A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cats - misc
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

KITTY LITTER DUST



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old January 28th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
DanS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!

In article , William
Graham wrote:

"DanS" wrote in message
...
In article , Matthew
wrote:

"DanS" wrote in message
...
In article , Kyla%
wrote:

Kitty Litter dust can be harmful to humans as well..
we have 4 cats and now use one that is 99% dust free...

I've used litters that are supposedly 99% dust free and still feel like
I'm in Pigpen's dust cloud when I fill the litter box. Can anyone
recommend a brand of scoopable that really is low on dust??

Dan

In another group Phil had an idea take the litter outside and shift it
back and forth betweeen containers till the dust is out



I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
the dust.


The, "clumping" type is more dust free than the other.....Easier to work
with, too.......



Actually, I meant clumping. I was thinking that I scoop out the clumps
and called it "scoopable" but I meant "clumping".
  #22  
Old January 28th 08, 11:20 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 349
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!


"DanS" wrote in message
...
In article , William
Graham wrote:

"DanS" wrote in message
...
In article , Matthew
wrote:

"DanS" wrote in message
...
In article , Kyla%
wrote:

Kitty Litter dust can be harmful to humans as well..
we have 4 cats and now use one that is 99% dust free...

I've used litters that are supposedly 99% dust free and still feel
like
I'm in Pigpen's dust cloud when I fill the litter box. Can anyone
recommend a brand of scoopable that really is low on dust??

Dan

In another group Phil had an idea take the litter outside and shift
it
back and forth betweeen containers till the dust is out



I'd thought about doing something like that, or stirring it around in
the litterbox while waving the vacuum cleaner hose over it to suck up
the dust.


The, "clumping" type is more dust free than the other.....Easier to work
with, too.......



Actually, I meant clumping. I was thinking that I scoop out the clumps
and called it "scoopable" but I meant "clumping".


I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one of my
cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently using
it? You could enclose it in a box, and vent it to the outside with a small
muffin fan if it really bothered you that much.....If nothing else, It would
get the smell out of the house......


  #23  
Old January 29th 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Upscale
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!


"William Graham" wrote in message

I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one of

my
cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently

using
it?


I've had three Littermaids and finally came to the conclusion that I was
wasting money. The first was replaced under warranty. It died a few weeks
after the one year warranty expired. When the third one screwed up I tossed
it and didn't bother getting it replace under the warranty. It's almost as
easy to scoop a regular litter box as it is to toss and then replace the
waste tray from one of the automatic units. As far as knowing it's running,
you can hear it straining the litter. In the beginning, my cat would watch
it running and I'm sure she was jumping into it occasionally just to see it
run, but she wouldn't jump in if it was running at the time.


  #24  
Old January 29th 08, 08:59 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
seejaneburn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!

(de-lurking for a minute)
I know it's not scoopable, but I use the recycled newspaper litter, for four
reasons: Dust free, so much lower risk of respiratory problems and airborn
greeblies, low odour (it seems to mask ammonia very well), cheap so instead
of scooping I just tip the whole lot in the bin every day and it can be
bought in bulk, and environmentally friendly. I'm in Australia so not sure
what is available to you, but after testing many litter brands and types,
this seems to be the best combined value for money/odour control/healthwise
of the brands available to me. Another good alternative if you can find it
is lucerne pellets, often can be bought in bulk at feed stores for a few
dollars a litre.

  #25  
Old January 29th 08, 03:00 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,246
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:11:13 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:


"William Graham" wrote in message

I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one of

my
cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently

using
it?


I've had three Littermaids and finally came to the conclusion that I was
wasting money. The first was replaced under warranty. It died a few weeks
after the one year warranty expired. When the third one screwed up I tossed
it and didn't bother getting it replace under the warranty. It's almost as
easy to scoop a regular litter box as it is to toss and then replace the
waste tray from one of the automatic units. As far as knowing it's running,
you can hear it straining the litter. In the beginning, my cat would watch
it running and I'm sure she was jumping into it occasionally just to see it
run, but she wouldn't jump in if it was running at the time.


This topic comes up often and most folks think that Littermaid is a
waste of money. Having looked around a bit I almost bought this one:

http://www.litter-robot.com/

It is NOT cheap, around $300.

I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
that up.

But if I was going to buy one of these things, this is the one I would
get.
  #26  
Old January 29th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Upscale
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!


"dgk" wrote in message

http://www.litter-robot.com/
It is NOT cheap, around $300.


I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
that up.


I considered one of those at one point, but it doesn't really seem like
there's a lot a space in there for a cat. And although poop might be
filtered away quickly, when she pees it would be hitting the sides of the
LitterRobot. I know if I was a cat, climbing into that thing wouldn't be
pleasant. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about the Littermaid
wasn't that it was breaking down (although that was certainly a contributing
factor), but that there were so many nooks and crannies for poop to get
lodged in and that it was a really big pain in the ass to clean when I
wanted to every month or two.

Another thing that bothered me with the Littermaid is that the sides of them
aren't as high as they could be and my big cat sometimes sprayed over the
edge of the Littermaid.

D.


  #27  
Old January 29th 08, 06:54 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,246
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:28:11 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:


"dgk" wrote in message

http://www.litter-robot.com/
It is NOT cheap, around $300.


I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
that up.


I considered one of those at one point, but it doesn't really seem like
there's a lot a space in there for a cat. And although poop might be
filtered away quickly, when she pees it would be hitting the sides of the
LitterRobot. I know if I was a cat, climbing into that thing wouldn't be
pleasant. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about the Littermaid
wasn't that it was breaking down (although that was certainly a contributing
factor), but that there were so many nooks and crannies for poop to get
lodged in and that it was a really big pain in the ass to clean when I
wanted to every month or two.

Another thing that bothered me with the Littermaid is that the sides of them
aren't as high as they could be and my big cat sometimes sprayed over the
edge of the Littermaid.

D.


Folks seem to really like that Litter-robot though. Of course, they
could all be stockholders. I'm not.
  #28  
Old January 29th 08, 06:55 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bob
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!

I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
true.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1


"dgk" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:11:13 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:


"William Graham" wrote in message

I wonder how these automatic, "self cleaning" ones they advertise on TV
work.....Are they safe for the cat? - I mean, I would hate to have one
of

my
cats get caught in the mechanism. Do they know if the cat is currently

using
it?


I've had three Littermaids and finally came to the conclusion that I was
wasting money. The first was replaced under warranty. It died a few weeks
after the one year warranty expired. When the third one screwed up I
tossed
it and didn't bother getting it replace under the warranty. It's almost as
easy to scoop a regular litter box as it is to toss and then replace the
waste tray from one of the automatic units. As far as knowing it's
running,
you can hear it straining the litter. In the beginning, my cat would watch
it running and I'm sure she was jumping into it occasionally just to see
it
run, but she wouldn't jump in if it was running at the time.


This topic comes up often and most folks think that Littermaid is a
waste of money. Having looked around a bit I almost bought this one:

http://www.litter-robot.com/

It is NOT cheap, around $300.

I didn't buy it because I'm going to have the bathroom redone soon and
I'm going to try to have a litter box area where an electric eye turns
on a fan/filter when the darlings use the box. I really don't mind
scooping but I do hate the dust. Checking the litter is one of the
ways we can tell how our felines are feeling and I really hate to give
that up.

But if I was going to buy one of these things, this is the one I would
get.


  #29  
Old January 29th 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
DanS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!

In article , Bob
wrote:

I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
true.


I may have to try this because the Scoop Away I currently use is WAY
too dusty.

Thanks!
  #30  
Old January 30th 08, 12:11 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bob
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default KITTY LITTER DUST!

You're welcome.

It's cheaper too ;-)

"DanS" wrote in message
...
In article , Bob
wrote:

I use this one. It claims to be 99% dust free and I find the claim to be
true.


I may have to try this because the Scoop Away I currently use is WAY
too dusty.

Thanks!


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best Kitty Litter? ensoul Cat health & behaviour 25 February 18th 06 11:03 AM
a truly dust free cat litter? Karen Cat anecdotes 6 June 27th 05 03:29 PM
The kitty litter factory Dan M Cat anecdotes 54 June 18th 04 06:18 AM
Kitty goes _outside_ the litter box... help! Scott Cat health & behaviour 20 January 9th 04 03:36 PM
Litter Dust / Crystals / Love Bites Mike Harris Cat health & behaviour 24 January 6th 04 01:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.