Grooming Day

Old December 8th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Grooming Day

Today was grooming day in the Crews' house, everyone got mani's and pedi's
and a hairstyle - mommy got hurt.

Demi, Jessie, Ozzy and Archer all like to get their manicures and pedicures
and get their hair done, they look forward to the treats afterwards. Sammy
is a different story....

First, we're talking about almost 20 pounds of pure muscle - vet techs don't
want to go near her without a tranquilizer gun. And she does... not...
like... having her hair or nails messed with.

I always do the nails first - DUH. First I go into DH's chest of drawers
and get out a sock. Then DH and I chase Sammy down and put the sock over
her head. Then DH holds Sammy down as much as possible (he's a 280 pound
man and he still can't hold her completely still - she is *strong*) while I
clip her claws. Even though we're practiced in this art after 3.5 years, it
still takes a little while because she has *SO* much hair on her paws and
black nails, it's hard to find the "quick" to make sure I don't hurt her (if
I ever hurt her doing this then that's all she wrote 'cause she'd never let
me do it again).

After we get all 18 claws clipped DH and I sit down, check ourselves over to
make sure we still have all our extremities, curse the groomer who won't
even accept 3 times her normal fee to groom Sammy, and basically regroup.

Now it's time for her brushing which she *really* doesn't like! Again, DH
braves the teeth of death to grab her and scruff her. I was luck this time,
I got in about 10 quick strokes with the brush and got this much dead hair
off of her: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Sammy_Hair.jpg as compared to
what I got out of long-haired Demi:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Demi_Hair.jpg. Of course, in return, I got
this on me: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Scratch1.jpg and
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Scratch2.jpg and
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Scratch3.jpg. And she managed to do that with
*clipped claws*! There are also two puncture wounds in my wrist because she
managed to buck off a 280 pound man and got free for half a second!

Thanks gawd it's another whole week before we have to do this again!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 8th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I never try to clip Tiger's claws. I do brush him with a Zoom Groom
every day. He still gets mats and I try to remove them with a Mat
Breaker. He will tolerate a few swipes first thing in the morning but
as soon as it pulls he objects. I don't push it!

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old December 8th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Must be another Maine Coon foible.

Wrestling a 25 pound cat is definately a workout.

Bubba *hates* being groomed and/or clipped.

He's such a drama queen about it too.

Full on growling/hissing/wiggling.

At least when he bites he's not really serious about
doing any damage or else I'd be needing the Kevlar gloves.

Fortunately he seems to forget the ordeal fairly quickly,
especially after a nice food related treat

Old December 8th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

You've described my adventure with Sammy to a tee. I'm lucky she's not
serious about biting either and, yes, as soon as it's over she's ready to
come jump up next to me and get some pettin's.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 8th 07, 08:00 PM posted to alt.flame,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OMG (was Grooming Day)

"darlin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[snip]
First I go into DH's chest of drawers
and get out a sock. Then DH and I chase Sammy down and put the sock over
her head. Then DH holds Sammy down as much as possible (he's a 280 pound
man

OMFG, I can't believe you actually confessed this terrible act here in a
public forum. You are both sick and shameless.

There are far better ways to get the job done than by suffocating the
poor thing with a sock while a hulking 280 lb dude holds it down. (Like
take it to a vet and have them give the cat tranquilizer meds.)

Please please please puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeze give your poor, abused kitty
cat to somebody who won't be so mean to it. Please. Pretty please with
chocolate sprinkles on top.

You're an idiot! She can breathe perfectly well through the sock. Do you
*really* think giving a cat a sedative weekly is better??! Yes, weekly,
she's a Maine Coon and that's how often she has to be brushed, and before
she can be brushed she has to have her claws clipped or my arm would be
*completely* shredded! I'm the one with the wounds, she wasn't
"suffocated", she wasn't hurt, her claws were clipped and she was brushed!
Geez, some people!

CatNipped

Old December 8th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"darlin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[snip]
[...]

Well put.

Crosspost to "alt.flame" removed...
Old December 8th 07, 08:53 PM posted to alt.flame, rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 8 Dec, 19:31, darlin wrote:
In article ,
says...

[snip]
First I go into DH's chest of drawers
and get out a sock. Then DH and I chase Sammy down and put the sock over
her head. Then DH holds Sammy down as much as possible (he's a 280 pound
man

OMFG, I can't believe you actually confessed this terrible act here in a
public forum. You are both sick and shameless.

There are far better ways to get the job done than by suffocating the
poor thing with a sock while a hulking 280 lb dude holds it down. (Like
take it to a vet and have them give the cat tranquilizer meds.)

Please please please puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeze give your poor, abused kitty
cat to somebody who won't be so mean to it. Please. Pretty please with
chocolate sprinkles on top.

'catnipped abuses her cats' if i ever thought that she was ever likely
to be abusing any of her over indulged spolit brood I would eat my own
pants, and that would also be the day hell freezes over.

do you have any clue how thoroughly pampered those cats are?

abused my arse

bookie
Old December 8th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Gosh - I must be lucky with my Maine Coon! I know they really hate to
be held - so I sit on the floor with a comb and he walks back and
forth and that is the way he gets groomed - I do this nearly daily.
He seems to sort of enjoy this, actually. If I were to hold him and
try it - oh Lord - I would need a transfusion!

Now for trimming the nails - the husband does hold him with all feet
pointed down and I quickly clip the nails. Actually, this task is on
the agenda for tomorrow!!!
Sharon

this on me: �http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Scratc...m/Scratch3.jpg. �And she managed to do that with

See all my masters at: �http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old December 8th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"darlin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[snip]
[...]

Thanks!

First, pilling Sammy is worse than clipping her claws - she *really* doesn't
like that! Second, maybe it's because of how I feel about mind/mood
altering drugs for myself, but I don't believe it's ever a good idea to put
something into a cat's system that going to last for *hours* just to save
her a few minutes of aggravation. The intramuscular sedation a vet uses
would be even worse.

The purpose of the sock is similar to when a horse is "hooded", it keeps
them calm. My vet is the one who first told me about it when I asked him
about a muzzle for a cat. Unlike muzzling a dog, muzzling a cat doesn't
really help because they still have 4 paws full of weapons. The sock is
perfectly harmless (before I ever used it on her I put it over my own mouth
and nose and breathed through it for 5 minutes and it didn't even remotely
restrict my breathing), but it does make a cat freeze for a few minutes. If
Sammy doesn't see the clippers approaching her claws, it doesn't bother her
as much as when she does.

As far as DH holding her down, how else would a vet or vet tech get her to
keep still long enough to administer the sedation? It's not like they
*really* use tranquillizer guns! ;

As I said, geez, some people!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Crosspost to "alt.flame" removed...

Old December 8th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"darlin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[snip]
[...]

I know what a tussle Maine Coon maintenance can be...

I generally grab Bubba by all 4 feet when he's not
paying attention and flip him upside down in my lap
to do the nails. Sometimes I have to pin him to the
arm of the couch with the side of my butt when he's
*really* not in the mood.

I usually do the comb & brush out on a different day.

Both at the same time id udully too much for either of us.