when he was about 4 years old. We never found him.

(1) I think I'm confused. He backed down raccoons WITHOUT his doo-
dads? Or this was before he lost 'em, or... ?

I think his life would have been a lot different if we had just
neutered him. Unfortunately, at that time, my mom was a backyard
breeder and wanted to keep him intact. (She did quit after his
first litter.)

What is a backyard breeder? I'm guessing someone who is not an
official breeder? Or something like that?

snip

If you are planning to breed him snip

Ooooh, HECK no! I can hardly stand one -- especially THIS one.

Thanks for all the great tips though. That's definitely got me one
step closer to the ultimate decision.

I want him to be so much better than what he is but I hate that I
have to mutilate him to do it.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old November 16th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to jmc :

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in
not neutering?

Ah, NOW you've done it. Long thread, coming up!

Hehehe. Well, I DO try and think of good ones. Sometimes I forget
to do my homework and sometimes I just don't understand -- so I
definitely build up the good ones for you lads/lasses.

I think you're looking at it backwards though. What risk is there
in getting them neutered, aside from the slight danger inherent in
any operation?

More than fair point. My only reasoning behind not doing it is I
hate to cut things off of animals. I just don't believe anything
that cannot communicate their desires should have their freedom
manhandled in such a fashion as to lead to their ultimate appendage
removal.

That is why even after HORRIBLE attacks that Gabby still has his
claws. The group let me in on what really happens in a declaw and
when I was done crying I explained to the family it simply wasn't an
option.

Not much, I think, though I've never had a male. But it sounds
like an intact male makes a very poor housecat!

Right. But it does look like I am going to have to make a choice in
this direction. I figured I could handle the spraying and was
basically using no health risks as a crutch to not do it.

The danger for males seems to be more in how testosterone changes
their behavior, than in the health risks (like higher risk of
certain cancers, I think). I bet if a survey was done, intact
males don't live nearly as long as neutered ones.

It seems though that aggression really is a number one reason to
neuter... so I don't know...

Thanks for the tips, jmc.

--
-Lost