Kitten Biting

Old November 22nd 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

Default Kitten Biting

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:55:51 -0800, Rick wrote:

I have an 9 week old Russian Blue kitten (Jack) who bites playfully. At
first I thought maybe he was teething but I now think perhaps it is a
behavioral problem that could continue if left alone. Not sure what to
do. Being a cat he doesn't understand english so I am thinking saying
no is just not going to cut it. I have tried that. Does anyone have
any ideas as to what I could do to break him from this bad habit?

If you don't like the behavior, then quit sticking your hand in his face.
Old November 22nd 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PretLetters

Op Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:55:51 +0100 schreef Rick :

I have an 9 week old Russian Blue kitten (Jack) who bites playfully. At
first I thought maybe he was teething but I now think perhaps it is a
behavioral problem that could continue if left alone. Not sure what to
do. Being a cat he doesn't understand english so I am thinking saying
no is just not going to cut it. I have tried that. Does anyone have
any ideas as to what I could do to break him from this bad habit?

Jack is just playing with your hand. But he has to learn how far he can
go. You don't have a fur coat, so a playful bite can get painful if Jack
is getting bigger. Just call out Ouch or hiss at him when it is a bit too
much or when he turns a bit wild. If he persists, don't let him win and
get him by the skin of his neck and pull him away. And don't tollerate any
real aggression! If Jack turns a bit violant, get him by the neck a bit
more firm. He'll understand.
My kitten likes to play with hands too. But she had to learn haow far she
can go. I always say "Auw, auw, zachtjes! Mamma heeft geen vachtje![1]" to
my now eight months old kitten. She learned perfectly to stop biting and
scraching when I say that. This way we can enjoy the play while she knows
when to be careful with me.

[1]"Ouch, ouch, careful now. Mom doesn't have a fur coat!" in Dutch. Might
work for you too, but maybe it is best to stick to English :-)

--
URL:http://www.pretletters.net/

Old November 22nd 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmagerl[_2_]

Simply stop playing with kitty when the biting starts. He will learn soon
enough that playtime is over if he bites.

Mr. Bonkers learned quite early that the hand was not for playing (petting,
scratching, licking but not playing). Play time with the hand was designated
by bringing out Cujo, a doggy hand puppet. HE could bite, scratch, pounce
all he wanted when Cujo was on the hand.

IT was the vet that told us not to associate ROUGH playing with the hand

Old November 23rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rick

Jack did it again this morning but a fairly loud "Ouch" stopped him in
his tracks. All he does now is lick. :-) By the way it was not only
the hand but the ears, nose, arm, leg...wherever. Perhaps biting was
not a good way to describe it either...he didn't draw blood. It was
more of a nip but my concern is that if he kept doing it then he would
continue into his later years...so cheers to a new beginning.

I suspect the actual word "Ouch" when said fairly loud may be similar to
a cats meow sound...or perhaps I am going out on a limb here. All I
know is the word "Stop" or "Don't" didn't seem to be as effective as
"Ouch". Thanks for all the replys and suggestions.

Old November 23rd 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

When he bites say a high pitched "ouch" and then say no! If he persists, say
'ouch ... no!" and put him down. If he comes back and does it again say
'ouch... no!" and give him a 5 minute time out in another room. Be
consistent and he will stop biting. This is common behavior for kittens this
young. The high pitched ouch is a similar sound to what his littermates made
when he played to hard with them.

Wendy

Old November 23rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Nov 22, 3:55�am, Rick wrote:
I have an 9 week old Russian Blue kitten (Jack) who bites playfully. �At
first I thought maybe he was teething but I now think perhaps it is a
behavioral problem that could continue if left alone. �Not sure what to
do. �Being a cat he doesn't understand english so I am thinking saying
no is just not going to cut it. �I have tried that. �Does anyone have
any ideas as to what I could do to break him from this bad habit?

Stop playing with him the minute he starts to bite. Then stand up and
over him, wagging your finger in exaggerated motions, scolding him in
a big, booming voice. Cats are pack animals and they live and die by
the hierarchy system. To him, you are the alpha-male, so he will start
to be affected by your disapproval soon enough. Eventually, he will
get the message that this type of behavior is not acceptable. Biting
kittens turn into biting adults, and a cat bite can be a very, very
nasty affair. You get bit and two days latter, it goes septic and you
find yourself in the hospital. Do not tolerate this behavior. Because
once it is established, he'll carry it for the rest of his days.
Especially being a male

IBen Getiner
Old November 26th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Nov 25, 3:13�pm, "cindys" wrote:
"IBen Getiner" wrote in message

On Nov 22, 3:55?am, Rick wrote:

[...]

-------
Cats are not pack animals,

You are WRONG. Cats are indeed pack animals.

the owner is not "the alpha male,"

He is around my house..

and the cat
will not continue to bite for the rest of his days,

Bull****.

Rick.. don't listen to this warped evil liar. All she wants to do is
to defeat my point of view. She doesn't give a hoot about your cat OR
it's biting problem. Take it from me... IBen there.

and the owner is
unlikely to get a bite so bad that it's going to "go septic"

More utter bull****. Cat's have a unique bacteria in their mouths that
affects the human system badly when introduced thru a puncture wound.
The reports are all over Usenet. Just take a look and see (like the
one below).. Many, many people each and every year get cat bites that
go septic (i.e. blood poisoned). If you get bit, one might be YOU.

(from a good article on cat bites)

"Statistics show that 80 percent of all cat bites get infected. The
most frequent type of bite is a puncture wound. If a cat bite bleeds
fairly well, your chance of infection will be greatly reduced. The
bleeding actually flushes some of the infectious saliva out of the
wound. But, with their rather long pointed teeth, a cat bite is more
frequently a puncture that doesn't bleed very much, or at all. If the
bite is in a joint, such as a finger knuckle, your injury can prove to
be even more serious with the possibility of inflammation and bone
infection."

http://www.thecatsite.com/general/catbites.html

See, Rick...? This is a direct quote from a reliable site. Cat bites
are very dangerous and can result in really bad things happening to
you. Just like IBen said. Just like cindyz LIED about. She doesn't
care about you or your kat! Just like IBen said... Just like He said.

snip LIES, DECEPTIONS and EVIL, UNWARRENTED HATRED

If you love your cat Rick, you will disregard ANYTHING written by the
poster who challenged me above.

IBenThere, YouHaveNot, Getiner
Old November 26th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Nov 25, 4:25�pm, "Matthew" wrote:
"IBen Getiner" wrote in message

On Nov 22, 3:55?am, Rick

snipped for being a total lie posted by a total loser IBen Getiner

Posted by a �racist Nazi Homophobe

I understand your twisted stance that determines that I am racist, but
not the rest... Tell us Matt.... what does the word 'homophobe' mean
to you....?

IBen Getiner
Old November 26th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Nov 25, 11:11�pm, "Matthew" wrote:

snip

I wasn't addressing you, Matthew.