UTI's in Cats

Old January 31st 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Default UTI's in Cats

Our cat Maxwell (aka: Maximus or Maximillion) hasn't been with us all
that long. My friend offered him to us because one of her roommates
was not treating Max very well and she gave the cat to us because she
couldn't be home all the time to supervise.

We gladly took him in. He is a "jolly" cat, LOL! He has grown on us
very quickly! He is all lap cat. He is either by my feet (while I am
at my desk or the kitchen table) rolling around or in my lap. While at
the same time, he is very unobtrusive... he doesn't get under feet or
run past my feet as I am walking through the house.

In December I lost my job. Just a few days after the event, Max
developed a UTI... We got him into the vet right away as soon as I
noticed a problem.

He was given anti-biotics and all seemed well. Just shy of a month
later, I noticed Max trying to eliminate his bladder around the house
again... OH NO!!! I got him off to the vets office without delay. I
called them and explained our financial situation and they did the
best they could to keep the bill down but the bill still came to just
over $300.00 because they had to keep him over night.

Then, this past Monday night... oops! Max let go of his bladder all
over the blankets as we were sleeping. I was not so very happy with
Max. On one hand, I feel so bad for him! He must be hurting or he
wouldn't be doing this... But this is getting pretty frustrating. I
had just washed all those blankets this past weekend for the same
reason.

But, he was still on anti-biotics from the last visit and (it had been
three or four days that he had been on the anti-biotic). I called the
vets office again and they said to bring him right in. They needed to
see if he was still blocked. Of course he was. They said 95% blocked
up again.

They inform me that now that he is on a special diet once this is
clears up (they could tell from the type of crystals that are in his
urine) he should be OK.

They did also tell me that some cats need to have surgery to have this
problem taken care of.

He is expected to be at the vets office for another couple of days at
least... he has been there since the beginning of the week. At first
they were trying not to catheterize him, but he could not pee on his
own, his bladder was filling up and not being emptied.

They feel that once the bladder shrinks down to normal again, if it
remains that way for a couple of days he will be OK.

I am honestly wondering if we should just have the surgery done.

Now the good doctors want to save this cats life. This is the truth.
Get this: they are not charging me for keeping him for all this time!
Could a person ask for a better veterinarian? I don't care if we live
across the state from this guy... I think will keep going to him. As
it is now, they are one half hour to forty five minutes away from us.

The doctor told me last night we were welcome to visit Max while he is
there... but... a half hour to forty five minute drive? Gas is
expensive these days!!! But I would like to go see him.

I am thinking that what I will do is when I am back to work again I
will send them some contributions. Or maybe, if they don't mind, I
could just send them payments on the bill. I don't mind paying for all
of this... Unless it finally gets way, way out of line.

How much is realistic to spend on a cat?

My neighbor took in a stray. She is on assistance and she has a friend
who helped her get her cats UTI under control. I know there are ways
to get money and finances for this sort of thing.

But these veterinarians deserve a metal of honor. I am so grateful I
can't even fathom it! You know, they have as much schooling to pay for
as your average MD... They have tremendous expenses... they are paying
for all that state of the art tools to diagnose and do right by our
pets.

It is a gift.

I don't know why I am sharing this with you. No one need respond. I
see some really nice people on this board and it seems like a nice way
to get to know some new friends.

Thanks for listening :-)

Old January 31st 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"mc" wrote in message
[...]

Hi, welcome to the group (or un-lurking as the case may be).

First, I think a UTI (urinary tract infection) is not the same thing as a
blockage of the urethra (which is what this sounds like since they mentioned
"crystals"). I've hear of male cats who've had to have surgery to
(simplistically) remove the penis and create an opening more like a
female's. I really hope it doesn't come to that and that they can get rid
of his problem through a change in diet.

If you don't mind answering, I have a few questions for you (I'm interested
because, for the first time in my life, I have two male cats along with my
three females)...

Do you feed Max canned or dry food? Which brand do you use? Have you tried
a pet fountain to encourage him to drink more water?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 31st 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

I feed a high quality dry cat food. The veterinarian gave me a
prescription diet food that is made by Science Diet. Until the course
of his treatment is complete, I will have to stick with Science Diet.
I am not fond of Science Diet. I prefer Iams. Once the time comes I
plan to check out Iams to see what they have to offer for cats with
this issue. Of course, I will talk to the vet about it before I
switch. I have never tried a fountain. I have never had a problem like
this before. I will say that he does seem to drink a lot of water.

I really do not want this to become a discussion of whether Iams or
Science Diet is best. I would be interested in finding out what others
experiences have been though.

We have another male cat, Butterball. We have had other male cats in
the past... No problems. I realize that just because problems have not
surfaced in the past doesn't really mean anything.

The friend who gave me the cat shortly before all of this came up has
also offered to help with some of the expenses for Maxes care, but we
shall see what happens.

Old January 31st 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

If you really want to prevent crystals switch to a canned diet. I use
Wellness and add a little water to make it softer.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old January 31st 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Do you brush your cats teeth then? I know... I know... I have heard
the arguments for both canned food and dry food. If I switch over to
canned food I would feel compelled to begin doing some serious
research on mixing my own cat food... I would feel compelled to make
home made food for my cats. I am sort of an "all or nothing" kind of
person...

I guess the thing that scares me about making my own cat food is the
fear that I would, unknowingly, not be providing them some essential
nutrients.
Old January 31st 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Are you suggesting that a prescription dry cat food is not enough?
Old February 1st 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

mc asked:

Are you suggesting that a prescription
dry cat food is not enough?

YES!!!!!!

Old February 1st 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"mc" wrote in message
First, I think a UTI (urinary tract infection) is not the same thing as a
blockage of the urethra (which is what this sounds like since they
mentioned "crystals").

I had a long talk with my vet a couple weeks ago when our 3-year-old male
cat Biddle had a blockage. He said that infections (UTI's) are rare in cats,
and the more correct terminology is FLUTD -Feline Lower Urinary Tract
Disorder. The etiology isn't exactly known, but crystals form, a blockage
occurs, the cat strains to pass urine, which results in irritation, more
straining, more urgency, a vicious circle. No bacteria, no infection, so
antibiotics are useless.

After getting his bladder probed, upon which the vet got a stream of gritty
crystal-laden urine, Biddle got a shot of diazepam, to relax him so he could
urinate, and some Science Diet S/D. He is not to eat any dry food. I wonder
if this attack was brought on by his possible consumption of dry kitten
food - we recently acquired a kitten and Biddle is a food hog, and probably
chowed down on rich kitten fare.

Good luck with your cat.

Old February 1st 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I have a friend who just went through this with his cat. The cat nearly
died because of being blocked. My friend had no choice but to have the
surgery done on his cat. The cat has recovered well from the surgery. But
the vet told my friend that he should feed his cat prescription diet canned
food from now on.

I have another friend who's cat also was getting urinary infections
regularly. Her vet recommended that the cat have the surgery. They did the
surgery and the cat is doing well (about 3 years later) and has not had any
recurring problems even though the vet said that the cat could still have
problems.

S.
---

Old February 1st 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"mc" wrote in message
I feed a high quality dry cat food. The veterinarian gave me a
prescription diet food that is made by Science Diet. Until the course
of his treatment is complete, I will have to stick with Science Diet.
I am not fond of Science Diet. I prefer Iams. Once the time comes I
plan to check out Iams to see what they have to offer for cats with
this issue. Of course, I will talk to the vet about it before I
switch. I have never tried a fountain. I have never had a problem like
this before. I will say that he does seem to drink a lot of water.

I really do not want this to become a discussion of whether Iams or
Science Diet is best. I would be interested in finding out what others
experiences have been though.

I've heard that it's better to feed them even a bit lower-quality canned
diet since canned food is 70% water (which is the ratio of water in a cat's
natural prey). I feed mine Fancy Feast (the pate varieties) and they *LOVE*
it. I only pay $0.45 per can, so the cost is not prohibitive. Also, I
trust Purina it was the least affected by the recent cat food recall. Mine
also free feed on Science Diet dry, but since I have boys now I'm
considering weaning them off of that altogether.

We have another male cat, Butterball. We have had other male cats in
the past... No problems. I realize that just because problems have not
surfaced in the past doesn't really mean anything.

The friend who gave me the cat shortly before all of this came up has
also offered to help with some of the expenses for Maxes care, but we
shall see what happens.

I'm so glad your vet is working with you on this - what a wonderful guy/gal!

Hugs,

CatNipped