Itch Remedy?

Old December 5th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bob

Default Itch Remedy?

Hi:

Tania and I have this daily routine. I sit in a certain chair, whistle
her tune, and she comes running into my lap. Where she gets brushed,
and groomed. I groom her by hand after the brushing, and do her entire
body, she loves it!

Last week, I noticed a very small hard spot on her left shoulder. I
picked it out, and it was a brown scab. It didn't bother her, and she
let me remove it. A couple of days later, it was back, and I removed
it again. Today, it was back, and I left it alone, but now she has
one in the exact spot on her right shoulder. This one bothers her a
bit, and she complained when I started picking at it.

I noticed she has been scratching both shoulders, and these scabs are
a result of her hinds cutting while she scratches.

Is there an itch remedy which will alleviate this? I went to PetCo,
and looked at their remedies, but saw nothing for itches.

I have this Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch cream which was prescribed for me,
but I don't know if it is appropriate for cats.

Any Ideas?

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B
Old December 5th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Dec 4, 9:49 pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

look at it under a magnifying glass. It could be a bug.
Old December 5th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to Bob :

Last week, I noticed a very small hard spot on her left shoulder.
I picked it out, and it was a brown scab. It didn't bother her,
and she let me remove it. A couple of days later, it was back, and
I removed it again. Today, it was back, and I left it alone, but
now she has one in the exact spot on her right shoulder. This one
bothers her a bit, and she complained when I started picking at
it.

Um... I could be off here a bit, but why are you picking a scab (if
that is what it is)?

A scab's purpose is to conceal a wound until such time it heals and
the scab naturally falls off due to separation from healthy skin.

The ideal solution, at least to me, seems to be finding a method by
which to alleviate her itching and subsequent scratching. Perhaps a
cortisol agent for cats or even better have you had any medical
opinions on why she is scratching in the first place?

You shouldn't be using any human-prescribed medication to treat an
animal's ailments without extensive knowledge of it's possible
effects. Sounds to me like she may have an allergy of some kind and
putting something foreign and non-prescribed on her could inflame it
or worse.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old December 5th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Dec 4, 10:54�pm, "-Lost" wrote:
Response to Bob :

Last week, I noticed a very small hard spot on her left shoulder.
I picked it out, and it was a brown scab. It didn't bother her,
and she let me remove it. A couple of days later, it was back, and
I removed it again. Today, it was back, and I left it alone, but
now she has one in the exact spot on her right shoulder. This one
bothers her a bit, and she complained when I started picking at
it.

Um... I could be off here a bit, but why are you picking a scab (if
that is what it is)?

A scab's purpose is to conceal a wound until such time it heals and
the scab naturally falls off due to separation from healthy skin.

Yes, Einstein... But the reason FOR the scab is because he is
ceaselessly scratching. THAT is the point here.

The ideal solution, at least to me, seems to be finding a method by
which to alleviate her itching and subsequent scratching. �Perhaps a
cortisol agent for cats or even better have you had any medical
opinions on why she is scratching in the first place?

An Elizabethan collar would work best..

You shouldn't be using any human-prescribed medication to treat an
animal's ailments without extensive knowledge of it's possible
effects. �Sounds to me like she may have an allergy of some kind and
putting something foreign and non-prescribed on her could inflame it
or worse.

Agreed

IBen Getiner
Old December 5th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Dec 4, 9:49�pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

�/"\
�\ / � �ASCII Ribbon Campaign � � � �- �Motor Vessel Tamara B
� X � against HTML email & vCards � �- �http://www.tamara-b.org
�/ \ � � � �Tania Our Cathttp://www.tamara-b.org/t4.jpg
. � . � � �http://www.tamara-b.org/t1.jpgt2.jpg t3.jpg

Try an Elizabethan collar, Rob. They've worked wonders for a lot of
critters.

IBen Getiner
Old December 5th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bob

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:07:13 -0800 (PST) IBen Getiner Said In Itch
Remedy?

| Try an Elizabethan collar, Rob. They've worked wonders for a lot of
| critters.

It doesn't look like that collar would much. She scratches her shoulder
with her hind feet, That collar seems designed to stop licking/biting.

Bob

--
/"\
Old December 5th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bob

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:54:32 -0600 -Lost Said In Itch Remedy?

| Um... I could be off here a bit, but why are you picking a scab (if
| that is what it is)?

I wanted to identify what it was. At first I thought it may have a
parasite. So I picked it off, and looked at it carefully with a
magnifying glass. But it was so broken up, and matted with fluff, that I
could not positively identify it. The next picking was more productive,
it was definitely scab blood.

Bob

--
/"\
Old December 5th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bob

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:54:32 -0600 -Lost Said In Itch Remedy?

| The ideal solution, at least to me, seems to be finding a method by
| which to alleviate her itching and subsequent scratching.

Agree.

|Perhaps a cortisol agent for cats or even better have you had any
|medical opinions on why she is scratching in the first place?

That's why I thought of this Hydrocortisone I have, it is a "cortisol
agent"; but no, I have had no medical opinions. I tend to stay away
from doctors, and especially for Tania, she gets her yearly checkup,
and shots, I hate to bring her to the vet, where she can come into
contact with some disease.Since we live on a trawler, Tania is strictly
an indoor cat, NEVER goes outside. I am very protective of her, she is
my special baby girl ;-)

| You shouldn't be using any human-prescribed medication to treat an
| animal's ailments without extensive knowledge of it's possible
| effects.

I know. Perhaps a phone call to her vet, and some advice over the phone.

| Sounds to me like she may have an allergy of some kind and

Possibly, but nothing in her environment has changed over the past 5
years, so I doubt it. Also, these 2 small spots are the only ones on
her entire body.

Bob

--
/"\
Old December 5th 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to Bob :

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:07:13 -0800 (PST) IBen Getiner Said In
Itch Remedy?

| Try an Elizabethan collar, Rob. They've worked wonders for a lot
| of critters.

It doesn't look like that collar would much. She scratches her
shoulder with her hind feet, That collar seems designed to stop
licking/biting.

Not to mention aside from masking your current problem it serves no
purpose in correcting this situation.

I saw that you mentioned you live on a trawler and that the kitty's
environment hasn't changed. Isn't there something whereby constant
sea spray or something can cause small lesions? Salt buildup or
something like that? Scurvy?

OK, maybe not the last one...

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old December 5th 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Bob exclaimed (12/5/2007 2:28 PM):
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:54:32 -0600 -Lost Said In Itch Remedy?

| Sounds to me like she may have an allergy of some kind and

Possibly, but nothing in her environment has changed over the past 5
years, so I doubt it. Also, these 2 small spots are the only ones on
her entire body.

Bob

Doesn't matter. Just like people, cats can suddenly get allergies to
things they had no problem with in the past.

jmc

Loose Stook Remedy cybercat Cat health & behaviour 1 June 11th 07 07:36 PM
Hairball remedy Philip Cat health & behaviour 3 May 5th 05 04:43 PM
Ear mite remedy? Ken Knecht Cat health & behaviour 6 September 22nd 04 07:58 PM
Rescue Remedy cati Cat anecdotes 13 April 5th 04 11:50 PM
Rescue Remedy [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 4 January 3rd 04 01:17 AM