Antihistamines for a cat?

Old January 26th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Default Antihistamines for a cat?

We were told by a vet to use Benedryl, half of an adult tablet, for our
cat's itchiness. Has anyone tried that? He would not eat it in food, and
simply frothed at the mouth and coughed it up every time we tried to
pill him. It must be horrible.

Anyone tried any other antihistamines? Of course, our regular vet is on
vacation this week.

Thanks,

Rhonda

Old January 26th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Ask your vet about liquid Benedril. A squirt with an eye dropper might
work.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old January 26th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

You can buy liquid benedryl at walmart and purchase a syringe from the
pharmacy there to dose the cat with.

Celeste

Old January 26th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rhonda" wrote in message
We were told by a vet to use Benedryl, half of an adult tablet, for our
cat's itchiness. Has anyone tried that? He would not eat it in food, and
simply frothed at the mouth and coughed it up every time we tried to pill
him. It must be horrible.

My vet said chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is
4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs) twice a day.

Who can tell if it works, since it takes the cats from sleeping
14 hours a day to 20 hours a day?

I give it to Gracie every now and then when her congestion
sounds bad and/or she is itching and it is too soon for a Depo
shot.

Old January 26th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Spot" wrote in message
You can buy liquid benedryl at walmart and purchase a syringe from the
pharmacy there to dose the cat with.

And it will knock your cat out worse than chlortrimeton. he won't be awake
for long enough to scratch.

Old January 26th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Ask your vet about liquid Benedryl. A
squirt with an eye dropper might work.

I suggested asking the vet so you would know how much of the liquid to
give.

Old January 26th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 06:24:17 +0000, Rhonda wrote:

We were told by a vet to use Benedryl, half of an adult tablet, for our
cat's itchiness. Has anyone tried that? He would not eat it in food, and
simply frothed at the mouth and coughed it up every time we tried to pill
him. It must be horrible.

Anyone tried any other antihistamines? Of course, our regular vet is on
vacation this week.

Thanks,

Rhonda

Half of an adult tablet would knock me out. Be very careful. Research
the internet to see if you can find out more about dosage for animals.
Old January 28th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

cybercat wrote:

My vet said chlortimeton, same dosage, half a tab (a tab is
4 mgs, so that is 2 mgs) twice a day.

Who can tell if it works, since it takes the cats from sleeping
14 hours a day to 20 hours a day?

I give it to Gracie every now and then when her congestion
sounds bad and/or she is itching and it is too soon for a Depo
shot.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

CC, I'm trying the chlorimeton. He found that in the food, too. I didn't
try to pill him this time around, I mixed it with water and syringed it
in. He started gagging, but it stayed down. I didn't know he was such a
sensitive boy.

Thanks again,

Rhonda