How to keep them off counters?

Old December 13th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

Default How to keep them off counters?

I've posted abt my problems with Moe & Rudy here before...I hate to
give them up...I love them both and they are very loving cats

they're smart guys, when Rick, my husband died..I was basket case.
sobbing all the time..I couldn't even say their names I used the hand
signal for come here and they always did...also if they weren't in the
room when I was crying they'd both come running to see me

they were the last thing (for lack of a better word) that Rick and I
got together...Tera, my therapist things it's very bad ideal for me to
give them away since they do make me smile, even though they are wild
guys

like I said they're smart...so I should be able to train them

I want to keep off kitchen counters (they didn't use to go on them)
off the sink, and stove

also stop them from doing flying jump thing...they do to get on
something that's banned, like on top of my bookcase which now has
Christmas decorations on it and after that family...they're only
banned from the bookcase and one stand that has knickknacks on
it...like I said before that they didn't do it

yes cats can be trained...I don't want them trained for just for when
I'm around, either

my daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
when I'm gone

I appreciate all suggestions

Lynn

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be
thinking up something else.
~Lily Tomlin
Old December 13th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/Ani...s/jumping.aspx
Old December 13th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to Noon Cat Nick :

http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/Ani...ps/cattips/jum
ping.aspx

That is definitely a clever idea. Allow the environment to discourage
kitty and not any chiding from the slave... er... owner. Makes sense.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old December 13th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

y daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
when I'm gone

NO, you are right. Do not hit these cats or use a water bottle.

Do they have a cat tree they can climb and some other perches of their
own? If they have their own furniture they are less likely to use
yours.

To keep them off the counters or other areas, use a plastic carpet
runner and put it wrong side up. This is an inexpensive, safe way to
stop them, as they won't like walking on the prickly surface.

Do you play with them each day? It sounds like they have a lot of
energy that needs to be released. You can use wand toys or something
like the Cat Dancer to interact with them. If they are tired, they are
less likely to get into trouble.
Old December 13th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

On Dec 13, 10:13�am, "Rene S." wrote:
y daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm

not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
when I'm gone

NO, you are right. Do not hit these cats or use a water bottle.

Do they have a cat tree they can climb and some other perches of their
own? If they have their own furniture they are less likely to use
yours.

To keep them off the counters or other areas, use a plastic carpet
runner and put it wrong side up. This is an inexpensive, safe way to
stop them, as they won't like walking on the prickly surface.

Do you play with them each day? It sounds like they have a lot of
energy that needs to be released. �You can use wand toys or something
like the Cat Dancer to interact with them. If they are tired, they are
less likely to get into trouble.

they have a tall cat tree with 2 places they can rest on it has tall
straching post and tube they can get in...I put it in front of a
window they love it, also have a...don't what it's called got it at
Walmart..has 3 cubes..two on the bottom one on top and it has sling.
they use that alot too

I can't have anything near where they want to get on...ex there other
straching post Moe was on it and jumped to the top of my book case

I do need to play with them more but my chronic pain interfers...after
Xmas going to order Da Bird for them...when I play with them Moe gets
left behind...Rudy plays dominate cat but thats not all time, only
when we play

by plastic carpet runners...you mean the type that on the bottom it
has little prong type thingies?

and is that the part you put on top? prongs faced up? do you tape
them to the counters?

thanks for all the suggestions

lynn

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes
wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
~Douglas Adams

Old December 13th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul

On Dec 13, 10:21�am, bobblespin wrote:
ensoul wrote in news:4f2b4773-28ae-4e3b-8d73-
:

snip

I want to keep off kitchen counters (they didn't use to go on them)
off the sink, and stove

also stop them from doing flying jump thing...they do to get on
something that's banned, like on top of my bookcase which now has
Christmas decorations on it and after that family...they're only
banned from the bookcase and one stand that has knickknacks on
it...like I said before that they didn't do it

yes cats can be trained...I don't want them trained for just for when
I'm around, either

my daughter says to give a swat but I've never ever hit a cat and I'm
not abt to start...if I make loud noises it stops them then but not
when I'm gone

I appreciate all suggestions

Lynn

I've found two-way sticky tape works wonders - cats hate touching it and it
works for you while you're not there.

Bobble- Hide quoted text -

Bobbie the only type I can find is very narrow....I would have to
cover all counter space with it

I used contact paper on one stand the sticky part wears down quickly &
they check it out every day (see what I mean abt being smart) : )

they're big cats weighing in at 16lbs and very long, often they get on
their hind legs...they can reach things that way...but they use to get
my attention...I was on the phone and Rudy stood up on his hind legs
and started patting my butt ..LOL....they 30 inches long!

thanks Bobbie

Old December 13th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

by plastic carpet runners...you mean the type that on the bottom it
has little prong type thingies?

and is that the part you put on top? prongs faced up? do you tape
them to the counters?

Yes, those kind with the prongs facing up so when they walk on them it
feels prickly. You don't need to tape them. Just lay them on the
counters or anywhere you don't want them to walk. When you want to use
the counter, just take the runner off.
Old December 13th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Rene S." :

by plastic carpet runners...you mean the type that on the bottom
it has little prong type thingies?

and is that the part you put on top? prongs faced up? do you
tape them to the counters?

Yes, those kind with the prongs facing up so when they walk on
them it feels prickly. You don't need to tape them. Just lay them
on the counters or anywhere you don't want them to walk. When you
want to use the counter, just take the runner off.

Although I think this is a perfect solution, it may not be in this
situation.

More than once she has mentioned that they take flying leaps to reach
what they want, so unless they make those things differently than
what my mother had years, and years ago -- they hurt!

I couldn't imagine how a large(ish) 16 pounder would feel after
landing on it after taking a running jump to reach it.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old December 14th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I couldn't imagine how a large(ish) 16 pounder would feel after
landing on it after taking a running jump to reach it.

It would only take landing on it once and the 16 lb'er probably never would
try it again! Would solve ensoul's problem.

S.

Response to "Rene S." :