Advice needed - transporting cats to UK from Non EU country

Old February 6th 08, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Marcie

Default Advice needed - transporting cats to UK from Non EU country

Hi all,

I am planning on moving to the UK in about a year's time with my three
cats. The issue is that I live in Israel - a country not participating
in the PETS scheme which makes it possible for animals to bypass the
six month quarantine period. I spoke with a PETS representative and
they told me that the only way around that would be to transport my
pets to a participating country, and for the cats to be in that
country for at least six months and then follow the regulations set
out by the PETS scheme from that particular country. The closest
participating country to me is Greece, and so far, I have found only
one boarding cattery there.

I was wondering whether any of the readers here had similar
experiences, or can direct me to sites that can provide sufficient
guidance as to how to go about this. I have access to the PETS and
DEFRA sites already.

Much thanks!

Marcie
Old February 6th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:14:11 -0800 (PST), Marcie
wrote:

[...]

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...fo/outside.htm.
or http://tinyurl.com/2wdqt5

Petzl
--
LET'S LOOK OUT FOR AUSTRALIA
Terror hotline gets 71,000 calls per annum
Old February 6th 08, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Marcie

wrote:
[...]

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...res/support-in....
or http://tinyurl.com/2wdqt5

Petzl
--
LET'S LOOK OUT FOR AUSTRALIA
Terror hotline gets 71,000 calls per annumhttp://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/
Protecting our way of life from terrorist threat- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Petzl.. but as I said, I already have access to the DEFRA
website. I am researching these official sites, but would be
interested to hear from anyone who has experience or can point me to
an additional site where I can learn more about how this can be done.

Best,
Marcie
Old February 6th 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Marcie exclaimed (2/6/2008 3:44 PM):
[...]

I can't help with your query, but I do know of a good quarantine
facility in Yorkshire if you can't avoid some or all of the quarantine.
I've used this place a couple of times.

You gotta be careful of quarantine facilities in the UK, they're not as
a rule government controlled and I've heard some real horror stories.

I'm not sure you have to do the full six months - we moved to the UK
just as PETS was getting underway, and there were no "approved" airline
carriers from our location at that time. We followed all the other
rules, sent her to the quarantine facility, they did the paperwork
petitioning for "early release", and our cat was out of quarantine in 5
days. Have you researched Early Release?

jmc
Old February 6th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Marcie

On Feb 6, 2:06*pm, jmc wrote:
[...]

jmc- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, jmc..

I skimmed through the Early Release section in the DEFRA and PETS
sites, but understood it only applied for animals coming in from
participating countries. Israel is not a participant of the PETS
scheme so if I bring the cats directly in from Israel, they have to do
the full six months..

Thanks as well for offering up a recommendation of a quarantine
facility. I'll be based in the Brighton area.. so I would also be
interested in looking into facilities closer to where I'll be based,
in the event I can't get round this issue.

Marcie