Doing his poo outside

Old January 18th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dougal44

Default Doing his poo outside

i have a 6 month old ginger kitten-male-he uses his litter tray but now I
want him to do it outside in the soil. we have put the litter tray out and he
does it in that but refuses to do it on the soil even when litter is put on
top. he will hold on to it for hours and become stressed. we put soil in the
tray and he did it in it but no longer digs and no longer covers it up! W e
gave up and went back to just litter but i don't want to be cleaning out
trays for the next 14 years!

Old January 18th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

It sounds like your cat has made his choice--he prefers to use the
litterbox instead of going outside. Cleaning a litter box is a small
thing do to compared to him eliminating in your house! Please don't
try and make him go outside anymore. You might end up with other
behavoiral problems if you do.

Rene

ps Holding his urine in for hours is also a bad thing for his long-
term health!
Old January 19th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Jan 18, 2:43*pm, "dougal44" u40766@uwe wrote:
i have a 6 month old ginger kitten-male-he uses his litter tray but now I
want him to do it outside in the soil. we have put the litter tray out and he
does it in that but refuses to do it on the soil even when litter is put on
top. he will hold on to it for hours and become stressed. we put soil in the
tray and he did it in it but no longer digs and no longer covers it up! W e
gave up and went back to just litter but i don't want to be cleaning out
trays for the next 14 years!

Don't rush him. Its winter now and by summer he will probably prefer
to do it outside. Cats can really hold on it it for a long time. I
know someone who drove cross country with a cat in the car and said in
the evening when they got to the motel she just set out the litter pan
and the cat used it after holding it for the entire day. My cat is
just the opposite from your cat. He wants to go outside but there are
times when the weather is just too bad or Im gone too long and he must
use the litter pan and man o man, the flood gates of the grand
coulee dam open up.
Old January 19th 08, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni[_6_]

dougal44 submitted this idea :
i have a 6 month old ginger kitten-male-he uses his litter tray but now I
want him to do it outside in the soil. we have put the litter tray out and he
does it in that but refuses to do it on the soil even when litter is put on
top. he will hold on to it for hours and become stressed. we put soil in the
tray and he did it in it but no longer digs and no longer covers it up! W e
gave up and went back to just litter but i don't want to be cleaning out
trays for the next 14 years!

One of my cats will go outside for an hour and then come in and use the
litter tray. He was an indoor cat in his early years but I have seen
this before.

On the good side you can be able to check for any sign of worms or
sickness. My cat will wait for me to fill clean litter into his tray
and he jumps straight in and soils it. I reckon he don't really want
to go at all !

--
Count Baldoni

Old January 19th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 19 Jan, 01:02, honeybunch wrote:
[...]

thats is not good for the cat, holding in urine can lead to
inflammation and infections in the bladder and all sorts of nasty
stuff long term

feel very sorry for your mates cat having to hold his pee in for so
long, that is not good for him at all

but liek you say it might be the fact it is cold out there right now
and he may go otuside when it gets warmer
OR it maybe that he is scared f another cat who he has seen lurking
outside before who has been bullying him (are there other cats outside
who come into your garden?) and he is too scared that he might get
'set upon' by this invader whilst he is having a poo and at his most
vulnerable, totally understandable really.
do you accompany him when he goes outside? he might appreciate
someone 'standing guard' a couple of times until he know he is safe
from attack, and try to make your garden more secure perhaps?

poor little sausage

bookie